PDA

View Full Version : Review of Dead US Auto Brands (Including Isuzu)

vt_maverick
06/10/2010, 08:49 AM
Guess they included Isuzu because they were rebadging GM products later in life. Not the reference to the VehiCross, which the author seems to have deemed as a step in the right design direction...

http://www.boston.com/cars/newsandreviews/overdrive/2010/06/a_salute_to_the_dead_us_car_br.html

blacksambo
06/10/2010, 06:51 PM
How do you call a vehicle that sold out all it's ceramic body stampings ignored? It's more like these guys ignored the facts!

89Vette
06/10/2010, 06:54 PM
There is some truth in the author's description of Isuzu. After the Isuzu Trooper (and Ford Explorer) were deemed less-than-safe due to their potential for rollover, I found myself as one of those associating Isuzus as a brand not to buy.

Add to that this notion that Americans should buy American cars, plus the stigma of the 3.5L motor in the VX, it's definitely a hard sell (as I look at them now.) Doesn't matter how great the looks are, it just means I'm being honest about my feeling toward the badge with this forum.

Beyond this Isuzu line mentioned in that article, I also find myself mourning the loss of Pontiac. A GTO was the very first car I bought in 1975. Their G8, Solstice, and GTO were models I thought (hoped) would save that industry. I thought they would appeal to the younger generation. Because they didn't, I guess it proves people are becoming more interested in driving vehicles that get great mileage. (At least that's the only reason I can think of buying a frumpy Toyota or Honda. Blea...yuk!)

RamAirZ
06/10/2010, 08:20 PM
Alot of people didn't like the GTO, they should have done something different with the looks. I loved the G8 though. I was the same way with Isuzu's (never thought they were any good) until I owned one, now I love them lol. From a 4x4 standpoint they came with alot of stuff that other trucks upgraded to (D44's, strength of the Isuzu 12-bolt, 4-wheel discs, gear driven transfer-case, decently powerful V6, etc etc). The looks were somewhat "bland" for most people (besides the VX) but I don't think Isuzu built them for style points on the outside. And honestly I don't think the Trooper is any more roll-over worthy than any SUV that size from that era (Land Rovers, Explorers, Tahoes, etc etc).