PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions: Vanity Plate and possible Engine Swaps

RamAirZ
06/03/2010, 11:07 PM
Well I'm getting ready to register ol' Silvia here in Florida and I was contemplating a Vanity Plate. I was thinking something like this:

TNKA-TY

I wanted TNKA-TOY but it seems to be taken according to the online plate look-up, as well as TONKA-TY. Would you get the reference with TNKA-TY? I've had about 8 people now refer to my truck has one so thought it would be a funny plate :bwgy:

Also, I have a vacation paycheck coming soon and I'm thinking about starting to put aside some money for some "performance" upgrades. I've got a few ideas floating around my head and thought I'd get some opinions:

Idea #1: Keep the 3.5, rebuild when needed and slap the new "Alpine" kit on it when it comes out. If I go this route I will be AT LEAST swapping the TOD case for a manual case with Revo Gears, and possibly a full MUA5 swap (trying to think of the wife, she can't drive stick worth a crap, and in case of emergency type thing)

Idea #2: Go a little further and swap in a LM4 5.3 V8 (aluminum block version) with ported heads, LS6 camshaft and a Magnacharger, coupled to a built 4L60E with a Dana 300 off the back and twin-sticked. I've done these type of motor swaps a few times so it would be very familiar and somewhat "easy" (used loosely)

Idea #3: I've been thinking about swapping in a 4JB1T Diesel (also considering the 4JG2 but supposedly the 4JB1 is a better overall engine) and associated transmission/t-case. This would be a REALLY neat swap, but it wouldn't be a tire burner by any means.

All of them have there +'s and -'s, and I think I'd be happy with any of them. I'm leaning toward the LM4 swap as it could serve double duty: track AND trail :p What do you guys think? Out of all of these the LM4 would be the easiest/cheapest to get parts for in the event of an engine problem, but the 4JB1 would probably get the best MPG (the LM4 would be close though), and the 3.5 would be the simplest of all (I could even rebuild with forged internals to play with more boost and contact HP-Heaven about some camshafts and what not). Just some late night thinking, was out in the garage straightening up and my mind was racing haha

Riff Raff
06/04/2010, 04:51 AM
How 'bout just plain "TONKA" as a vanity plate. People will automatically add in the Toy part on their own. Be careful of the use of Toy on a vanity plate, as it often refers to Toyota as a nickname (might look odd on a Isuzu product).:bgwb:

etlsport
06/04/2010, 04:56 AM
id stick with the 3.5 imho. an engine swap would be awesome, but unless you can do without the VX for a month or more, may not be practical

id love to do a supercharger and 5 speed swap, maybe some 4.78s.. could be some serious fun!

tom4bren
06/04/2010, 06:48 AM
I like 'TONKA'.

I think there's an old thread on vanity plates if you can find it.

Maybe I should get a new plate: 'LAUNCHD' (ref: recent accident):)

Mile High VX
06/04/2010, 07:06 AM
Believe that would be this one:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9673&highlight=vanity+plates

Triathlete
06/04/2010, 09:29 AM
Option 2 with a full how-to write up and lots of pics!:yesy:

My plate says "ZUICIDL":bwgy:

RamAirZ
06/04/2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys. If I do go the engine swap route I'll have another DD by then (looking at some troopers, rodeo's and Pups in my area) so having it down for an extended period of time won't be a big deal. And thanks for the TONKA idea, I may go that route too, or could go TQNKA TY, sometimes the Q looks like an O to everyone else at first going down the road. And I did think about the "TOY" part of it Riff lol, don't want people thinking it's a toyota but I think they would get it. And if I go with either #2 or #3, there would be a full write up on it, trust me lol. If I go with #2 I already know how I could keep all the factory gauges working (and I would wire a switch on the t-case shifter to the TOD gauge to light up all 4 when I push the sticks). Just some ideas for now, still going through the logistics of all of em'. And awesome plate, ZUICIDL, haha

Hiredgoon
06/04/2010, 10:06 AM
I don't even know if there's room for it under our hood, but I have a crush on the 3L BMW inline six clean diesel engine they put in the rally fighter. Man that thing is sexy. Not a ton of hp but a crapload of torque.

http://jalopnik.com/5398878/rally-fighter-engine-suspension-photos/gallery/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMk4yu1I4U

RamAirZ
06/04/2010, 10:10 AM
Ya I don't think the inline would fit lol. Well, anything can fit with work (moving firewall back, extending fenders and moving core support forward, etc etc) but that's ALOT of work.

VCrossfan
06/04/2010, 10:31 AM
TONKA is a great name for a Proton VX (the real Tonka's in my era were Yellow). I base my plate on the most common question people ask me...http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/102_0893.JPG

RamAirZ
06/04/2010, 10:46 AM
Ya if it was a Proton for sure (all my Tonka's were yellow too) but I still here it alot even being silver lol. I could go with WTF ISIT haha

89Vette
06/05/2010, 02:08 PM
Nice plate? Even WTH or WTF would suffice! LOL

BTW...Where d'ya get those front guards? (silver -- behind and down from the plate)

I also like the "VX" badge!!!

TONKA is a great name for a Proton VX (the real Tonka's in my era were Yellow). I base my plate on the most common question people ask me...http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/102_0893.JPG

89Vette
06/05/2010, 02:10 PM
How about this for a license plate?

V-WHAT?

-- or --

V-WTH?

-- or --

V-HUH?

FlyingV77
06/05/2010, 08:47 PM
no idea on the plate. but heres what i wanted to when i needed a new motor. corvette motor, about 25k for all the mods needed. what i did: new block bored and stroked to a 3.7

VX KAT
06/05/2010, 10:55 PM
BTW...Where d'ya get those front guards? (silver -- behind and down from the plate)

Rowhard makes & sells them, they're fiberglass. There're several forum members that have them. (tomdietrying, LDub, rickshaw, Snowtrooper1966 come to mind, but there are several more)

He has them listed under "Parts & Accessories" for sale:
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=31

Mile High VX
06/06/2010, 06:30 AM
Rowhard makes & sells them, they're fiberglass. There're several forum members that have them. (tomdietrying, LDub, rickshaw, Snowtrooper1966 come to mind, but there are several more)

They're AWESOME!

Great quality, craftsmanship, and price...one of my first and favorite mods...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Ldub
06/06/2010, 06:43 AM
They're AWESOME!

Great quality, craftsmanship, and price...one of my first and favorite mods...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

X 2 !!!!!!...:thumbup:

RamAirZ
06/06/2010, 09:15 AM
no idea on the plate. but heres what i wanted to when i needed a new motor. corvette motor, about 25k for all the mods needed. what i did: new block bored and stroked to a 3.7

Was that paying someone to do it? And how did you stroke the 3.5, didn't think there was a different crank for them. I did an LS1/T56 swap in a previous vehicle for under 6K but that was with me doing everything including building my own long tube headers.

89Vette
06/06/2010, 08:45 PM

"Webpage not found" was the result of my click. I believe it's incomplete.

Edit: Looks like I found the post....
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Classified&file=viewarticle&id=31

BTW: Weird that my link LOOKS just like yours though yours didn't work for me. (I know there's more than displayed.)

FlyingV77
06/10/2010, 07:37 PM
some else doing the work. i love my cars enough to not do the work myself. last time i tryed there was a huge fire. 10-15k for the motor depending on the year. then a boat load to make the drive train handle the power and torque. the some to make it fit and labor. 25k was the quick estimet. when i heard that number i said never mind. have you decided on what your doing yet?

RamAirZ
06/10/2010, 07:46 PM
10-15K for the motor? Are you buying a brand new one through the dealer? You could get one used and rebuild it for WAY under that. I guess it helps out alot for me that I can do all that crap myself (rebuilding engines, transmissions etc). The rear axle shouldn't need any upgrading for the TQ, the front axle and CV's, possibly but no real upgrades. The hardest part would be getting it mounted and wired up and still keeping all the factory gauges and stuff which is what I would do. I'm currently trying to find another DD so I can get a little crazy with the VX. I'm leaning toward the 5.3 swap but run an Isuzu MUA5 manual trans behind it with the Revo 3:1 gear set in the t-case.

rowhard
06/10/2010, 07:47 PM
Been thinking of changing mine from;

VXLOVER

to

1PMS VX

RamAirZ
06/10/2010, 07:52 PM
lol PMS

Vendetta
06/10/2010, 09:31 PM
PERFECT thread for me. Just getting my VX back on the road after 3 years and doing an engine rebuild/swap, weighing options at the moment.

And, as I had to reregister the ol' gal, of course it was time for a custom plate. The old one was....

DEPRAVED

...after fighting with DMV to let me have it (synonym is "perverted," so... yeah).

So it was a toss-up...

VXING or VEXING (which I'm STUNNED was available...)

And the winner is........

VEXING

Can't wait to get her back now. I'm all kinds of into it.

Ciao!
-V

RamAirZ
06/10/2010, 09:37 PM
awesome!