PDA

View Full Version : TOD question

Tiger66
08/27/2003, 10:15 AM
In the four years I’ve owned my VX, the TOD did not transfer much power to the front wheels unless there was a sudden acceleration and a loose surface. Recently my TOD appears to be erratically sending power forward during moderate acceleration. This happens on transmission up shifts and downshifts.

As an example, when accelerating after a turn the TOD dashboard lights will all flash up, then down, then up and down, etc. Based on visual observation of the lights and the feel of drive train, it would appear that the TOD may be detecting gearshifts as wheel slip and sends power up front. However, the TOD system is very smooth, so I don’t really feel it as much as I see it in the TOD dash lights.

I have owned this vehicle since new and it did not do this before. This light flashing is something I have observed as new within the last two weeks. In the past the little lights normally never went above one light lit; to get two or three to light, I would really have to try.

I took it to the local Isuzu dealer, who is marginally competent. They checked it out and said the computer did not throw any codes. They even ran it with the computer connected and saw nothing. The regional Isuzu tech assistance said that without codes and no obvious operational problems, just drive it.

The VX runs fine, however if something were going bad, I would prefer to catch it before it becomes a real problem.

Do any of you super VX tech types have an opinion? Do any of you other owners see those little lights flash up and down during acceleration? Thanks.

AlaskaVX
08/27/2003, 12:17 PM
I see the lights all the time, almost everytime I accel! But if it is happening WAY TOO often then first off check your tire pressure. If it still happens too often have a tech ride with you.

Heraclid
08/27/2003, 03:53 PM
Wish I could help more, but for what it's worth I also have a '99 and it's like you said yours used to be - unless I get in some sand or accelerate hard from a stop on rain-slicked roads, I don't see the TOD lights do much except for the normal engage/disengage at 5mph.

WyrreJ
08/27/2003, 05:01 PM
I do not see the lights much at all.

AlaskaVX - don't you have oversize tires on your VX? I thought it had been said that TOD can be finicky if the tire radius is too far out of OEM spec.

AlaskaVX
08/27/2003, 05:41 PM
I am using the stock tires right now, but when I first put them back on, one was low and it caused a problem such as what is discussed. I also drive fast, probobally faster than a lot of members to this forum and that would be a reason I see the lights a lot.

SPAZZ
08/27/2003, 08:37 PM
I have 32x11.5x17 SSR radials and I have no problem with the TOD... Serious... It works as should be and not Sporadic or eratic...

ps- I do not think you drive as fast as I ...and I do not see any abnormalities, just an ever desire for my VX to be a gas Vampire!!! Serious, maybe 250 miles per tank max...brand new I got 400 miles per tank.

Cptnmorgan
08/28/2003, 05:51 AM
I have this same problem also, I first noticed mine after I Put oversize tires on. It does not do it as much as it used too. Wondering if the computer has finally adjusted for the bigger tire size.

Navigator
08/28/2003, 06:21 AM
... I got that reply as well when I took mine in for the banging drive train... LOL. Anyways the "experts" got no clue from the computer, so their must "not" be a problem... So I was advised to "just drive it". In my case I needed a touch more fluid, case solved by the advice and experience of a fellow member. Thanks guys, this board is awsome :dance: