PDA

View Full Version : major dilema

FlyingV77
06/26/2010, 09:36 PM
i love my vx, but its WAY to nice to risk messing up by off roading it. should i just do it and risk the dints dings ans scraches. or should i get a cheep beater do a full body rhino liner and lift, intirer tear out ect. and beat it up some more. please help!

Triathlete
06/26/2010, 09:42 PM
You only live once!:bgwo:
Just learn to pick good lines! Although if you push it hard enough the inebitable will happen sooner or later...as a few of us know 1st hand!:yeso:
COME TO THE DARK SIDE LUKE!

RallyDude
06/27/2010, 03:28 AM
The VX is a competent solid truck made for off-roading. In near stock condition, it won Paris-Dakar. It's ok to get some trail "badges." Kind of a waste not to.

Mile High VX
06/27/2010, 10:58 AM
Unless you got one sitting on about 5K miles then get out and enjoy it...it was made for FUN.

Gizmo42
06/27/2010, 12:16 PM
I would have the same problem. If I had a vx I wouildnt want to beat it up off road unless it was already beat up. I'd have to save it for DD use and get something else for offroad. Amigos are the same size and have better visibility, also cheaper.

Marlin
06/27/2010, 12:39 PM
I would have the same problem. If I had a vx I wouildnt want to beat it up off road unless it was already beat up. I'd have to save it for DD use and get something else for offroad. Amigos are the same size and have better visibility, also cheaper.

Booooo!!!! What a waste of a VX. Take it out and have fun. After all, it is just a car, and like Rallydude and MileHigh said, unless its cherry and virtually zero miles, its not really worth anything, and you might as well use it what it was meant for. Its like owning Snap On tools, and not using them and instead buying cheap Harbor Freight tools to actually use. If you do choose to trail it, make sure you get some rock sliders. They are worth their weight in gold. Good luck in whatver you choose.

THE FORCE IS STRONG IN BILLY.

Triathlete
06/27/2010, 02:28 PM

Until you got it off road just once!:bwgy:

BigSwede
06/27/2010, 03:19 PM
I can attest that there is a certain freedom in having a dedicated wheeling vehicle. Especially when stuff breaks or you are doing a month-long Teralow install, you still have your DD to go to work in...

Triathlete
06/27/2010, 03:55 PM
I can attest that there is a certain freedom in having a dedicated wheeling vehicle. Especially when stuff breaks or you are doing a month-long Teralow install, you still have your DD to go to work in...

Thats what Honda's are for!:bwgy:

Riff Raff
06/27/2010, 07:43 PM
Just learn to pick good lines! Although if you push it hard enough the inebitable will happen sooner or later...as a few of us know 1st hand!:yeso:

I totally agree 100% with all of the comments. You can still take your VX off-road and enjoy it!!! As TRIATHLETE said, the key is to just pick the right lines and also have a good spotter with you for the tricky areas.

ALWAYS be in 4WL while off-road and just go slow and methodical. If you get to a certain point on the trail where it starts to get challenging (possibly stuck) or you feel very uncomfortable of possibly marring your VX with battle-scars, then simply turn around and pick another easier trail (no harm, no foul).

If you want to go fast and radical off-road, then put on a helmet and use a small 4-wheel "Quad" type ORV with a built-in roll bar for that type of spirited off-road driving.

Bottom line-- get out and use your VX for what it was designed for. Just be safe, use YOUR common sense (not someone else's common sense) and never put yourself or your VX in harms way. Lastly, be very weary of any of your motivated (intoxicated) friends that say "Come-on Dude; you can make it, it's easy!!!" That's the point went stuff starts to go South, and your VX gets damaged or someone gets hurt.

Triathlete
06/27/2010, 08:02 PM
And you might not want to follow anyone that has liscense plates reading ZUICIDL:bgwo:

Ldub
06/27/2010, 10:42 PM
Just be safe, use YOUR common sense (not someone else's common sense).

Now re-explain how I'm supposed to utilize a spotter again?...:confused:...:_confused

I get so confused when you post conflicting "fact"...:_thinking

Riff Raff
06/28/2010, 02:13 AM
Now re-explain how I'm supposed to utilize a spotter again?...:confused:...:_confused

Only for your confused benefit, I'll clarify myself L-Dub. Over the years, I've had various joker's (normally a co-worker or passerby) that said "Hey there, sure I can help guide you backing-up".......Come on back, come on back, keep coming, keep coming. All the while, I'm double-checking my mirrors and something just doesn't feel right. I stop and get out to take a peek for myself and this yahoo was deliberately trying to back me into a low slung concrete post or other obstacle in a twisted attempt to have me damage my own vehicle (my DD, not my VX). Consequently; your assigned spotter should be someone you know and trust, and not some prankster-gangster having evil thoughts.

MSHardeman
06/28/2010, 08:15 AM
FlyingV,

I used to be, and to a great extent still am, just like you. I LOVE my VX and I don't want to hurt it. With that said, though, it is SO much fun to wheel these things. I went out to Moab four years ago, with the intention of just watching everyone, but once I got offroad I loved it. As others have said, as long as you take your time, pick a good line, or trust a good spotter you should be just fine. As many who have been behind me in Moab will attest to, I tend to drive like a grandma coming home from church on Sunday when I'm offroad, and anytime something doesn't feel right I stop for a second to gather myself before going on.

Unless you do something really drastic, most pinstripes and scuffs will buff right out.

I say give it a shot. Pick a nice easy trail to begin with so you and the VX can get used to each other and then ramp it up until you're right on the edge of your comfort zone.

Oh, and take pictures to share with everyone here.

Triathlete
06/28/2010, 01:41 PM
FlyingV,

I used to be, and to a great extent still am, just like you. I LOVE my VX and I don't want to hurt it. With that said, though, it is SO much fun to wheel these things. I went out to Moab four years ago, with the intention of just watching everyone, but once I got offroad I loved it. As others have said, as long as you take your time, pick a good line, or trust a good spotter you should be just fine. As many who have been behind me in Moab will attest to, I tend to drive like a grandma coming home from church on Sunday when I'm offroad, and anytime something doesn't feel right I stop for a second to gather myself before going on.

:yesy: :yesy: :yesy: :yesy:
And holding his quivering hand a few times helped also:bwgy::laughy::laughy:

MSHardeman
06/28/2010, 03:03 PM
Billy ain't lyin'. I know someone has at least one picture of Todd Adams holding my hand as I drove down an obstacle a couple of years ago out in Moab.:rolleyes: (maybe Cece?)

FlyingV77
06/28/2010, 10:14 PM
im more of a balls to the wall mudder, not so much a rock crawler. the reasons i was looking for a beater is you can get one less or about the same as an atv, and have a back up vehicle. on another note. i found the best trail in the world! its the alley behind my new house. it has every thing one could ask for in trail, i guess thats what i get for moving into the gheto ;)

MSHardeman
06/29/2010, 07:48 AM
If it's muddin' you're doin' then I would say to get a beater rig. Our alternators hang pretty low in our engine bays and have been known to fry themselves when subjected to a muddy water bath. And if you're going all out in the mud, it's hard to "pick a good line" since you'll probably barely be able to see where you're going any way. That's my two cents.