PDA

View Full Version : U Joints

VX crazy
07/01/2010, 10:50 AM
Wondering if any of you that have replaced yours have been able to find aftermarket heavy duty ones? I cant find em anywhere and before ordering stock ones I just wanted to check......

Triathlete
07/01/2010, 10:57 AM
Don't know of any HD aftermarket joints (though I haven't really looked) but the OEM ones tend to be pretty good. I don't know of anyone breaking one. They are a wear part so they do wear out over time however keeping them greased properly will extend their life.

tom4bren
07/01/2010, 11:15 AM
I think that if you want beefier U-Joints that the yokes would have to be replaced as well. There are shops that can do it but it would be expensive since it requires cutting, welding and rebalancing.

Like was stated above - OEM are fine, just keep them lubed.

BigSwede
07/01/2010, 12:30 PM
I am still running the original U-joints, if that tells you anything...

VX crazy
07/01/2010, 02:48 PM
well, just greased a couple months ago, but man it sounds like driving over rumble strips since coming back from Moab, I will try greasing again, if it doesnt get better will order new joints

BigMeatVX
07/02/2010, 12:10 AM
There is a Spicer replacment available for the front of the rear shaft, but I'm unsure of the rear one....

I have had to replace my rear driveline @ around 200K due to the splines in the slip yoke being worn, and causing vibration...FYI

VX crazy
07/02/2010, 04:52 AM
good to know Alan, but mine isnt vibrating, only sounds like grinding when I let off the gas, which to me is more reason to keep my foot in it! LOL But all this is just since the taller tires and new rear springs and trip to Moab!

Mile High VX
07/02/2010, 06:32 AM
which to me is more reason to keep my foot in it! LOL

Like you need a reason, right?

;)

BigSwede
07/02/2010, 09:43 AM
good to know Alan, but mine isnt vibrating, only sounds like grinding when I let off the gas
Actually mine is doing that too, but only when just very light throttle is applied (still slowing down). I have been waiting to see if it gets worse and turns into a real problem...

VX crazy
07/02/2010, 10:08 AM
Actually mine is doing that too, but only when just very light throttle is applied (still slowing down). I have been waiting to see if it gets worse and turns into a real problem...

Weird Steve, hmmm, mine is very similar....what did the trip do to them LOL, I been staying in the pedal and turning up the stereo!

VX crazy
07/03/2010, 07:36 PM
There is a Spicer replacment available for the front of the rear shaft, but I'm unsure of the rear one....

I have had to replace my rear driveline @ around 200K due to the splines in the slip yoke being worn, and causing vibration...FYI

So Alan are you saying there is replacement for front, and the brand is Spicer? I cant find anyone that knows anything about this in Austin.

BigSwede
07/03/2010, 08:10 PM
Weird Steve, hmmm, mine is very similar....what did the trip do to them LOL, I been staying in the pedal and turning up the stereo!
Heh, mine is pretty loud when it does it, you would probably freak.

FWIW it has been doing it for at least a year...might be a little louder now though.

LittleBeast
07/03/2010, 11:12 PM
yupe mine too, I am experiencing VERY loud vibrations in the drive line after letting off the accelerator. I just assumed it was bad gear mesh in the Diff or the vast change in the angle of the axle shaft after lifting. It definitely got way worse when I put in the 2" spacers, so much so I am thinking of removing them :(

Buffy
07/04/2010, 06:25 AM
Have you checked with the guys at Austin Drive Train? When I lived in Austin they did all my drive shaft work and I never had a minutes trouble with their work. Look them up, hopefully they are still in business. They were on 183 (or under if wou will) just before 183 meets IH35.

VX crazy
07/04/2010, 06:53 AM
Hey Greg, yes, they changed names but still same location, I called them, and they were not helpful on the phone at all, said they had NOTHING for my truck at all......

VX crazy
07/04/2010, 07:03 AM
yupe mine too, I am experiencing VERY loud vibrations in the drive line after letting off the accelerator. I just assumed it was bad gear mesh in the Diff or the vast change in the angle of the axle shaft after lifting. It definitely got way worse when I put in the 2" spacers, so much so I am thinking of removing them :(

Ryan when you coming to Austin next? We can have a little meet and compare our noises!

Mile High VX
07/04/2010, 09:42 AM
Ryan when you coming to Austin next? We can have a little meet and compare our noises!

I have no response to that...

VX crazy
07/04/2010, 10:26 AM
I have no response to that...

I almost fell out of my chair when I reread that....NOT what I meant.....Ryan knows me better than that, I 'tried' to give him a piggy back ride years ago at the houston museum......boy that floor was hard when I face planted!

MSHardeman
07/04/2010, 06:16 PM
......boy that floor was hard when I face planted!

I REALLY have no response to that....

BigSwede
07/15/2010, 02:16 PM

What is the diagnosis for this? unhook the front end of the driveshaft and check for free play?

circmand
07/15/2010, 02:49 PM
The VX driveline has 3 lube points that need to be kept lubed.

LittleBeast
07/16/2010, 02:03 AM
The VX driveline has 3 lube points that need to be kept lubed.

Yeah, and for those of us with upgraded swaybar bushings we have 7 lube points, and if you replace the rear links it would be up to 13 :) I have been faithful to lubing and my u-joints feel A-ok, but the driveshaft is making all kinds of noise :(