PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on a Sealant or Gasket

RickOKC
07/06/2010, 09:00 PM
Ok… my little Mustang projects are nearing an end so now I’ll be able to concentrate a little more on my VX search again (well, not too much – summer is here which means working looong days and most weekends for the next few months.)

Just like Raisin Bran, my new hood has Two Scoops and they are ducted to the air box. The leading edge of the duct (toward the front edge of the hood) is supposed to be adhered to the underside of the hood with 3M tape. The sides and back are screwed into the fiberglass.

After test driving in a downpour, it’s obvious by the water spots that air is escaping out of the backside of the duct between the duct and the hood. I’m looking for something that would help maintain a good air-tight seal in the duct.

What ideas do you have?

http://members.cox.net/radams28/FrontCorner640.jpg

http://members.cox.net/radams28/Duct.jpg

Riff Raff
07/06/2010, 09:11 PM
Hmmm, my question is-- Where is all of the "rain water" escaping to after it's collected by the raisan bran scoops??? Do you have a water-soaked air cleaner element now???:_confused

RickOKC
07/06/2010, 09:47 PM
LOL! Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that was a big concern for me when I first found the hood, then dropped to 5% concern after I saw how everything was arranged and then went to 0% after this test drive.

The air goes through the "hood duct", turns 90 degrees down into another duct, drops a few inches, turns 45 degrees into the bottom of the air box (which has a 1/2" drain hole in the bottom.) The air filter is then 2 or 3" above the top of that last "45 degree duct."

I had perfect conditions to see exactly what could happen: 45 minutes out on the turnpike while it was raining so hard that I had to vary my speed between 40 & 65 MPH for safety. Typical Oklahoma, it went from deluge to dry pavement as if pulling in to a garage and I was able to immediately pull over at a rest stop and check everything out. There was a little moisture in the bottom of the box but the filter was bone dry.

Ldub
07/06/2010, 10:37 PM
I would mask it off on either side of the offending gap & lay a bead of clear 100% silicone caulking in there. Then strike it down with a moist fingertip, pull the masking tape & carefully smooth it down, again with a moist finger tip.

But that's just me, I did carpentry for 20 yrs & that's how I roll...:dan_ban:

If you do this, do it in a place where you are guaranteed a dust free environment for at least a few hours while the caulking sets up.

Another option would be clear acrylic latex caulking...it won't last as long, but is easier to remove if anything goes horribly wrong...:smilewink

Nice lookin' pony...:thumbup:

RamAirZ
07/06/2010, 11:12 PM
^ +1, I was going to suggest some silicone as well, and if you ever have to remove it, easy to get off. And dub said caulk, giggity. I've had alot of "ram air" hood on different vehicles and never had a problem with water getting in, shoot, the 98-02' WS6 trans am's had the ram air hood with air-box setup RIGHT behind the scoop, no issues there either. I think some people worry a little too much about the amount of water that actually makes it to the air box. Mustang looks good BTW

RickOKC
07/07/2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the advice and tips (and compliments :)) guys! As usual, I try to make things too complicated. Now where's that caulk (giggity x2) gun...?

Ldub
07/07/2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the advice and tips (and compliments :)) guys! As usual, I try to make things too complicated. Now where's that caulk (giggity x2) gun...?

If ya REALLY want a K I S S solution....use duct tape...:smilewink

RickOKC
07/07/2010, 06:09 PM
I didn't find the caulk gun yet, but the duct tape is RIGHT THERE!

rowhard
07/08/2010, 06:45 AM
but the duct tape is RIGHT THERE!

Ain't that great stuff.

Maybe you can come across some of that clear seam tape you see them using in Indy and F1 to seal seams between panels.

Just googled clear seam tape, lot's of hits and choices

nice stang