PDA

View Full Version : Hard to find / Nearly-impossible to find parts?

angeno
06/23/2010, 07:40 PM
Having owned several VX's through the years, I'm once again considering taking the plunge. However, one major concern tempers my enthusiasm. Which is, what happens when parts become so scarce that the pleasure of owning and driving the VX is largely mitigated by the difficulty in keeping the thing in one functional piece. For instance, I have read about the difficulties some of you folks have encountered in attempting to replace U-Joint parts. I've also read about the nice guy Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu who apparently has been archiving a store of hard to find parts which he makes available to your community. All well and good. But, what happens when that OEM well runs dry --- and worse, when there are no more donor VX's to pick apart for needed VX-specific pieces?

After all, at least to my knowledge, unlike the '69 Camaro for example, there is not a huge amount of reproduction parts being made for the VX.

I've read through numerous posts on similar subjects and am touched and heartened by your enthusiasm as a group. Clearly, you guys love your VX's and even better, you seem to care for each other -- helping out as you can. This is great and something I'd love to contribute to if I decide to buy a VX. The upshot for me though can be framed in the following concise inquiry.

For someone who would intend to own and drive a VX fairly regularly for the next five or ten years, what percentage of parts would turn out to be either difficult or impossible to obtain? I look forward to hearing from you and whether or not I do buy a VX, my heart will always beat a bit faster when seeing one out in the world....

RamAirZ
06/24/2010, 06:59 AM
Honestly the mechanicals of the VX aren't hard to find parts for. Pretty much everything on them is Trooper. OEM shocks are different but you can use aftermarket shocks. The hard to find stuff is mainly body parts, interior trim, etc etc. Also the CV joints (which I assume you meant when you wrote u-joint) can be had from other Isuzu's as well, I haven't checked myself but have been told a 95+ Trooper CV shaft will fit perfectly and also Marlin said 98+ Rodeo/Passport ones work too. If you get in an accident with one it may be hard to find stuff for it (unless your Tom lol) but other than that I think just to keep it running in tip-top shape, you'll be fine. That's just my opinion though

Ldub
06/24/2010, 07:42 AM
Having owned several VX's through the years, I'm once again considering taking the plunge. However, one major concern tempers my enthusiasm. Which is, what happens when parts become so scarce that the pleasure of owning and driving the VX is largely mitigated by the difficulty in keeping the thing in one functional piece. For instance, I have read about the difficulties some of you folks have encountered in attempting to replace U-Joint parts. I've also read about the nice guy Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu who apparently has been archiving a store of hard to find parts which he makes available to your community. All well and good. But, what happens when that OEM well runs dry --- and worse, when there are no more donor VX's to pick apart for needed VX-specific pieces?

After all, at least to my knowledge, unlike the '69 Camaro for example, there is not a huge amount of reproduction parts being made for the VX.

I've read through numerous posts on similar subjects and am touched and heartened by your enthusiasm as a group. Clearly, you guys love your VX's and even better, you seem to care for each other -- helping out as you can. This is great and something I'd love to contribute to if I decide to buy a VX. The upshot for me though can be framed in the following concise inquiry.

For someone who would intend to own and drive a VX fairly regularly for the next five or ten years, what percentage of parts would turn out to be either difficult or impossible to obtain? I look forward to hearing from you and whether or not I do buy a VX, my heart will always beat a bit faster when seeing one out in the world....

From what I've understood from the above, it is my opinion that you are better suited for a more pedestrian vehicle.
Something far more common, with fewer worries...:yesgray:

VX crazy
06/24/2010, 08:12 AM
I agree with ldub.....

nfpgasmask
06/24/2010, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I tend to agree with LDUB as well, however I also will say this. I personally love my VX so much, that I have taken it 'out of service' so to speak, as my full time daily driver. Why? Because I want to decrease the probability of getting in a wreck or acquiring some damage that would force me to need to replace body parts.

Body parts are going to be what dries up. I think we are seeing this already.

The bottom line is this: The VX is a rare, halo vehicle that is destined to become an even rarer collector car.

So you have 3 options, IMO.

1) Buy a VX and baby it, keep it as a collector car, driving it as little as possible.

2) Buy a VX worry free and drive the heck out of it and have a blast and don't worry about the consequences.

3) Buy something like a Toyota 4Runner so you will have the comfort of knowing you can get parts for it.

If I were in your shoes, I would opt for option 2, with option 1 in mind a few years from now. I am personally at option 1 right now, and I will likely stay there forever, especially once I get some body work done.

Whatever you choose, know that we are here to help you!

:) Bart

RamAirZ
06/24/2010, 08:59 AM
You should add Bart that buying another vehicle to drive everyday makes things alot easier. I currently DD mine but plan on buying something else soon, not so much to keep miles off the VX in my case, but more so that I can have it down to do modifications without having to worry about having a vehicle if I need one. My wife needs her car for work so I need to have something in case i need to take the kids somewhere

Triathlete
06/24/2010, 10:04 AM
I drive my VX daily and wheel the snot out of it...I will worry about the parts shortage if/when that time comes! The VX is meant to be enjoyed!:bwgy:

Most parts as said above are shared with other Zu's. As time goes by the creative/mechanically inclined are also finding new options (i.e. Bigmeatvx's bolt on 5-speed tranny). I am sure if it ever comes down to it the cladding pieces will be able to be copied in fiberglass by some crafty individual and metal can always be reshaped! At least thats what I keep telling myself:bwgy:

Marlin
06/24/2010, 10:44 AM
YI currently DD mine but plan on buying something else soon, not so much to keep miles off the VX in my case, but more so that I can have it down to do modifications without having to worry about having a vehicle if I need one.

I like the way you think. They are 100% correct. Most mechanicals can be scavenged off of the flood of Zus thanks to Cash for Clunkers. There are few that can't be obtained, but with some creativity, and a grinder, most parts can be modified to fit.
Plastic is our biggest downfall.
I am like Billy (triathelete) I beat the piss out of mine, take VERY good care of it as far as maintenance and I will worry about broken stuff when the time comes. It is by far the coolest car to drive ever. It turns heads everywhere, it could be at an exotic car show, and hold its own.
GO FOR IT!!!! (only if you are going to use it, none of this garaged for three years hoo ha;Do;)

vt_maverick
06/24/2010, 01:16 PM
From what I've understood from the above, it is my opinion that you are better suited for a more pedestrian vehicle.

I agree with ldub.....

That's a bit harsh don't you think? Personally I think it's a pretty reasonable concern for a new owner - regardless of how "hardcore" you are about owning a VX and finding parts, the ugly truth is that it can be downright expensive, and likely to only get worse over time. Don't relegate the guy to a Camry just because he's doing diligent research.

FWIW, I say take the plunge. As others have pointed out, the mechanicals are more or less readily available, and I can attest from endless eBay searches that body panels and cladding are available if you're patient.

GO FOR IT!!! :D

Ldub
06/24/2010, 02:06 PM
That's a bit harsh don't you think?

Ummmmmm...no.

That opinion is based on years of experience.

IMO, if you're not "OMG, that's the coolest PUV on the planet...I just GOTTA have one" right outta the gate, then 9 times out of 10, people will research & research & reasearch & research, then eventually fade away...:_confused

Even if you ARE "OMG, that's the coolest PUV on the planet...I just GOTTA have one" right out of the gate, I still see a one in three chance you won't be around for 18 months...seen Tbigity around lately?

I see your "harsh" as a realistic way of looking at things, no offence meant to anyone...:flower:

VXR
06/24/2010, 02:17 PM
That's a bit harsh don't you think? Personally I think it's a pretty reasonable concern for a new owner - regardless of how "hardcore" you are about owning a VX and finding parts, the ugly truth is that it can be downright expensive, and likely to only get worse over time. Don't relegate the guy to a Camry just because he's doing diligent research.

FWIW, I say take the plunge. As others have pointed out, the mechanicals are more or less readily available, and I can attest from endless eBay searches that body panels and cladding are available if you're patient.

well said X2

vt_maverick
06/24/2010, 02:17 PM
Ummmmmm...no.

That opinion is based on years of experience.

IMO, if you're not "OMG, that's the coolest PUV on the planet...I just GOTTA have one" right outta the gate, then 9 times out of 10, people will research & research & reasearch & research, then eventually fade away...:_confused

Even if you ARE "OMG, that's the coolest PUV on the planet...I just GOTTA have one" right out of the gate, I still see a one in three chance you won't be around for 18 months...seen Tbigity around lately?

I see your "harsh" as a realistic way of looking at things, no offence meant to anyone...:flower:

Agreed, I'm the 4th owner of my VX, with the first owner garaging her for 6 years before selling her to two successive owners that loved the PUV idea but couldn't stomach the day-to-day reality of cargo space issues, etc. They each owned her for only a year before giving up.

So not really disagreeing with your first post, just pointing out the language of "better suited for a more pedestrian vehicle" could, in my opinion, be construed as a little condescending. Come on Dub, you're not turning into Riff on us are you! :eek: ;) :p

T/J over, back to angeno - As you said this forum is very helpful and supportive if you do decide to jump back in, and in all seriouness LDub is one of our best examples. :yesy: So is any of this changing your mind (in either direction)?

tomdietrying
06/24/2010, 02:33 PM

Yeah, I too have to agree with Dub.

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
06/24/2010, 02:42 PM
So not really disagreeing with your first post, just pointing out the language of "better suited for a more pedestrian vehicle" could, in my opinion, be construed as a little condescending. Come on Dub, you're not turning into Riff on us are you! :eek: ;) :p

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit blunt with regard to my opinion.

But seriously...a riff comparo?...:confused:

You really know how to hurt a guy...:(...:laughing:

vt_maverick
06/24/2010, 04:14 PM
Lol... I knew it would get your goat! ;)

Ldub
06/24/2010, 05:26 PM
Lol... I knew it would get your goat! ;)

I'll consider my goat...GOT!

Marlin
06/24/2010, 05:45 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f162/baritonobasso/goatsmiles.jpg

angeno
06/24/2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks for appreciating the gist of what I was trying to communicate VT Maverick, Triathlete and other empathetic folks. I've owned several examples of the VX, including purchasing my first one off the showroom floor of the Isuzu dealer in Aurora, CO in 1999 so I definitely understand what it is you guys love about the VX. What really won me over though was a monster snowstorm in New Jersey in 2003. Without drifts, the depth had to be 3 1/2 feet. EVERYTHING was getting stuck. But not me. I just stuck my VX in 4L and plowed through, over and sometimes under the muck. A bit scary but mostly way FUNNNNN!! Also, now that I live in the Northeast, I have new appreciation and respect for potholes. There are holes in the road here that look like they are the result of either giant asphalt eating rats or very small asteroids. Either way, they tend to DESTROY the suspension of most 4 wheeled conveyances. But not a Vehicross. For a period of time my wife drove our VX from NJ into NYC every day. She loved the way the thing just shrugged off expansion joints, potholes, dead mafioso dumped on the parkway, or what have you...

And no, I'm not a wimp afraid to dig a little, work a little, pay a bit more and improvise when necessary. However, I did think it sensible to gauge the scope and breadth of the challenges I might face as a VX owner in 2010. If there are several key pieces that regularly break that are almost impossible to find, I thought that might be a good thing for me to know up front. I'm relieved to read that this does not appear to be the case, so thank you for helping me understand that. I'll touch base when I acquire my VX and hope to provide useful input as well as camaraderie to the group. Until then, enjoy your awesome toys and I hope to join you soon.

angeno
06/24/2010, 07:38 PM
Agreed, I'm the 4th owner of my VX, with the first owner garaging her for 6 years before selling her to two successive owners that loved the PUV idea but couldn't stomach the day-to-day reality of cargo space issues, etc. They each owned her for only a year before giving up.

T/J over, back to angeno - As you said this forum is very helpful and supportive if you do decide to jump back in, and in all seriouness LDub is one of our best examples. :yesy: So is any of this changing your mind (in either direction)?

Yep, I want one. Never really stopped wanting one even when I had to sell the three I had previously owned. Long story there. Suffice to say, I did NOT sell because I didn't like the VX or thought it had limited cargo room or anything like that. When I had them, I used them every day. And loved driving them every day. So, I still want one BAD. And you guys are right. There really is nothing else in the world as cool or different or just plain fun as a Vehicross. I get that and I'm right there with you. So anyway, now it is just a function of finding the right one, striking a deal and then hopefully never having to sell it again.

blacksambo
06/24/2010, 07:41 PM
It's folks like all of you that will help insure that the VX will survive, parts-wise. If there are smart supporters, the support will emerge somehow, some way. Just look at Alfa, they survived rare or not untill today in North America, and now they are coming back with a whole new range. Where there's a will there's a way. Keep the faith devout VX'ers! Who knows maybe Isuzu will come back and use the VX as a vintage halo to prove they are worthy, someday?

Gussie2000
06/24/2010, 09:17 PM
[quote=angeno;197192]Thanks for appreciating the gist of what I was trying to communicate VT Maverick, Triathlete and other empathetic folks. I've owned several examples of the VX, including purchasing my first one off the showroom floor of the Isuzu dealer in Aurora, CO in 1999 so I definitely understand what it is you guys love about the VX. What really won me over though was a monster snowstorm in New Jersey in 2003. Without drifts, the depth had to be 3 1/2 feet. EVERYTHING was getting stuck. But not me. I just stuck my VX in 4L and plowed through, over and sometimes under the muck. A bit scary but mostly way FUNNNNN!! Also, now that I live in the Northeast, I have new appreciation and respect for potholes. There are holes in the road here that look like they are the result of either giant asphalt eating rats or very small asteroids. Either way, they tend to DESTROY the suspension of most 4 wheeled conveyances. But not a Vehicross. For a period of time my wife drove our VX from NJ into NYC every day. She loved the way the thing just shrugged off expansion joints, potholes, dead mafioso dumped on the parkway, or what have you...

x2

North east roads are far away the worsts roads out there.

Potholes & bumps are all the rulling guys over here & cars aren't built for that king of stuffs.

Th fact that ISUZU is out-of-business here in the states really complicates the odds for every present & future VX onwers,and the more the times goes by it becomes more complicated for VX owners to keep these magnificients trucks on the road.

If you are up for owning another VX again i don't see why you shouldn't,specially if you can afford another DD so the VX can be enjoyed on the weekends & during winter seasons.:yeso:

alterastro
06/25/2010, 12:21 AM
I've had mine for just over a year now and although I've had problems with it I'd buy another tomorrow.

As has been said, mechanical parts are easy to get. Body parts are a constant source of worry, but I'll cross that bridge if (hopefully never!) I come to it!

The problems I've had have both been electrical - One was a small 'g sensor' fitted under the truck near the fuel tank. It went faulty and caused the VX to stutter and stall. Took weeks to narrow the fault down and when I did, took several more to find the part. But thanks to the guys 'n' gals on here, I got the part and shipped to the UK for just over $100.

The other fault is the drivers door window switch. It also controls the central locking so that didn't work, nor did the windows. Being RHD, the part is onlt available from Isuzu and isn't used on any other vehicles - cost = $500

So as I said - love the truck and would get another, but the ability to source the rarer parts does concern!

Nick

TheGanzman
06/25/2010, 02:09 PM
One of the things I'm CONSIDERING doing in the future (knock on wood; in over a year of ownership and 11K miles, I've had ZERO problems) is actually buying a whole 'nuther VX in VG+ shape as a "donor vehicle". After all, compared to what I would have to pay to replace my VX with an appropriate new vehicle, i'm still "money ahead" doing something like this. Even with monthly storage, not having to tag/insure it, it wouldn't be THAT expensive to do. Then again, maybe I'm just drinking my own bathwater...:p

Triathlete
06/25/2010, 05:01 PM
I'll consider my goat...GOT!

O h, Dubs getting all Dr Suise on your @$&:bwgy:

Scott Larson
06/25/2010, 09:05 PM
Being relatively new to this VX madness, I too was concerned with parts availability. As a rather competent mechanic, repairs themselves were not an issue, just sourcing the parts to do the repairs. I have since found that mechanical parts availability is no problem at all, my local Car Quest has everything I have needed so far, usually in stock!
As to body parts, the cladding can be plastic-welded and boiled to regain correct shape. I was the GM of Keystone Automotive Group in a former life and we used to repair plastic bumpers and assorted plastic body parts, including VX cladding, we even retextured the surface to match! With this forums fine bunch of VX diehards to help locate the hard-to-find parts and so many parts readily available, why wouldn't you want one of these awsome little beasties? Heck, if nothing else, you've just gained 2964 friends.

Mile High VX
06/26/2010, 07:18 PM
I was the GM of Keystone Automotive Group in a former life and we used to repair plastic bumpers and assorted plastic body parts, including VX cladding, we even retextured the surface to match! .

You're gonna need to help the new fam understand how to do this...it's one of the issues that comes up all the time...you get a scrape/scuff and then what you suppose to do dawg...:yeso:

Triathlete
06/26/2010, 07:31 PM
..you get a scrape/scuff and then what you suppose to do dawg...:yeso:

Line-X:bwgy: