PDA

View Full Version : BENT Lower Links....!!....BODY Mounts

JoFotoz
06/09/2010, 02:14 PM
Has anyone replaced their lower links??

If so..what did you use..

Stinky Fab??..they have a neat "pre" bent set.

Any other suggestions..I want some REALLY BEEFY ones.

I also seem to have a difference in compression on the body mounts.
Drivers side about 5/8 ths smaller than pass side.

Could just be driver poundage (!) over the years! :eek:

Anyone replaced theirs?

Thanks

jo

RamAirZ
06/09/2010, 02:29 PM
I know Indy4x has some nice ones, not sure how they compare to the Stinkyfab ones. Can't help ya on the body mounts. I know the front body mount on the Rodeo's on the core support had issues and I have a writeup on how to fix it easily.

Triathlete
06/09/2010, 02:39 PM
The SF and Indy links are both nice but I would go with the indy's. They are beefyer and adjustable. However SF is in your backyard and Dallas could fab up a nice set to your specs...the kid gotz mad skillz!:bwgy:

Marlin
06/09/2010, 03:23 PM
I heard a wise man say, "no matter how much you engineer it, something has to break". You get to pick which portion of your suspension brakes. I haven't read anything on here about anyone tearing up their lower links? There may be one buried somewhere. The shop once accidentally put mine on the lift and sat it on the rear links, no damage, PITA to get off though, dummies.

I would personally go with the SF, as much as I like to support Indy, the prebent ones with the extra clearance just makes sense to me, plus Stinky Fab is just a cool name...

MSHardeman
06/09/2010, 03:48 PM
Jo,
I don't know if you paid close attention to Dumke's ride, but he had the Indy 4X heavy duty, adjustable, lower links in Moab. Hopefully he'll chime in soon.

Triathlete
06/09/2010, 05:29 PM
Marlin...I have bent mine several times.Ihave just bent them back using a small jack. You must just notbe trying hard enough. As a matter of fact they are bent now.

As for the bent SF links...if you have rock sliders they interfear with the movement.

Ldub
06/09/2010, 06:05 PM
Jo...didn't you know?...:_confused

You're supposed to rotate the body mount pucks from side to side every leap year...:yesgray:

It's in the manual...:smilewink

FWIW...both Big Jim & I, & a few other Zu's from MWIOR have experienced "bent link syndrome"...:yesgray:

You are not alone.

If it weren't a common problem, Dallas never woulda come up with pre bent links...duh.:rolleyesg

Marlin
06/09/2010, 06:10 PM
Marlin...I have bent mine several times.Ihave just bent them back using a small jack. You must just notbe trying hard enough. As a matter of fact they are bent now.

As for the bent SF links...if you have rock sliders they interfear with the movement.

That is nice to know, I will not be buying new ones, no new stuff unless I break old stuff first. As for trying hard enough...you know better.LOL.

RamAirZ
06/09/2010, 07:39 PM
It's so weird seeing my name typed on here but not be about me, I rarely come across other Dallas's lol. He's a cool dude, I've talked to him multiple times back when I lived in Cali and had the Rodeo.

BigMeatVX
06/09/2010, 08:31 PM
I will be getting the bent SF ones...makes more since to me...I want all the clearance possible and iff the stockers were made with the same bend, no-one would be having issues....I don't see the strait ones having much benefit....but I have bent a stock one also....they just hang too low...:confused:

BigSwede
06/10/2010, 07:30 AM
Both my 99 and 93 Troopers had rear links that had a bit of a bend from the factory, though not as much as the Stinkyfab ones. Sometimes people freak out when they notice that bend, thinking there is something wrong. But I have heard that others were straight from the factory, so I don't know what you guys got.

Having said that, I think upgraded links are a good idea if you are going off-road with any seriousness...I saw what Desha did to the link on her old RS Trooper in Moab a few years back, pretzelized is a word that comes to mind.

I have Indy4x straight links on my Trooper, and it is apparent from the missing paint on the underside that they contact the rocks fairly often. Hit a factory link hard enough and it could fold up on you easily.

While bent links would offer a little more clearance, straight ones are going to be stronger and I'm not sure the clearance is worth getting the bent ones.

Dumke
06/10/2010, 11:57 AM
Jo,
I don't know if you paid close attention to Dumke's ride, but he had the Indy 4X heavy duty, adjustable, lower links in Moab. Hopefully he'll chime in soon.

<---- ME chiming in :D ... yes I have Indy links and they are quite beefy. I got them in a full package from Indy which had a few other things with it(was cheaper than to buy oen by one.)

Anyways I havent had a problem with them yet. They double as my rock sliders lol.. J/k. But I dont ever worry about them bending because how beffy they are. Now prebent ones maybe better but i dunno. But I can say I havent been hung up because of mine so I dont get why clearance would be and issue. I am by no means and expert lol.

They didnt bend or break here.. Even tho was more my tire kicking this up lol.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC02371.JPG

may have to zoom in but those are it.. I can take a closer picture if you need.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC02080.JPG

Besides adjustable they are also greesable. Sadly I dont know why you would want to but I keep em greesed.

BigMeatVX
06/10/2010, 01:53 PM
Both my 99 and 93 Troopers had rear links that had a bit of a bend from the factory, though not as much as the Stinkyfab ones. Sometimes people freak out when they notice that bend, thinking there is something wrong. But I have heard that others were straight from the factory, so I don't know what you guys got.

You sure about that, (not that I doubt You,) BUT....
I've never seen any Pre-bent ones on ANY Isuzu....:confused:
Can anyone else confirm this? :confused::confused:

Marlin
06/10/2010, 02:47 PM
I've never seen any Pre-bent ones on ANY Isuzu....:confused:
Can anyone else confirm this? :confused::confused:

Hmm, I went out and looked at the VX. Both of mine have a curve to them, I wouldn't call it a bend though. Mine could be due to fatigue. I don't know, but they are not straight. There is no obvious bend point, but they look the same.

BigSwede
06/10/2010, 11:32 PM
I've never seen any Pre-bent ones on ANY Isuzu....
Yes...quite sure. They have a bit of a kink to them, not in the middle but roughly a quarter to a third of the way along...I can take pics of my stock links when I get a chance. I think I know where they are in my garage...it is not a big bend but it is there. And I distinctly remember it from my old 99 Trooper as well.

Marlin
06/11/2010, 12:33 PM
Yes...quite sure. They have a bit of a kink to them, not in the middle but roughly a quarter to a third of the way along...I can take pics of my stock links when I get a chance. I think I know where they are in my garage...it is not a big bend but it is there. And I distinctly remember it from my old 99 Trooper as well.

Glad I wasn't crazy, it is definitely a subtle curve to it.

Triathlete
06/11/2010, 04:50 PM
No...you ARE crazy!:bwgy:

Ascinder
06/14/2010, 07:40 PM
THIS (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=836035) guy has excellent links. These are what I'm going to use on mine. Heat treated chromoly steel. All you need to pick out are some rod ends and you're all set. Here's (http://www.hereticfab.com/store/merchant.mvc) a direct link to his site. Heat treating greatly improves the strength of the links. Plus they are a lot more affordable.

pbkid
06/14/2010, 08:09 PM
so we really beat the whore up good eh jo?

i knew she wasnt liking the beating towards the end of metal masher, but all i could see was a shock flopping around back there ;)

JoFotoz
06/15/2010, 01:43 PM
LOL..Yup, she's not a princess anymore...

...just a dirty old W#0^e !!

so we really beat the whore up good eh jo?

i knew she wasnt liking the beating towards the end of metal masher, but all i could see was a shock flopping around back there ;)

4 new shocks..I blew two!
New Cross member..bent!
New Lower Links..bent
Fix radiator supports..shook 'em loose!

...not to mention the body work :smack:

AWESOME TIME!!!

:clap::dan_ban::LineWave::dan_ban::clap:

jo

Marlin
07/15/2010, 08:49 AM
So no lead on the body mounts? Mine are bad, I can here it thunk on the trail. I tried the VX parts list and isuzu parts....not even on the list. Might just get some teflon spacers to put in there or something:(

Triathlete
07/15/2010, 02:46 PM
4 new shocks..I blew two!
New Cross member..bent!
New Lower Links..bent
Fix radiator supports..shook 'em loose!

...not to mention the body work :smack:

AWESOME TIME!!!

:clap::dan_ban::LineWave::dan_ban::clap:

jo

Jo, you need to learn to crawl!:bwgy:
The skinny pedal is not always your friend.

Ascinder
07/15/2010, 06:53 PM
Might just get some teflon spacers to put in there or something

Why not pull one at a time and source some polyurethane spacers? You could be the first to develop a VX body lift kit or just a stock replacement kit with better components. I'm sure the puck system is fairly easy to source common parts for.

BigMeatVX
07/16/2010, 02:34 PM
Jo, you need to learn to crawl!:bwgy:
The skinny pedal is not always your friend.

It helps if your engine isnt spuddering too:mado:

Billy....You need more lift and bigger tires to keep up with your crawlin skills and determination...:bwgy: or a retractable strap...:p