PDA

View Full Version : new head unit questions

DeafVX
08/27/2003, 07:10 PM
Hi...I decided to follow everyone's suggestion and get a new head unit. I am getting this one:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-Q4I4dZkmver/ProdView.asp?a=&s=0&cc=01&g=62700&id=essential_info&i=130DEHP550
a sweet deal...comes with the wire harness and install kit and is costing me $220 not including a 20 dollar mail in rebate.
I also got a pair of RCA with inline filters (mights as well get prepped for an amp (next month's buy). I will install the new head unit next weekend. Any suggestions or tips to know when replacing the stock unit?
Also what has everyone done with the CD player? Left it in? Removed it?

Greg

Hotsauce
08/27/2003, 08:30 PM
This is missing a very important feature for what you are trying to do. It only has 2 sets of preouts, front and rear, no sub out.

You can run the 4 speakers off of the amplified outputs, and hook the sub to the rear RCA's, but the amp will need a filter in it to cut signal above 80Hz. A better HU would have a 3rd set of preouts for non-fading sub, and the ability to control it from the face.

For $200 though its not a bad choice.

John C.

DeafVX
08/27/2003, 08:42 PM
Hotsauce,

The rear preamp out is set up to be a regualr rear rca or can be set to be a sub pre amp out so I am clear. It has built in filters for that and also the amp I will get is a sub amp and has the high pass filter (or low pass I always get them mized up) built into to it...so this HU meets what I am looking for. I will change the rear to a sub preamp (in the HU menu system) and should be in the clear. What recommendations do yo have for the CD player space...leave it in or take it and and make it a storage area?

Thanks

kpaske
08/27/2003, 09:22 PM
You'll more than likely want to replace or discard that stock CD changer eventually. Mine went out about a month after I purchased my VX brand new in 1999; I now have a nice in-dash single CD player and a storage spot where the CD changer used to reside. If you really want a changer, you could always buy an aftermarket unit and find a place to mount it, but I don't recommend the in-dash kind. They just tend to be a bit too fragile.

Installing your head unit should be a snap with the wire harness. Just connect all your leads to the harness in advance, and the rest is plug and play. I did mine in about 15 minutes in the parking lot of the store I bought the harness from.

Hotsauce
08/28/2003, 03:01 AM
Depending on the location of the antenna connecter on the HU you may need a short extention for that.

Because you have a high power HU, you will see an improvement in running a seperate heavy gauge power cord direct to the battery rather than pulling 12c off the thin wires on the harness.

John C.

Navigator
08/28/2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by DeafVX
.... Any suggestions or tips to know when replacing the stock unit?

Follow the step by step instructions Crutchfield will send you with the head unit. Their is nothing tricky about installing a head unit in a VX, phillips head screwdriver is the only tool you'll need. Allow yourself plenty of time, do not rush. Also, a good time to install the remote turn on wire and RCA's for your amp to avoid having to tear the head unit out again when ever you decide to install the amp.

Originally posted by DeafVX
.... Also what has everyone done with the CD player?

Replace the old CD changer with a storage bay. Some members like the OEM setup, so their will allways be a market. Keep the OEM stereo components to sell to fellow members or to return your VX to stock at resale.

Best of luck, I know you can do it :D

DeafVX
08/28/2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks navigator.
One note...I will never sell the Vx...:)

Where can you get a storage bay to put in place of the CD changer?
Thanks

Greg

Jonnie
08/28/2003, 06:03 PM
Seems to be part # 89711-47570

Jonathan

DeafVX
08/28/2003, 07:00 PM
Jonnie...where can you buy it?

AnalogVX
08/28/2003, 07:15 PM
I got mine at St. Charles Isuzu. Think I paid $12 shipped.

http://www.vehicross.info/links.php?op=visit&lid=11