PDA

View Full Version : What parts should I make?

RabidPony
06/28/2010, 12:26 PM
Well, I have FINALLY gotten my GI Bill sorted out and Wyotech has gotten their act together enough for me to start back to school. That only took 10 months. :upsetgray Anyway, I am currently taking a chassis fab class where I will be learning to make frames, suspension components, cages, etc.

My question to all of you is.....What parts should I make for my VX? Three things I already have in mind are an adjustable panhard bar for a 2+ inch lift, a tubular center brace to clear the altered d/s angle on a lifted VX, and the winch mount for behind the front cladding. Anyone have any other good suggestions?

Edit: Oh, also maybe a sliding cargo basket to replace the rear seats.

Ascinder
06/28/2010, 12:48 PM
How about a roof rack basket actually made for the VX, something low profile that can hold a fullsize(and bigger) spare. Also, a semi-bolt in interior rollcage would be nice and so would some tube doors. I am trying to get my tubing bender completed so I can start doing several of these things myself, but I just thought I'd share my ideas. Another good one might be some tube fenders if you're feeling adventurous, but since most people aren't running solid front axles yet, that might be a little premature. Good luck!!

vt_maverick
06/28/2010, 01:54 PM
As long as we're dreaming, how about some reinforced half doors? There have been several threads over the years about running without doors and/or with half doors, especially while wheeling, but no one's attempted it that I'm aware of. Seems the difficulty plus concerns over reduced structural integrity have always ended the discussion.

And btw if you're looking to attempt a winch bumper, let me know and I'll take some pics / measurements to help you out. ;)

vt_maverick
06/28/2010, 01:58 PM
Couple small scale ideas: cargo box / universal mounting plate to store stuff in the rear door (I'm always interested in cargo space ideas ;)), driver's side seat extenders that still retain good leg room, reinforcement plate for Tone's hitch to facilitate great tongue weight...

tom4bren
06/28/2010, 02:20 PM
... reinforcement plate for Tone's hitch to facilitate great tongue weight...

I've got this one in work now. It'll be a new hitch tho, not something you add to the existing hitch.

vt_maverick
06/28/2010, 02:51 PM
Any word on price?

Marlin
06/28/2010, 03:14 PM
Man if you were closer, a tight fit exo would be so SWEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!

Grif
06/28/2010, 03:34 PM
How about a roof rack basket actually made for the VX, something low profile that can hold a fullsize(and bigger) spare.

X2!

ben-man
06/28/2010, 09:39 PM
Dunno if they exit already, but a combination nerf bar/slider would be cool. Don't even know if it's even possible with the cladding etc.
cheers.

FlyingV77
06/28/2010, 10:34 PM
just today i was thinking about a winch hiddin behind the front bumper cladding. with just a slit for the cable to come out.

Ldub
06/28/2010, 10:50 PM
just today i was thinking about a winch hiddin behind the front bumper cladding. with just a slit for the cable to come out.

It can be done, but I've heard it's not easy...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/121rubi.jpg

Photo horked from Swordys gallery.

tom4bren
06/29/2010, 03:41 AM
Any word on price?

Nah, the 'Tone Clone' hitches would go for about $150. We haven't even measured for dimensions on the new design yet.

I've got 1 Tone Clone hitch available now without the safety chain hoops. That's like what I'll be running since I can put them on the receiver down near the ball.

I'll try to post some pix soon.

Marlin
06/29/2010, 08:13 AM
The roof basket for oversized spare...

Good idea, I think I will cut my basket tonight to fit my 33" spare. I will use my exisitng rack though...

nfpgasmask
06/29/2010, 09:04 AM
How about a roof rack basket actually made for the VX, something low profile that can hold a fullsize(and bigger) spare.
That's what I was gonna say. A versatile roof rack system is definitely in order. As for the winch bumper, DEFINITELY hide it behind the cladding.

Bart

ZubrAZ
06/29/2010, 09:44 AM
i would +1 on roof rack. im currently digging the idea of removing the rails and getting to try the one from 1990 4runner and also want to try one from Grand Caravan (it seems to be easily adjsutable/cutable)

etlsport
06/29/2010, 10:56 AM
see www.rocky-road.com for ideas on the slider/nerf bar, they have one called a "super slider" i think, already have one designed for the VX

RabidPony
06/29/2010, 07:26 PM
Also, a semi-bolt in interior rollcage would be nice and so would some tube doors

Another idea I had. I was also thinking of a harness bar that would bolt in in place of the rear seat to accommodate the shoulder straps of a four point harness. Have it sturdy but small enough to take in and out.

And btw if you're looking to attempt a winch bumper, let me know and I'll take some pics / measurements to help you out. ;)

YES! Please! That would be a massive help. :yeso:

cargo box / universal mounting plate to store stuff in the rear door (I'm always interested in cargo space ideas ;))

I REALLY like this idea. Make it fit under the rear cover or stand alone?

Dunno if they exit already, but a combination nerf bar/slider would be cool. Don't even know if it's even possible with the cladding etc.
cheers.

Hmmm, I like this one too. :thumbup:

Thanks for the awesome ideas folks.

As far as making a roof rack system, I already have a 696 that I picked up from that Hyundai dealership that someone found. I was thinking about making a bracket system for mounting lights to it without having to cut or drill it. Anything I make I will try to keep templates of so I can do a finalized blueprint so others can duplicate the work if they like. Or maybe I'll just buy myself a welding setup and a tubing bender and open up shop. :bwgy:

blacksambo
06/29/2010, 08:44 PM
There's no question the number one thing the VX needs for long term survival is the front and rear bumper tubes!!!!!

Grif
06/29/2010, 08:47 PM
As far as making a roof rack system, I already have a 696 that I picked up from that Hyundai dealership that someone found.

Much of the reason people are asking for a roof rack is because the currently available solutions are not acceptable.

I myself find the Thule racks to be toadly fugly. They do not fit the aesthetics of the VX at all. (well, mebbe an Astral). And the Yakima Loadwarrior racks sit too high, are too expensive and slightly too large IMHO. Those are the only options we have.

I wish I had the skills and equip to post such a thread. "Making" parts is beyond my skillset and I applaud yours.

Petos
06/29/2010, 10:42 PM
Couple small scale ideas: cargo box / universal mounting plate to store stuff in the rear door (I'm always interested in cargo space ideas ;)), driver's side seat extenders that still retain good leg room

+2 on these ideas, would definitely love to have those... +if anyone could do a batch of JDM style wind deflectors, would be perfect, too, they are in great demand and very hard to find..

pbkid
06/30/2010, 12:11 AM
i know that if i still had my VX i would want- #1- tube fenders .......and #2- a 'gobi' style rack that would be strong enough to really put some weight on, that would wrap around the edges of the vehicle.
http://www.gobiracks.com/

RamAirZ
06/30/2010, 04:09 AM
i know that if i still had my VX i would want- #1- tube fenders .......and #2- a 'gobi' style rack that would be strong enough to really put some weight on, that would wrap around the edges of the vehicle.
http://www.gobiracks.com/

I built a rack similar to the Gobi rack for my Rodeo:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1997%20Isuzu%20Rodeo%20Pics/IMG_3274.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1997%20Isuzu%20Rodeo%20Pics/IMG_3273.jpg

I'm thinking about making a tube bumper/fender combo. I was staring at my truck yesterday with the rear cladding off and coming up with ideas lol. I think I wanna find a wrecked VX thought and do it, I'm thinking stinger style front bumper with skid plate and winch, tube fenders that run along the stock "rivet" lines and maintain the stock upper fender up front and still working on the rear setup (have all the metal behind the cladding for the interior will look ugly with cladding off, maybe just trimming back cladding and running along it? I'll have to pull the 1/4's off and see what it looks like). It'll be awhile though. I'd love to see the winch bumper too and the interior cage would be sweet

RallyDude
07/05/2010, 12:05 AM
I'd post a pic but my main computer is down. etrailer sells a lower profile Rola safari rack that fits a big spare, and has front and rear curves that match the VX. It is super beefy, and at $150 shipped, it's a deal.

vt_maverick
07/05/2010, 07:05 AM
I'd post a pic but my main computer is down. etrailer sells a lower profile Rola safari rack that fits a big spare, and has front and rear curves that match the VX. It is super beefy, and at $150 shipped, it's a deal.

Here you go...

http://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Cargo-Carrier/Rola/59504.html

http://www.rolaproducts.com/shop/prodphoto/59504.jpg

RamAirZ
07/05/2010, 10:30 AM
I think I just found the rack I'm going to order :)