PDA

View Full Version : Difference along the Years.....

ameetw
08/25/2003, 06:58 AM
Anyone knows what are the major difference between the 1997 till the 2002 Vehicross?. I wanna know where my Vx stands compared to the US models.
Eg, Honda CRV 1997 US = Honda CRV 1999 JPN except for the steering.
Thanks.

dutchie
08/25/2003, 07:41 AM
The Japanese VX stayed the same from beginning to end, except for the 175 ltd edition.

exterior
US-chrome 16 inch or 18 inch(2000-)wheels
JP-matte 16 inch or chrome 16 inch on 175LTD version

headlights differ

little bonnet mirror on Japanese model

25 colours (JP model) 7 colours (US model)

side indicator (round JP)(oval US)

metal brushed fangs (US model) plain black (JP)

electric folding door mirrors (JP model)

interior
US leather two toned seats
JP cloth or leather on the 175LTD model

Momo steering wheel (JP Model)

Rear view cam+two din tv/cassette stereo(JP Model)

cruise control (US model)

remote garage door opener (US model)

rear headrests (US model)

Technical
3.2l engine for JP
3.5l engine for US

Stiffer suspension setting for JP model

2lo 2hi tod JP model
2lo tod US model

PS I see that you`re from Malaysia, nice country, I visited Penang last year.....beautiful

Dallas4u
08/25/2003, 08:54 AM
This is good reference info and should be posted somewhere in the "Specs" section for future reference!

AREA 51
08/25/2003, 12:31 PM
Yes. That and the most accurate US/Japan production statistics should be posted in "specs".

Heraclid
08/25/2003, 12:54 PM
Ours (US version) also has folding heated mirrors and a Momo steering wheel. And I think the fangs are something other than chrome (brushed aluminum?).

Joe_Black
08/25/2003, 01:17 PM
What he means by folding mirrors is that the JDM models fold by power, like on the Troopers. Ours just fold if they get whacked or someone pushes them.

Dallas4u
08/25/2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
Ours (US version) also has folding heated mirrors and a Momo steering wheel. And I think the fangs are something other than chrome (brushed aluminum?).

I believe he meant electronic, auto folding heated mirros (sans Trooper), a three spoke Momo steering wheel, and as for the fangs... I'm not sure what the Japanese models came with. No inserts maybe?

Heraclid
08/25/2003, 03:31 PM
Okay, now I see. :-) Thanks! I was equating "electric" with 'heated". Up until now I was unaware of anything having mirrors that folded that way. Cool. As for Momo steering wheels, I was kinda under the impression that we had them too even though it doesn't say Momo on it. Just seen it referenced that way in a few reviews in American publications, but alas, it is an often misdocumented vehicle. Actually, most Momo wheels I've seen I didn't like. I can't say offhand what the deal with Japanese-spec VXs is in regard to the fangs without doing some pic searching.

Joe, I got the last two batches of pics from the meet (3 of the 4). Thanks! I don't know if they looked like it to you, but at least on my monitor a couple of them seemed a bit too dark so I played with the light effects in PhotoShop to bring out some more details. Now you can see where the green meets the grey on your VX in a few of the pics (I couldn't before), the lighthouse "halo" pic shows the redwash on it (didn't see that before), and the one of our three VXs in the parking garage is clearer too. If you want, I can e-mail you the ones I'm talking about for you to look over.

ameetw
08/25/2003, 04:56 PM
Wow dutchie.... great indepth. Do you have like all the models in your place? can I visit???:D
I know now mine is not the LTD version:( but from your discription, i'm not loosing much. Seats.... time for leather wraps..., headlights.... lets leave it....( common model, easy spare parts!).
Anyone knows the exact difference between the STD and the LTD. I wanna modify mine the the LTD if possible.

Thanks...;Db;

johnnyapollo
08/25/2003, 08:21 PM
Hey Dutch,

Question: Did all the JP model years offer the 25 color options, or was that only for the 175 Limited year (1999?). Also, I've seen the earlier interiors with the wild cloth pattern. Where there options on the interior colors or just on the exterior?

-- John

dutchie
08/25/2003, 10:48 PM
John!
Until 1998 there were only five colours available, after that we got the extra choice of the 25 premium colours.
The LTD`s only difference with the "normal" version, is that they come with a leather interior(red/black only) and have chrome wheels.
There hasn`t been any choice in fabric for the normal ones, so yeah that funky design you saw, is our standard colour.

John, sorry I`ve been very busy, just moved, new job etc, but I found that little VX toy car I bought for you, and the three "police" vx`s. while I was moving. If you`re still interested mail me, if not after this time, mail me too and I`ll put them on e-bay.
Serge

ps heraclid here`s the JP Momo

http://vehi.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ake/ake04.JPG

johnnyapollo
08/26/2003, 03:33 AM
Hey Serge,

Yep.. still want them. I've sent you an email. One other difference you didn't point out - the Rack on the US version is made by Yakima, I believe the JP version was Thule. We also had the Ironman edition which I don't believe was available overseas. Plus the rearview monitor and camera is noticably missing from the US edition.

-- Best, John

dutchie
08/26/2003, 05:22 AM
Yep John received your e-mail, I`ll see what I can do.

PS on the Japanese Yahoo auction is a vx momo steering wheel for sale, starting price $90,-...
http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f5772480

If you want to have it send me a mail, even if you can read/write Japanese, the seller wants to sell it national.
Two days left....

Joe_Black
08/26/2003, 05:28 AM
Is there an airbag in that wheel? Doesn't look like it. I may be interested. Mmmmm... Momo.

dutchie
08/26/2003, 06:09 AM
I don`t know, it says that it`s SRS equipped..

ameetw
08/26/2003, 07:26 AM
Cool, Dutchie, you have the same car interior as mine. Funny thing, I met a guy in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and he had a red Vx. His seats are Recaro but they were leather, a black and white combi. I asked him if they were original and he said yes.... :confused:

I guess there are a few undetected ones out there.... ;eeko;

Next step... Leather seats,.... then sound system....;Do;

dutchie
08/26/2003, 07:34 AM
Hi ameetw,

It could be a LTD version, since they have leather seats..but I`ve never heard of the white/black combi.
Red\black@or grey/black...
Were his doorpannels red or grey, I mean the grey material(in our case) around the carbon inserts.
If they were grey, than it`s as fake as those cd`s you can buy on the blackmarcket, but if they were red then it`s a genuine 175 LTD version.

PS I would pass on the leather seats, if I were you, the hot weather will make your seats hoooooot!

johnnyapollo
08/26/2003, 07:41 AM
I wonder if that steering wheel attaches the same way or if there's a collar necessary? I'd love to have the Momo wheel over that cumbersome POS that's on there. I'll take a chance if you can get it for around $100 US. If it's more than that I'll pass.

-- John

ameetw
08/26/2003, 08:01 AM
Well I guess it's a fake.... Malaysia... go figure!! :rolleyes:
About those Leather seats which I'm getting, they are not real leather, It's called korean Leather here. They look just like leather, minus the cash and the heat. I've used them in my other car for about 4 years now, still in perfect condition. They cost about 120 USD to stitch and install. Custom Color...:D
Any Ideas on the combi?? .... no Red and black please, it's already on my other car, and the car is silver too.

dutchie
08/26/2003, 08:15 AM
Ok John I`ll try, a $100,- that`s 12000yen....ok , I can`t guarantee though if it will fit...although I`m sure you can make it fit! Anyway if nothing works it`s still a nice collector item!;Do;

Ameetw, apakabar, I`m often surprised by the quality of the fake stuff they sell!;eekr; N1 my honky/aussie friend gave me a set of fake jaos mudguards...beautiful!
What colour would look nice with silver...I`d say black/gray.

Dallas4u
08/26/2003, 08:43 AM
You would THINK (in theory) that the JP steering wheel would fit, and if not that you can MAKE it fit, but watch out! I emailed about a Momo with airbag from the WRX, and they told me it would not fit because of the mounting hub. I'm not saying this one won't, but even making it fit when it wasn't designed to may end up being not a very safe thing to do.

AREA 51
08/26/2003, 08:53 AM
Not only that, but the shipping will probably be another $75!

Dallas4u
08/26/2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by AREA 51
Not only that, but the shipping will probably be another $75!

Oh, and TRU DAT!

dutchie
08/26/2003, 09:49 AM
No worries, I can send it by pigeon, if you want me to;)
I`m the one sending it, and therefore it won`t cost a cent more than the possibilities available! Horse, surface, air, space shuttle, you name it..
Does it fit? I have no idea....won`t even try to guess.
But like we say in Japan: no try, no know, miss chance, die ignorant.
;Db;
And I guess they have a point there.

AREA 51
08/26/2003, 10:07 AM
Nothing against you, Dutchman. Even if it does fit, a cover of some kind will have to be fabricated to cover that gaping space at the end of the steering column. I hope it does fit!

WyrreJ
08/26/2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by ameetw
Any Ideas on the combi?? .... no Red and black please, it's already on my other car, and the car is silver too.
Electric blue and black would look really standout.

Heraclid
08/26/2003, 06:09 PM
Hey, couldn't tell much from the first pic, but the auction pic - hey, that isn't half bad. I like it. I don't know why some hate the one we have now though... I love the red-orange/black wheel. If you could put the center emblem off the JP version and put it on the US version and I think that might be pretty slick.

Dallas4u
08/26/2003, 09:50 PM
I'm not big on the Isuzu emblem on the JP version, but I do love the three spoke. If we could have a three spoke version, WITH red/black option, AND the perforated type holes in the grips... oh, and if we knew that the hubs worked with the US version, I'd be all over this auction.