PDA

View Full Version : Expensive weekend

Chopper
06/05/2010, 01:17 PM
I deciced to do the front brakes. They were getting down there, and I wanted to put the SS lines on. I ordered OEMs for 110.00 from Merlin (ouch) Figured I'd repack the bearings and make a weekend of it....couple weeks goes by and they're still in the toolbox....Decided today is the day....got a jug of Mobil 1 and a K&N filter for the heck of it. Went to turn the VX around and there it was....a little puddle of green! OOOO NOOOOO....DAMN DAMN DAMN !!! Waterpump I'm guessing....I've had the car 10 years...gotta do the serpentine belt and tensioner too....CRAP!!! Guess it only makes sense to do the timing belt, while I'm in there....AND it's tensioner Man o MAN Like 800.00 bucks.....One expensive brake job. Worst of all....I gotta park it till I do the work. What else am I missing? Anyone?

MSHardeman
06/05/2010, 01:52 PM
Chopper, sounds like you've got everything covered. I followed Bart's (nfpgasmask) write up on replacing the timing belt, and like him (and you it seems) I went with all OEM parts. If you look at the write up it will tell you everything that you need to replace (I did the radiator hoses too). The only other thing that I did during the timing belt replacement was to replace the spark plugs too. Of course mine where the original plugs and the VX had 95,000 miles on it so I figured it was time.:rolleyes:

Also there is a good write up that Kenny did on replacing the front rotors and repacking the bearings. There is also some good instructions over on the Planet too. http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=56&Isuzu_Front_Bearing_Repack

Chopper
06/05/2010, 06:06 PM
That's everything I could think of. I wanted to get everything at one time from Merlin. Plus...it's all still easy to get. In a few years..maybe not so much. I figure the car will be another 10 years before I need to do this again