PDA

View Full Version : 4wd Hi Lo delete?

Luna X
06/24/2010, 02:00 PM
Since I won't be doin' any true hardcore 4 wheelin', I was wondering if the gear shifter for 4wd hi-lo could be deleted. We really like the sure footed feeling the TOD gives on the road, but I don't know when 4wd lo would ever be used... since we live in the asphalt desert.

It seems to me that would be an ideal spot for a couple drink holders... So as to stay hydrated in this heat... :yesb:

Any thoughts to this mod?

Triathlete
06/24/2010, 02:24 PM
I say leave it as is even if you do not plan on using it. You never know when you might want to hit the unplowed roads of northern Az to get some fresh powder ski/snowboard time or may need to forge your way across a monsoon season swollen wash to rescue some damsel in distress.:yesy:

tomdietrying
06/24/2010, 02:28 PM
Since I won't be doin' any true hardcore 4 wheelin', I was wondering if the gear shifter for 4wd hi-lo could be deleted. We really like the sure footed feeling the TOD gives on the road, but I don't know when 4wd lo would ever be used... since we live in the asphalt desert.

It seems to me that would be an ideal spot for a couple drink holders... So as to stay hydrated in this heat... :yesb:

Any thoughts to this mod?

What????? This is a bad joke, right?

Peace.
Tom

Riff Raff
06/24/2010, 02:30 PM
You must be joking, right??? If you really want a AWD "crossover" type vehicle without a 4WL shifter, there are plenty of them currently available on the market from nearly every major manufacturer. Before I would attempt to remove/delete the 4WL shifter within the VX, I would highly recommend a FOR SALE sign be placed in the side and rear windows of the VX. Sell the VX and move on to something more akeen to your personal lifestyle and environment. Butchering the VX by removing/deleting the 4WL shifter is not a worthy mod.:noo:

Ldub
06/24/2010, 02:38 PM
Well...at least it would be easy to pick a name for your VX...:yesgray:

You could call it "neuter"...:laughing:

vt_maverick
06/24/2010, 02:38 PM
I say remove the center console, take a Dremel to the shift lever and cut it down to the floorboard, then retrofit cup holders. Personally I wouldn't do it, but hey it's your VX! :D

VX KAT
06/24/2010, 02:50 PM
There's other ideas for cupholders, before you go through all the trouble of trying to delete the 4lo...

I got this from ultimatecupholders.com...metal tab slips under housing. Felt lined stainless steel "arms" can be squeezed together or opened to fit bottle size. They are for mostly German luxury cars, but I called company and he helped me select one that would work in VX. It does NOT get in the way of my leg, whatsoever, doesn't even touch my leg, but the bottle/can does sit at an angle, but if tab arm was lengthened, you could bend it to more of a 90 degree angle and can would sit more upright. I Love it! Think I paid about $25-$30.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_1868.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_1865.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_1854.JPG

Can't recall the name of this right now, but it fits with a slight dremel action to one side of base, widens and closes to fit bottle/can size, about $20 I think.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/cupholder31.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/cupholder11.jpg

Triathlete
06/24/2010, 03:47 PM
...besides,, you never know when you will need it to crawl over the speed bumps at the mall!:bwgy:

Luna X
06/24/2010, 04:15 PM
I KNEW I would cause an uproar with that question... ;)

You are right Billy, about the speed bumps... I have a 350Z with lowered suspension that almost gets high sided tryin' to get over those things.

With the 20" wheels and 50 series tires I put on the VX, it's more of an Urban Assault Vehicle we bought as a daily driver for my wife. She is a nurse and an instructor, so she goes all over the Phoenix area. The VX is a world better in handling than the Rodeo she owned for the last 10 years.

I did however just think of a possible need for 4 lo... Pulling a boat out from a boat launch. (that's if we get a boat)

Marlin
06/24/2010, 04:43 PM
Is this thread a joke. Have you done no research on the forum. What would you do when the zombie revolution comes? Bet you wish you had 4lo when you were trying to get out of some mall parking lot...:rolleyes:

Luna X
06/24/2010, 05:13 PM
You must be joking, right??? If you really want a AWD "crossover" type vehicle without a 4WL shifter, there are plenty of them currently available on the market from nearly every major manufacturer. Before I would attempt to remove/delete the 4WL shifter within the VX, I would highly recommend a FOR SALE sign be placed in the side and rear windows of the VX. Sell the VX and move on to something more akeen to your personal lifestyle and environment. Butchering the VX by removing/deleting the 4WL shifter is not a worthy mod.:noo:

I don't know of any other crossover that has 2 doors and the great overall looks as the VX. We don't need a huge people mover... It's just me, my wife, and the 2 huskies.
Also, what else has the appearance of the VX for $7k?

Marlin
06/24/2010, 05:52 PM
Like it or not, the santa fe shares some front end, especially the fenders, similarities to the VX:(

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/sbessette91/StevinsRandomPictures143.jpg

Ldub
06/24/2010, 05:59 PM
Like it or not, the santa fe shares some front end, especially the fenders, similarities to the VX:(

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/sbessette91/StevinsRandomPictures143.jpg

But is it a 2 door?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC00712.JPG

Riff Raff
06/24/2010, 06:51 PM
I don't know of any other crossover that has 2 doors and the great overall looks as the VX. We don't need a huge people mover... It's just me, my wife, and the 2 huskies.

Well, I just found your Wifey's next vehicle that has great sexy looks, is specifically a 2-door Coupe and AWD without the dreaded 4WL shift lever, and also has the required cup holders!!! Enter the 2010 Audi - "A5" Coupe with Quattro AWD. Just drive the VX on down to your local Audi dealer and trade it in on a "A5" Coupe (buy "used" so you can save a few pennies). You will surely get lucky with the Wifey after you both return home with her new "A5"!!! Plus, your two Huskies will just love poking their noses out the window after they're done chewing up the rear leather seats. You're welcome!!!:bgwb:

tomdietrying
06/24/2010, 08:03 PM

Let me say it again for you Marlin.......................What????? This is a bad joke, right?

Peace.
Tom

RallyDude
06/24/2010, 08:18 PM
You do realize that if you do not need the 4WLO, you could easily drive any number of vehicles that would give you double the gas consumption. If you ever plan on selling, a low range delete could cost you thousands, but hey, everybody likes cupholders. I know, everyone has a vision of what they want in a car, and if that's what you want your VX to be, go for it. Maybe you could turn the transfer gear selector into an ipod holder! If you like the looks of your VX, and you don't mind putting all that gas into it, go ahead. There's plenty of places for cupholders, keep the low range, you'll never know when you may need it.

crotchrocket
06/25/2010, 03:06 AM
No offence guys, but you lot are OBSESSED with drinks holders!!

And that santa fe is a Nasty car! the only similarity i can see is that and the VX both have 4 wheels and two headlights :D

ps. why dont you get a motorbike or drummers cup holder which will clamp to the shaft of the HI/LO shifter ??

tom4bren
06/25/2010, 06:01 AM
Luna,

It's your VX so you can do what you want. It should be possible to do what you're thinking about but you'll be blazing new trails here since obviously nobody on the forum has even considered doing that mod.

Do NOT put your VX in 4LO on dry pavement. The VX has enough grunt to pull a boat up the ramp in TOD. Some people do put it in 4LO for launching a boat or backing it into the driveway & 99.9% of the time nothing breaks ... but ... in 4LO there is no slip between the front & rear axles. If you're going in a straight line, OK, but as soon as you turn, the front & rear wheels take a different track & either tires have to slip or gears have to break.

tom4bren
06/25/2010, 06:09 AM
No offence guys, but you lot are OBSESSED with drinks holders!!

LMAO

It's the little things in life that keep us entertained.

Personally, I like our 'cup launcher' (can't remember who to give credit to for that phrase but use it alla time). It's second nature now to grab whatever is sitting in the console whenever I hit the brakes.

When I had the accident a few weeks back, I ended up with approximately 60oz of Iced Tea on the floorboard of the VX.:)

Luna X
06/25/2010, 08:48 AM
Luna,

It's your VX so you can do what you want. It should be possible to do what you're thinking about but you'll be blazing new trails here since obviously nobody on the forum has even considered doing that mod.

Do NOT put your VX in 4LO on dry pavement. The VX has enough grunt to pull a boat up the ramp in TOD. Some people do put it in 4LO for launching a boat or backing it into the driveway & 99.9% of the time nothing breaks ... but ... in 4LO there is no slip between the front & rear axles. If you're going in a straight line, OK, but as soon as you turn, the front & rear wheels take a different track & either tires have to slip or gears have to break.

Thanks for that onfo!... Now I really have no idea when I would need 4lo.

I guess I won't be invited to Moab... I'm gonna take my toy and go home. Didn't realize this was a 4wd only forum.

Luna X
06/25/2010, 08:54 AM
Well, I just found your Wifey's next vehicle that has great sexy looks, is specifically a 2-door Coupe and AWD without the dreaded 4WL shift lever, and also has the required cup holders!!! Enter the 2010 Audi - "A5" Coupe with Quattro AWD. Just drive the VX on down to your local Audi dealer and trade it in on a "A5" Coupe (buy "used" so you can save a few pennies). You will surely get lucky with the Wifey after you both return home with her new "A5"!!! Plus, your two Huskies will just love poking their noses out the window after they're done chewing up the rear leather seats. You're welcome!!!:bgwb:

Cool... maybe I can start a collection from everyone to come up with the $35k it would take to buy something like that. Or, maybe you could loat us an interest free loan.

Seems like a lot of people don't really like their VX for it's road driving capabilities...

tom4bren
06/25/2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for that onfo!... Now I really have no idea when I would need 4lo.

I guess I won't be invited to Moab... I'm gonna take my toy and go home. Didn't realize this was a 4wd only forum.

From what another member indicated, he puts his in 4LO to back his boat into the driveway alla time & never experienced any problems. In my old Samuraii the 4WD was very touchy in regards to dry pavement. My transfer case got wound up several times but luckly I was able to get it out without any damage.

If you insist on doing it, at least install locking hubs on the front wheels & leave them unlocked when in 4LO on dry pavement.

Don't take your toy & go home. Bring it to Moab & we'll show you what it was made for (I hope to make my first trip to Moab in 2011 ... we can learn together).

BigMeatVX
06/25/2010, 10:41 AM
OK...Ill go easiser on ya than others have....

You simply need a transfer case out of an Axiom or TOD trooper, and the computer also...
This bolts right up with Zero driveline mods and allows all the same TOD, HI, LO functions...BUT it does not have the shift lever!!! It uses a small electric motor instead...

This will solve your issues....But you should still come to MOAB!

Scott Larson
06/25/2010, 10:52 AM
Ahh yes, cup holders; without those and ipod holders, cell phone holders and Big Mac holders, how could we possibly multitask whilst driving down the road? No wonder there's so many friggen accidents these days... Whatever happened to taking driving seriously? Now, where did I put my Beam & Coke? Obviously NOT in the cup holder I DON'T have! Just kidding guys...

JAMAS
06/25/2010, 11:48 AM
If you dont have a passenger with you, slide the passenger seat extender out......Bam! cup holders a plenty. Its even adjustable based on cup size.

Marlin
06/25/2010, 12:22 PM
If you dont have a passenger with you, slide the passenger seat extender out......Bam! cup holders a plenty. Its even adjustable based on cup size.

Damn, I have been driving this thing for 18 months and never thought of doing that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You sir are a genius. I owe you one :_beer:

Triathlete
06/25/2010, 12:29 PM
Just a FYI...a water bottle (cycling type) fits perfectly in the VX's square "cup holder".:yeso:

And Luna...don't go running off. Some on here just feel stronger and voice their opinion more than others. There are plenty of VXers on this site who have never and will never take their VX off road. Everyone here is pretty good people and family/friend worthy. Some you just need to get used to their joking and good ribbing. In general, unless it is tech related, most of my posts need to be taken with a grain of salt. Besides, we need more active 'Zonie VXers on here!:bwgy:

RamAirZ
06/25/2010, 01:35 PM
I actually utilize the square cup holder all the time, it fits my 12oz cans, fast food drink cups and drink bottles fairly well.

Luna X
06/26/2010, 07:02 AM
Really...people!?

Like I would really take a cut off wheel to my gear lever... now that is crazy talk.

I haven't had the chance to look yet, but if I remember, most gear shifters come off with a single bolt or pin... then look!, it can magically be put back in if needed.

I'll make sure to drive 4 hrs out of my way in an effort to find bad weather or harsh trails just for a reason to put the VX into 4lo.......... Does anybody remember that these things are IN 4wd already??