PDA

View Full Version : Warranty repair of windows - proactive?

VX Monster
10/11/2002, 04:21 PM
I've read a whole lot about the window problem others have had, and I'd rather avoid that one if possible. I used to have a Porsche with a funky driver's window (if you let it down too far it'd drop into the door - whee!), and I don't want to have a VX with one - especially not in the winter in Chicago.

I called a dealer today, and asked them if they'd do the fix proactivly. They told me that they needed to wait until the problem happened, so they'd "know where to shim it." I thought this fix was applicable proactively; can anyone give me the real deal?

They also told me (trustworthy service guys) that "some of the VXs had a factory fix installed," and if mine turned out to be one of them, then Isuzu wouldn't pay them when they submitted the warranty repair paperwork. Has anyone ever heard that Isuzu did a manufacture alteration to address this issue???

Tone
10/11/2002, 07:09 PM
More dealer BS! No fix was ever instituted during manufacturing but unfortunately you probably won’t be able to get them to proactively ‘fix’ it - unless you have a REALLY good relationship with the service writer. The good news is that not all VXes experience the problem. Your best bet is to lube the window tracks with silicone every month or 2. Tinting does NOT cause the problem nor does the McNeil wind deflectors.

Egwanaboy
07/31/2003, 03:46 AM
Hey All,
I used to go to a dealership in Ann Arbor Michigan (Goodman Auto Group...decent folks), but they dropped Isuzu.
The week after they dropped the Isuzu line, I got a call from the service manager (out of the blue) letting me know that Isuzu had posted a bulletin or something (?) regarding the window issue.
I've been meaning to take mine in to have it dealt with (for the 5th time), but since the nearest dealer is far away, I procrastinated. I am planning on going next week, but I called the 'new' dealership and they said there was no such bulletin and nothing associated with my VIN.
To the best of anyones knowledge, is there or was there any admission or bulletin by Isuzu for this frustrating problem???
Any help would be more than appreciated.
Thanks,
Egwanaboy

JAG!
08/22/2003, 10:25 PM
Hey all,

Jeez, it's been a while since I've been on here. Anyhow, back to my story. Pretty much from day 1 -- I had the infamous window bind prob. I must be the 'regulator' king at the dealership as that's all they kept doing to try to fix.

Finally, the dealer pretty much gave up and I called Isuzu Owner Assistance. It took a month or so, but they sent some Isuzu Engineer/Tech down.. he spent an entire day messing with the windows -- and, to this day (knocks on wood) the problem has been resolved! ;Db;

Don't know if this helps, but in my case, being persistant and getting owner assistance involved helped here.

-=JAG!

Anita
08/22/2003, 11:57 PM
Great to see you again, Jag!

JAG!
08/23/2003, 10:38 PM
Hey there,

Nice to be back and thanks for the welcome. How ya been?
LTNS.

JAG!

Originally posted by Anita
Great to see you again, Jag!

jim.LR>AR
08/24/2003, 08:00 AM
Took mine in Passenger window would come off track 6 inches from the top. Drivers has always been slow. The isuzu dealer kept it all day called me and said they would order the " regulators for both. One week they kept it a day replaced the regulators, they must have done something , it smelled like glue afterwards. Next day passenger window would not go all the way up with out help, driver was creeping slow. Got a follow up call and told them, They came and picked it up kept it all day, gave me rental as they investagated the fix . Next day completed it . they said shimming was the key. Now both are very fast. no Problems So far. But the next day the cd changer ate the cds. One week to order and 4 hours to replace .I wonder if I'll see those discs again?

kpaske
08/24/2003, 08:32 AM
I'm having the same problem. Silicon spray helped a bit, but not to my complete satisfaction. Two questions: when those out there use the silicon, how are you getting it in the tracks? With my door completely apart and using that little red straw that attaches to the spray nozzle, I could still only reach a small portion of the track. I wound up just spraying a whole bunch of it in there and hoping it would spread out by moving the window up and down a few times. My other question is about the shimming - what is this, how is it done, and is it expensive? My VX is no longer under warranty.

Moncha
08/24/2003, 09:21 AM
I just spray until it runs down the channel than run the window up and down a couple of times. It gets better as the silicone dries so immediate results may not be noticed.

Here's a link (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1180) to the How To for fixing the window by our very own Phines.

Heraclid
08/24/2003, 10:10 AM
Jim in Little Rock,

I'm in the same boat, waiting on CDs to hopefully be returned after getting a new changer a few weeks ago. Some have gotten theirs back after a few months, so I guess there may be hope.

Same problem with the silicome treatment, too. Except I've never pulled the door apart and the idea of it makes me kinda nervous. I'd try Phines' fix so I'm not out my $100 deductible and out of a VX for a day, but I don't want to do it myself and make things worse. Someone was already inside my driver's side door before I got it and they cracked the panel. Maybe someone more in the know could post some instructions and pics on how to do this to boost my confidence?

Moncha
08/24/2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Moncha

Here's a link (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1180) to the How To for fixing the window by our very own Phines.

The linked thread does have pics.. Unless you mean pics for taking off the panel??

kpaske
08/24/2003, 12:31 PM
Taking off the panel is fairly simple:

Pry off the top of the door handle assembly starting at the rear part of the handle. This will reveal two screws - remove them. Unplug the wire harness(es). There are two on the driver's side, and one on the passenger side. Remove the screw from the door release handle. Using a panel popper (or a couple of stiff putty knives, or screw drivers), start at the bottom and work your way up the sides, popping each door clip. They are pretty easy to find - by pulling on the panel a bit, you'll see where it's still attached. Now you can remove the door release assembly, or just leave it attached and push it through. The whole panel should come completely off now. Pull back the plastic around where you need to work, or remove all of it. Be careful not to tear it, as it rips very easily.

I've tried doing this fix, but wasn't very successful, which is why I've resorted to the silicon spray.

Heraclid
08/24/2003, 02:30 PM
Thanks kpaske, and Moncha, yeah, I meant the panel.

Moncha
08/24/2003, 02:43 PM
Cool, just makin' sure I was on track..

kpaske
08/24/2003, 10:02 PM
No problem... Just glad I can contribute to the infinite wisdom of this site, as I've surely taken so much in return... ;Db; ;Db; ;Db;

paultvx
08/25/2003, 12:36 AM
Factory fix installed... LMAO. And pigs can fly.

Find the thread that shows how it can be fixed on your own. Takes 30 min.

I try my luck at the dealer and the service manager moved the window up and down and said with a straight face, "No... that's as good as it gets. I can have one of our techs lubricate the tracks with graphite, but that's about it." Did they even lube the tracks? Yeah right. The techs didn't even lay a finger on the window. All service departments are concerned about is how many jobs they can do a day. More cars, more profit. In and out. Cha'Ching!

When you get around to fixing it yourself, don't bother bending the bracket. Widening the track front track is where it's at. That alone will solve the problem. Can't bend the bracket much anyway, it's like trying to bend a spring and there isn't enough room for you to get a good grip on it to bend it to the point where it will hold. It's not worth the time. Do the track first and that should do it.

Lease-V-cross
09/01/2003, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately, I am having the same problem with the driver's side window. The passenger's side did it as well, but that seems to be working good for now!

This is very frustrating! I am leasing my Vehicross and now the dealership where I got it, no longer services Isuzus! Great. Now I have to drive to a dealership over an hour away. More extra mileage I don't nee put on this car. I think I'm just going to have it towed with Isuzu's free towing service.

I also had a problem with the gears shifting, but I think It was because the car sat in the heat for a few days without me driving it. Who knows.

I called the Isuzu service hotline and bitched about the window into an answering machine. This will be the fourth time to get it fixed!
I think I'm going to get a lawyer and file for "Breach of Warranty". That should scare them.

I loved my VX when I first got it, but now I grow more and more frustrated with this car every day. I read about fixing it myself, but I'm not too mechanically inclined. Any advice would sure be appreciated.

fishhookmaui
09/02/2003, 06:05 AM
hi vx monster,i had the driver side window binding issue and jim m'lady isuzu fixed it by putting in a new regulator..i have not yet encounter any problem w/ jim m'lady regarding warranty coverages..i was wondering which dealership were you taking your vx for problems?

JasonDearing
09/03/2003, 12:01 PM
I've been having problems with both windows for over a year now. I was told that since the Bumper-to-Bumber warranty ran out, and my 3rd party warranty wouldn't cover it unless it was the fault of the regulator, this wouldn't be covered at all. The shop where I bought it has serviced each window twice in the past while the lease was still active, but all they ever did was lube the track.

So I did the fix myself this weekend with much help from this Board. Both windiws roll up great now. The tint still doesn't line up correctly, but at least the windows don't bind any more. Took about 45 minutes for Both sides.
Thanks a lot for posting all the How to's!
Jason

paultvx
09/03/2003, 04:15 PM
If you don't want to fix it yourself... I don't know what else anyone can tell you. Getting lawyers involved might work... but is it really worth the time and money?

The DIY fix can't get any easier with the aforementioned instructions. Even then, you don't really have to follow all of the instructions. You will probably find that widening the tracks alone will fix the problem, as I have. All you need is a pair of channel lock pliers and 5 minutes. If you need help removing the door panel, feel free to ask. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver and a little bit of patience.

Heraclid
09/06/2003, 02:04 PM
Hey Jason,

Since you've done the window fix before and I haven't, and since you're moving here so soon, would ya mind helping me get inside my doors and do this one weekend or something? Maybe when we do the lift on yours? I could probably do it myself alright but it would be ideal to have someone right there who has been there, done that.

BTW, I assume you and I are dealing with the same dealer here. They looked at me knowingly and said it wasn't going to be the regulators without ever looking at it. They also told me my third party warranty wouldn't cover it. Said it was the "runners" and they needed replacement, and that it would out me about $300 I think it was. The service manager told me to use the silicone lubricant too, and admitted they have seen a few for the same situation (yours probably being one of them). They've probably seen mine before too for it since the door panel has a small crack by the lock post and the previous owner was good about keeping up with the maintenance schedule through this same dealer.

Hey VX Monster, funny about the Porsche and you having had a Porsche and now a VX. Conversely, the previous owner of my VX traded it in towards a new Porsche. Before that mine appears to have been a dealer demo as Carfax reports a commercial vehicle registration and that it was sold to the first owner with 5,000+ miles already on it. My Avenger I had was a demo also. Cheaper and practically like new - not a bad way to go.