PDA

View Full Version : 15k service necessary?

bgerdsen
08/26/2003, 12:06 AM
Hi guys-- newbie here. I was just wondering how important you guys think the 15k servicing is on a scale of 1-10. Can I simply get away with doing it at 30k instead? I have some friends (non VXers) that believe that doing the 15k is a waste of money.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion...

johnnyapollo
08/26/2003, 03:40 AM
My opinion is that you should do all Service Intevals whether they are necessary or not. They do two things for you... First is they provide proof that you have maintained the vehicle in case there is a service issue and you need to excercise the warranty.

Secondly, provided you use your Isuzu dealer for the service, they help you to build a relationship with the dealership's service department if there is a warranty issue that is marginally covered. The dealer that did all my service maintenance was always quick to do whatever I needed done, and covered all repairs under warranty without a question. I've heard this same opinion from others. It's up to you, but the amount you overpay for service could make a big difference down the road. Food for thought.

Of course if we were all driving Fords or Chevys my opinion would be different. Also, once the warranty is expired the question may become moot.

-- John

Joe_Black
08/26/2003, 04:44 AM
What John said! And use 100% Mobil-1 everywhere! ;)

Raque Thomas
08/26/2003, 05:58 AM
I echo what John said as well - HOWEVER, make sure your dealer goes by the VX manual's requirement for a 15K service - not his usual BS service. You'll probably find if you look at the dealer's normal 15K service that they do not include the front & rear differential fluid change or the lubrication of the rear drive shaft. My dealer agreed to do it at the same price since that was required for the VX 15K service. FYI

Navigator
08/26/2003, 07:37 AM
Keep your reciepts, Do It Yourself,and though this may sound odd, remember to leave tool marks and greasy spilage around all check and fill bolts to show sign you were there :naughty: Don't let the dealer extort you, do not fall victim to the threat of voiding your warranty. Your warranty is valid even if you do the work yourself. The money you save, will be your own :D

Tone
08/26/2003, 09:52 AM
Fluids are the lifeblood of any vehicle and even more important on small engines and 4X4s. Pay a little now or a lot later is not just a catchy slogan - you can’t change any of the fluids too often and the better the fluid (synthetic), the better the protection. All the fluid changes have been discussed here so it should be possible for most everyone to perform it themselves with only a few extra tools.

bgerdsen
08/26/2003, 10:45 PM
Thank you guys for answering my question. Your advice is well taken. I'm going to get my VX serviced later in the week.

Barry