PDA

View Full Version : What To Look For In Used VehiCROSSs

Big G
06/05/2010, 01:45 PM
I am starting to look for a VehiCROSS. I would like to know what thing I should look for and look out for. Also how sensitive is the TOD system to tire size differences? For example if you have to replace a tire do you need to replace all 4 to keep the size coerrect?

THANKS BigG

VX KAT
06/05/2010, 01:54 PM
you might want to look over my comprehensive list I put together...lots of good places to start asking questions...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18106&highlight=comprehensive

89Vette
06/05/2010, 02:03 PM
I am starting to look for a VehiCROSS. I would like to know what thing I should look for and look out for. Also how sensitive is the TOD system to tire size differences? For example if you have to replace a tire do you need to replace all 4 to keep the size coerrect?

THANKS BigG

Just like ANY 4x4 system (or one with limited-slip),,,use GOOD judgement. If the tires aren't nearly new, do at least two -- four is better. Otherwise tires/wheels on won't be turning the same speed. And, it's likely to wear your diff/gears sooner.

MSHardeman
06/05/2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks Sue, I was actually hunting around for that while you where posting it up.

BigG, the list that Sue put together is for sellers, but it will help you figure out what to look for. The window's binding (not rolling up straight) is a pretty common issue, and if the VX still has it's original CD player it tends to eat CD's so there may be one or two stuck in there. Some of our engines burn oil so check the dip stick and ask if the oil level has been looked after.

I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Good luck on your search. If you find one that isn't near you feel free to ask if someone here can go look at it for you (that's how I found mine).

VX KAT
06/05/2010, 06:51 PM
The list really evolved into a BUYER checklist, actually, but can be used by either buyer or seller.

I tried to make it be very specific to the VX and common "issues" or "problems", since this group of forum members knows more about this vehicle than anybody else on Earth!

That thread is locked now so Scott can add it to our database/reference material, but we've had some additional suggestions we can add / expand to the list:

~ABS -Check and make sure ABS light on dash comes on when you first turn the key to the ON position. If not, could be an indicator of a problem and / or the bulb has been removed. But do note, many owners have disconnected the ABS system, or never repaired it when it went out, and the truck seems to function fine (just no ABS).

~ALL 4 tires NEED to be, MUST BE, the same circumference (give or take VERY LITTLE) or it will cause the TOD system to make some horrific noises. Numerous owners have experienced this issue. Obviously the donut spare isn't full size, but you're not supposed to go too far on it, only use it on the front, and only in an emergency....so I'd suggest you evaluate the tire situation in this light.

Big G
06/05/2010, 07:29 PM
THANKS to all who replied. I live in the East (Connecticut) and rust is an issue on older vehicles. Are there any particular place(s) the VehiCROSS is susceptible to rust? Big G

Mile High VX
06/05/2010, 08:57 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18054

He's a member on the forum here..

VX KAT
06/05/2010, 08:59 PM
THANKS to all who replied. I live in the East (Connecticut) and rust is an issue on older vehicles. Are there any particular place(s) the VehiCROSS is susceptible to rust? Big G

One of the common ones I can think of is the front bumper support bar (behind the front cladding) is frequently found to be completely rusted through and will just break off in your hand.

I'm sure several of the East Coasters will chime in here with other areas to watch for.

etlsport
06/06/2010, 07:08 AM
luckily i dont have much rust on my vx, but the one i did have was very costly to fix, above the windshield, worth looking at.

also as kat mentioned look at the bar behind the front bumper (accessible through the holes on each side of the front license plate bracket, or through either wheel well)

also above the rear license plate look at the tag lights, the bracket up there behind the cladding tends to turn to swiss cheese

Marlin
06/06/2010, 08:36 AM
~ALL 4 tires NEED to be, MUST BE, the same circumference (give or take VERY LITTLE) or it will cause the TOD system to make some horrific noises. Numerous owners have experienced this issue. Obviously the donut spare isn't full size, but you're not supposed to go too far on it, only use it on the front, and only in an emergency....so I'd suggest you evaluate the tire situation in this light.

I disagree with this, I think it is partly urban legend. I rolled a 31" tire on one side and a 32+" tire on the other side on the rear axle. I did this for almost 6 months.(tire size was a special order, none in stock anywhere) No problems, my limited slip still works perfectly. My TOD still works fine as well. All the more reason to get manual hubs for the front, then it doesn't matter what you do as far as tire sizes, such as using over sized tires and having to use a different size spare. It also minimizes wear and tear a small amount since front drive train no longer under load, it definitely improves steering, and perhaps at a psychological level, makes it a little peppier.
As for the ABS, KAT is right, I disabled mine, it was more problems than anything, especially on the trail.
Just my 2 cents with what I have experienced long term.

Good luck on your hunt, rust would be the only deciding factor for me, pretty much the only thing you can't fix. If you are strapped for cash, then this is NOT the vehicle for you. Being mechanically inclined, or fairly well off financially is nearly a must for this vehicle. Especially if it is going to be your primary vehicle. I DD mine, but its purpose in life is a trail truck. You have to think about what you want. I don't mean to scare you off, but its just a fact, ie, the AC compressor for the 01 vx is about $1K. You can't get it at autozone,pepboys etc...the 02 trooper compressor can be fitted in, but its a PITA. Our trucks eat trannys, some have replaced 2 or even 3 times. (I take immaculate care of mine, all royal purple, all maintenance up to date, still had to replace tranny:( ) Then there are a ton of little "quirks", such as the windows that were mentioned, not a life changing component, but still inconvenient.
I love my truck!!!! Even with all her unique problems. I welcome you to the addiction if you find a suitable rig.

lasturbo
06/06/2010, 09:15 AM
The varied tire height if the tires were mismatched (even varied tire pressures & tire wear) on the rear axle would cause the limited slip to be "slipping" all the time, right? It should also cause the vehicle not to steer or track straight when driving on the road and braking for that matter. If it is slipping all the time in a straight line, that should increase the wear factor long term?

Marlin
06/06/2010, 11:43 AM
The varied tire height if the tires were mismatched (even varied tire pressures & tire wear) on the rear axle would cause the limited slip to be "slipping" all the time, right? It should also cause the vehicle not to steer or track straight when driving on the road and braking for that matter. If it is slipping all the time in a straight line, that should increase the wear factor long term?

I was thinking about that, but if you look when the truck is on the trails, the only time LSD kicks in is when you use the ebrake, putting tension on the clutch pack. (Not exactly sure how it works). I do know that I had no problems, no TOD lights, no tracking problems and so on. I also know I have read about others having TOD problems, and the blame was accounted to tire pressure mismatch. I am only going by my experiences.

MSHardeman
06/06/2010, 04:53 PM
With all due respect to Marlin, I wouldn't say that the VX is a time/ money hog. I'm sure, like all cars, there are are a few out there that are "lemons" (NO I'm not making Proton pun :p ) but for the most part if you just take a little care of them they'll last you for a long time. I've used mine as a daily driver for the past four to five years and have not had any major issues with it (knock on wood). I still have my original engine, although it does drink a lot of oil I just keep an eye on it, and my original transmission, transfer case, rear end, etc. I have repacked the front bearings a couple of times, replaced the brake pads and rotors once (by choice, the originals where fine), and replaced the timing belt/ water pump (again, by choice but that was more preventative maintenance).

Find a good one, give it some love, and it'll repay you with many many happy miles.

Marlin
06/06/2010, 06:31 PM
I am not saying it has any more problems than other vehicles, just that some parts are incredibly expensive as compared to say, the Jeep equivalent. Ask those that have had fender benders, only to have the their beloved VX totaled because it cost more to replace the cladding and fenders than it does just to buy a whole new (used) one. When it comes time to replace something as simple as the AC compressor and you need to get a loan to get the part. A resourceful person can scour yards, find and modify cross over parts. That is all I am saying, do not walk into a VX naive and excited about turning heads. There is more to it than that. Hell, an OEM shock is hundreds of dollars!!!! As I said, I love my truck, I daily drive her, and I have learned more about working on cars with this vehicle than even my old Bronco II that had over 200K miles on it. :bgwb:

Big G
06/07/2010, 08:30 PM
Guys and Girls, THANK you all for the info you have provided so far. I am not going into this with my eyes close or glazed over for that matter. Any vehicle that is > 10 years old with only 4 thousand examples running around is going to present a potential problem with parts availability and they won’t be cheep. I grew up working for my father at his gas station and have worked on cars for years and can do most things mechanically. Yes once up on a time gas stations actually serviced cars. I have owned many vehicles including a ’79 International Scout (I actually replace the body it rusted so badly), a ’65 Corvette and a ’94 Jeep Wrangler. I currently own a ’01 Dakota quad cab 4x4 which I am going to sell. I am looking to replace it. Originally I was going to look for another Jeep (yes I did love the Wrangler) however I have always loved the VX. I don’t know which one of you said “they made millions of Jeeps, but only 4 thousand VXs” it but I agree. I have been looking for several months at Wranglers and for similar $$ it appears with some patience, diligence, luck and perseverance I believe can fine a good VX (I know I can find cheep Jeeps but they are rusty, beaten and common). I am learning a great deal about the vehicle what to look for etc. thanks in large part to you all. With such a dedicated following and active owners group as this one I think most things/problems can be resolved. There are two things however, that make me a little uneasy. First, the auto transmission and the TOD system scare me some what. I can work on most anything but I have no experience with these. Second, I am 6’ 5’’ 240 lbs and I’m concerned about head-room in the VX. Anyway I will continue to look and learn. I will keep you posted on my progress and I will continue to ask questions.

THANKS Big G

VX KAT
06/07/2010, 09:48 PM
Second, I am 6’ 5’’ 240 lbs and I’m concerned about head-room in the VX.
THANKS Big G

Here's some info... ...lasturbo 6'7" and galvinsc 6'8" both say they fit...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16702&highlight=headroom+fit

Here's another thread.....another big boy..IndianaVX...6'8"
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13847&highlight=headroom+fit

RallyDude
06/29/2010, 10:29 PM
Sounds like your a pretty handy guy, when the auto trans dies, do a 5-speed swapout; several members have done just that here. Welcome to the addiction. You'll have plenty of leg room and I'm guessing headroom as well.