PDA

View Full Version : Dual-Exhaust

XCross69
08/25/2003, 03:29 PM
Finally went today and had dual-exhaust installed on my VX. The sound, well its gonna take some get-n used to...sorta does sound like a deck-T out Civic??! Will the sound change once the newness wears off? My VX is no longer quiet, it now has something to say;-)

Heraclid
08/25/2003, 04:04 PM
I've thought about that same mod. I think it's a great idea and would look great and all the rest.

However... well, I'm not trying to be mean AT ALL, but in all honesty if my VX sounded like most of the tricked-out Civics I come across, I'd be embarassed and do something about it fast. Maybe I'm not thinking of the same sound you're talking about though - I don't know. But to me the sound of a modified Civic sound just means lots of noise and nothing to back it up. It doesn't sound tough to me. It's whiny. Compare it to the sound of a rumbling V8 TransAm or something with some real power, the point being there is NO comparison. Two very different sounds. I've heard those cars (Civics and others like that) make all kinds of noise while I was blowing past them off the line in my wife's Caravan without even giving it everything I had. Hey, go with what you like, though. You would have an ace in the hole in the sense that you'd actually have some respectable oomph to surprise some folks like me who may underestimate you on account of the sound.

Although I've read that for some of the folks here who have put in the PV mufflers, it has settled down a bit after a while for them, I don't know if yours would or not in your situation.

Again, this is just my two cents and nothing personal whatsoever. Great idea, great if you like it (that's all that really matters), but I'd go for more of a growl.

vx69
08/25/2003, 08:02 PM
I ran in to the same problem with my duals. I found that using flow master's made the noise more deep and less rice. I have heard the powervault on some VX's and I don't think they sound like a civic. So if you haven't yet check them out.

XCross69
08/26/2003, 06:54 AM
When I had it put on the dude asked me how loud I wanted it, I said not very....well the system he put on had, I believe, 18" glass-pacs on it...My question, can I take it, have regular mufflers installed to replace the glass-pacs, what kind of sound would that give me....I want the two pipes out the back but I don't really want the noise. The noise would be fine if I was like 16 but I am 10 years older than that..Any info??? Would have-n regulat mufflers installed be the less costly fix?

WormGod
08/26/2003, 07:32 AM
I keep putting off slapping a dual exhaust on my VX, but I do have the PV. Hopefully, before winter kicks in, I can step up to the plate and finally commit.

I was pretty sure someone here had a dual exhaust WITH the PV installed, and said it sounded great. I dont recall who it was though.

Bantan
08/26/2003, 07:48 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/225rear_end.jpg
I got my PV2 (get it now) installed at Meineke A bit expensive, but worth it. They cut / tapped into the main pipe at a point behind the gas tank installed a baffle to divert some of the CO2 to the passenger side. I installed lighted tips. I was a bit sceptical at first did not want to look or sound Ricey, but extremely happy I did it. The VX should have been built this way. Wish I could've gone dual all the way with 2 PV2 mufflers.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/225rear_view_night.jpg

Dallas4u
08/26/2003, 09:03 AM
I have a question... are you guys/gals doing this just for looks, or are you trying to get a little more power out of the VX? I say this because it has been done in the past by more than one VX'r, and they have found little to none improvement in hp.

Bantan, I would assume (and this may be a stretch) that you are doing this only for aesthetic reasons?

Bantan
08/26/2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Bantan, I would assume (and this may be a stretch) that you are doing this only for aesthetic reasons?

I admit the lighted tips may only seem to be for aesthetic reasons, but they also seem to ward off tailgaters, however adding the PV2 was a performance MOD it has been documented to add about 15 rear wheel HP as you may already know, so its a combination of looks, perfomance, & function.:dance:

Raque Thomas
08/26/2003, 10:46 AM
Bantan, are you using the U-haul/Danlan hitch with that step bar? It looks good!

hchen
08/26/2003, 11:03 AM
haha you guys speak of modified hondas like theyre nothing. i know many hondas...civics..whatever, the cheap "ricer" cars you guys always diss that run 1/4's under 13's. yes of course there are riced out ones that make a lotta sound but dont go no where...but i've been embarrassed a lotta times when i thought the ride was a ricer and raced it but got burned by something that runs faster than a Carrera 4....i guess looks and sounds can be deceiving. but yea...

dual exhaust is real nice, looks very stylish and balances the rear.

IsuZOOM
08/26/2003, 11:36 AM
How much are dyno runs?

Bantan
08/26/2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by raquethomas
Bantan, are you using the U-haul/Danlan hitch with that step bar? It looks good!

I got the "Frame Mount 2" Receiver Hitch Kit" from Tone (http://tonemonday.com/accessories.htm)

Oh, :thanx: again for the compliment.

WormGod
08/26/2003, 12:41 PM
Nobody is dissing ricers (not all of them anyways ;) ). I think its just the "general" statement about the "majority" of ricers that make the "worthy" ones look bad. Quite simply put, I know a LOT of guys with hooked up ricers that can pull their weight, but they too like to poke fun at us SUV guys by saying there is NO SUCH THING as a SPORT/High performance SUV. As long as there are cars, there will be egg thrown. It's always gonna be a he said she said, opinionated thing. No big deal. ;)

But, back to the subject at hand....

Bantan, did they install a heat shield when they ran the pipe behind your gas tank? Just looking under mine, it seems like the only proper place to run the added pipe, but it still seems a bit close to the tank. Also, it looks like you got straight pipes. I dont see yours sloping down at all. I myself would like to go that route. Looking good. :thumbup:

As for performance, dual exhaust shouldnt give much if ANY boost. The PV alone, being split with a dual exhaust, would probably give just just as much boost as using a single pipe. Looking under the VX, there doesnt appear to be any more room for dual PV's, but that could be pretty cool. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Bantan
08/26/2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by WormGod
[B]Bantan, did they install a heat shield when they ran the pipe behind your gas tank? Just looking under mine, it seems like the only proper place to run the added pipe, but it still seems a bit close to the tank. Also, it looks like you got straight pipes. I dont see yours sloping down at all. I myself would like to go that route. Looking good. :thumbup: [B]

They did not install a heat shield, but now that you mention it I will have to ask them about this. As for the slope, they bent the pipe so it comes out straight, I wanted it that way so that the ligths in the tips could be seen since they are recessed.

AlaskaVX
08/26/2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by WormGod
Looking under the VX, there doesnt appear to be any more room for dual PV's, but that could be pretty cool. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
There is plenty of room you just couldn't run them the way you would want them to (straight on both sides). Once you go to the PV2 there is a LOT of extra room were the old monster of a muffler used to be. You could run both PV's side by side (where the old muffler was) and route the pipes accordingly.

I don't think you would see any gain by doing this and you could end up with a wierd sounding exhaust, since it seems PV's make different sounds. Who knows it could sound really cool?

Heraclid
08/26/2003, 03:40 PM
Not real fond of using the "rice" term, but...

Everybody has their own set of experiences, and somehow I have not personally ever run up against a ricer car that was all that fast, and few that looked good to me either. Speed isn't everything and to me ricer is a kind of post-mod look and not a statement on performance or make and model, so it could be fast and still have that look, which in general is ugly to me.

Posers and ricers aren't necessarily the same. My neighbors used to have a riced-out 300ZX. Naturally it was already nice and fast without mods, but they ruined the looks of it with little aesthetic mods that made what was a nice car look stupid (and didn't waste any time totalling it either). Sometimes one should leave well enough alone. Now one of their cars is a Nissan Murano (granted, it's faster than a VX but like I said, speed isn't everything).

Anyway, what I started out to say is that most are wannabes. Despite its looks, my Dodge Avenger ES was not really all that quick and in almost 8 years still never went up against a ricer it couldn't take. Well, there is one caveat - I won't be an idiot and put myself and others at risk to win some dumb street race and even if I could win I draw the line at being unsafe, so sometimes the less sensible person thought they beat me because of the circumstances. With my Avenger we're talking about a pure stock 2.4L 24v V6 automatic making only 165hp, and it must have outweighed 'em all too. And like I said before, my wife's van can usually take 'em too, although it is quick for a minivan I guess. LOL

AlaskaVX
08/26/2003, 04:11 PM
OK, I'm throwing in my 2 cents.....
I have yet to see a Honda beat my VX! Unless they have NOS they really don't have a chance.

WyrreJ
08/26/2003, 04:55 PM
Bantan -- two questions:

1) Are those rear-lights the smoked ones from clear-corners? How bright are they compared to stock?

2) What the heck are those two things up on the roof? Look like miniature cell-phone towers.

AlaskaVX --

The supercharged Honda (ok Acura) NSX that I don't own could take a VX anyday, 375HP and only 3100lbs.

Dallas4u
08/26/2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
OK, I'm throwing in my 2 cents.....
I have yet to see a Honda beat my VX! Unless they have NOS they really don't have a chance.

A stock 2003 Accord V6 LX will do 0-60 in 6.6 sec, and I think we ALL know what a NSX will do!!

Heraclid
08/26/2003, 07:12 PM
I doubt he really meant all Hondas. And what about a S2000?

The NSX is pretty much a dream car of mine, but not sure I'd go back to a "lowrider" after the VX. Thought the NSX used to have 275 hp (not 375), and the listed horsepower on the '02 3.2L MT Acura NSX-T is 290hp (most current I could find in a hurry). The 3.2L is nearly as torquey as our VXs at 224 ft. lbs. The AT 3.0L comes in at 252hp/210ft.lbs.

Splitting hairs really, but I specifically remembered them being a 200-something horsepower car. Probably because I had expected more whenever i first looked into that.

WyrreJ
08/26/2003, 08:00 PM
It was/is the zanardi #10 with comptech supercharger and other misc upgrades.

SGT.BATGUANO
08/26/2003, 10:30 PM
Throw 1500 lbs. into the ricer and then see how much quicker than a VX it becomes.

I remember when the Grand National came out. At official drag races they would handicap it with the mandatory addition of weight because the 5.0L Mustang crowd couldn't handle being whupped by a "real 5-passenger midsize" Buick V-6.

If you really want to humiliate a ricer, tell him you'll race him once at the area of his choice and once at the area of yours (off-road). Total the 2 times and whoever is lowest wins.

I can picture cheap ground-effects and gigantic, useless rear spoilers flying everywhere!;Dy;

Dallas4u
08/27/2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
Throw 1500 lbs. into the ricer and then see how much quicker than a VX it becomes.

Not that this whole scenerio isn't ludacris anyway, but if you were taking this seriously, you would have to specifically state what model you were talking about. And adding 1500 lbs. to compete is comparing apples and oranges (as if they weren't being compared anyway). If you're going to add that weight to the Honda, then it's not worth comparing in the first place.

Bantan
08/27/2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
Bantan -- two questions:

1) Are those rear-lights the smoked ones from clear-corners? How bright are they compared to stock?

2) What the heck are those two things up on the roof? Look like miniature cell-phone towers.

A1- They are the CF look tail light covers.

A2- Those antenas are actually 2 Yakima bike racks, must be the angle of the pic.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/225bantan021503-med.jpg
My Gallery (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=225&cat=500&thumb=1)

WormGod
08/27/2003, 08:10 AM
I just put my name down on a list for pre-owned (leased) NSX arrivals at a local dealer here. They are usually in pretty good shape when they arrive and are resold with a damned good dealer warranty. The last one they had was a sweet redwith 27k miles, the only defect visible being a small dent in the hood. It went for $34k. I was always a fan of these things, even though a brand new one was out of my fundage. Hopefully, knowing the sales manager and being a drinking buddy of hers, I will get a good deal. ;)

Ah yes, I would be keeping the VX too. Good God no, would I get rid of my VX!

As for the dual exhaust on the VX, I will have to talk to my brother and see if he can arrange the install for next weekend. I have done him far too many favors lately and he said he owes me at least this fab. :D

Anita
08/27/2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks right, you wont sell your VX! It saved your life!

There are a lot of people here who are not allowed to part with their trucks, ever. ;Dr;

:heart: this forum

AlaskaVX
08/27/2003, 11:10 AM
OK the NSX is one of my dream cars too! And I got wooped by a S2000 but I was thinking "ricers". I have beat every Accord I've come accross, not sure about a 2003 though.

If you really want to humiliate a ricer, tell him you'll race him once at the area of his choice and once at the area of yours (off-road). Total the 2 times and whoever is lowest wins.
I can picture cheap ground-effects and gigantic, useless rear spoilers flying everywhere!
LOL! There are soooooo many people up here with those giant spoilers, do they actually think they do something?:laughy: I mean do they even think they look good? :laughr: just baffles the mind!

IsuZOOM
08/27/2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
LOL! There are soooooo many people up here with those giant spoilers, do they actually think they do something?:laughy: I mean do they even think they look good? :laughr: just baffles the mind! Actually they often increase drag.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/27/2003, 01:54 PM
Yeah...I read an article on the Toyota Celica (stk) vs. the
TRD Racing Version with all the ground effects and bigger, taller rear wing. I admit, that I like the looks of this added package;
but, the magazine did some 1/4 mile tests and as IsuZOOM stated, they detected more aero-drag and thus slower times than the stock (stk) version.

As for dual exhaust on the VX...I'd love the look; but, not sure I would like the sound. I'm too "stuck" on the sound of deep, throaty V-8's.

I don't want a "bumble bee in a can" sound! ;puke2;

WyrreJ
08/27/2003, 05:15 PM
wormgod - if you haven't already, be sure to start hanging out at the forums on http://www.nsxprime.com/ - they are great bunch, at least as tight as the VX community. I had 3-4 guys, whom I had never met before, volunteer to go test drive and inspect the zanardi for me after just one post. If you got NSX questions, they got NSX answers.

The great thing about the NSX is that it barely depreciates at all. If you were to buy a new one at the end of the model year (with the big discounts that have come in the last couple of years, like $20K off MSRP), drive it mostly on weekends and then sell it a year or two later you'd probably pay more for gas and insurance than you did for the privilege of owning the car.

bantan - wow, those rear covers look way better than I had expected. I bought a pair along with my front covers but the pre-applied velcro stickers looked so dorky I didn't even try putting them on the car to look at them. I love my front headlight covers though. I've got this theory that they really help to reduce the car's LIDAR profile, along with the honeycomb grill and raked windshield - but then again I've only been lit up once, going 65 in a 55 but I wasn't even flagged down.

MrCrowley
08/29/2003, 07:51 PM
Want an affordable 4 door blisteringly capable sedan? Go check out the Subaru WRX STI. $32,000, All wheel drive, 4.6 0-60, 300 hp, 300 torque, 14.5 psi boost, Driver controlled center diff., front and rear limited slips, driver controlled intercooler water spray, radio deleted, etc. I want some scoobie techology to boost my VX and looking for some dumb rich boy youngster to buy parts off of after he wrecks it. (guaranteed) Look at all the wrecked WRX's for sale. Intercooler, turbo, plumbing, hood scoop. Yeah, I am a Subaru and Isuzu fan too. From now on I will always go with Subaru unless Isuzu gets their quality up. Subaru produces high quality stuff. Everything is refined down to little tiny details. Plus they are the safest around and have very few problems. Due to our wonderful economy- thanks Bush (curious George)- I now work at a Subaru dealership. I drive everyone of them whenever I can. All are wonderful. Turbo Baja this December, and the TURBO FORESTER now! 0-60 5.3!!! holy cow. I blow many of anyone away. What a sleeper. The dealership even wants a little sponsorship action on my future STI. I am going to a rally event with a "show only" WRX in 2 weeks. darn. Of course the VX is entering. If anyone wants an STI, and is overcharged- let me know. We only do MSRP. Some places are trying to get rich. VX and STI- Ill never need another car. Now I can tow my STI on a trailer behind my VX. Cool eh? Maybe matching racing decor...

IsuZOOM
08/29/2003, 08:07 PM
To each his/her own, but I wouldn't even test drive a Subaru. I need a vehicle that looks good, and with the sole exception of the SVX (which I give a 7 / 10) I don't think I've ever seen a Subaru I'd even consider driving.