PDA

View Full Version : tire sizes

Medman
08/27/2003, 06:22 PM
Just a few quick questions for all you tire gurus, is it possible to mount mud/dirt tires that are made for 17" rims onto the stock 18" rims of the VX? (2001) I have the money for new tires, but don't have the fundage for new rims and tires. So is this a possibility or am SOL and have to buy smaller rims for my off-roads.

Regarding tire sizes, when they measure 285x60x18, I get what the 18 refers to, but what about the other numbers? What is the maximum size tire I can get away with height-wise if I install the OME 2.5" lift made for the VX? If anybody can give me some help, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Heraclid
08/27/2003, 07:01 PM
Take this example:
P205/70R16 89S

The "P" stands for "P-Metric" or "Passenger". This means that it is a North American tire sizing designation.

The "205" is the width of a tire, also known as the "section width". This is the width of the tire in millimeters at its widest point.

The "70"is known as the Aspect Ratio. It is calculated by dividing the section height by the section width and multiplying by 100.

The "R" stands for Radial, meaning it has a radial construction.

The "15" stands for the diameter of the wheel in inches.

The "89" is a load rating for this tire.

The "S" is a speed rating for the tire.

SPAZZ
08/27/2003, 08:07 PM
what would make you think that a shoe size 9 would fit on my size 11 feet? same concept

Panther_Black_VX
08/27/2003, 08:25 PM
Great detailed explanation!

Originally posted by Heraclid
Take this example:
P205/70R16 89S

The "P" stands for "P-Metric" or "Passenger". This means that it is a North American tire sizing designation.

The "205" is the width of a tire, also known as the "section width". This is the width of the tire in millimeters at its widest point.

The "70"is known as the Aspect Ratio. It is calculated by dividing the section height by the section width and multiplying by 100.

The "R" stands for Radial, meaning it has a radial construction.

The "15" stands for the diameter of the wheel in inches.

The "89" is a load rating for this tire.

The "S" is a speed rating for the tire.

Navigator
08/28/2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Medman
Just a few quick questions for all you tire gurus, is it possible to mount mud/dirt tires that are made for 17" rims onto the stock 18" rims of the VX? (2001) I have the money for new tires, but don't have the fundage for new rims and tires. So is this a possibility or am SOL and have to buy smaller rims for my off-roads.

Regarding tire sizes, when they measure 285x60x18, I get what the 18 refers to, but what about the other numbers? What is the maximum size tire I can get away with height-wise if I install the OME 2.5" lift made for the VX? If anybody can give me some help, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Allthough tires are primarily made of a pliable rubbery compound, I seriously doubt it is possible to do so without doing some serious damage to the beads of the tires and possibly distorting your rims as well. BTW if your objective is to have mud/dirt tires on a budget, you can get a set of 4 steel 15" rims in our six lug bolt pattern for around $100 and their are plenty of economical mud tires in that rim size, many for under $100 per tire. 15's are ideal for off roading IMO. Good luck :luck:

TucsonVX
08/28/2003, 04:10 PM
So just go get 17inch rims