PDA

View Full Version : is this exhaust problem common

djvx
06/02/2010, 09:43 PM
My exhaust blew a hole through the mesh covered area just past the stainless steel or partial ceramic y pipe that converts to a single pipe. The are is directly under the driver seat.
I self repaired it by torching through the wicked ceramicy stainless steel end and cut through the other end which was normal steel. I put a solid peice of exhaust pipe but i can't get it to seal. The front pipe is not a true circle so i put some goopy sealant around it but it still farts around it. I basically destroyed the front piece by torching it- I think its a $1200.00 piece! Any suggestions out there to seal it better?

Ldub
06/02/2010, 11:59 PM
T^ke it a mom & poop shope & hahe ay noow flax joynt pud in...:yesgray:

Soree..i ben up fer 2wne sevn hoorz N th burb iz kikn N...:yesgray:

tom4bren
06/03/2010, 04:00 AM
Yah, what Dub said.

That mesh looking thinggy is your flex pipe. Since your engine moves during revs & the exhaust system is such a long relatively solid structure, you need it in place.

A decent Mom-n-Pop exhaust shop should be able to replace the flex for less than $100 (IIRC the last time I had one done was about $50 but that was 10 years ago).

They should be also be able to repair what you fixed on the collector (Y pipe).

Dub & I mention a A decent Mom-n-Pop exhaust shop because typically a big box shop will want to replace damaged components with OEM equivalent. The smaller shops will use more generic components & adapt.

etlsport
06/03/2010, 04:14 AM
yea its pretty common too.. mine rattles like nobodys business, i know that Spikes recently broke clean through, causing him some significant power loss

djvx
06/03/2010, 08:54 PM
Well thanks a bunch yous guys are da best...I can sleep well tonite :snooz:

RamAirZ
06/03/2010, 11:51 PM
Looks like Dub will be sleeping well too lol

nfpgasmask
06/04/2010, 09:51 AM
Yup, mine has a hole in the flex pipe right now. I need to get it fixed. I would imagine any muffler shop can fix the flex pipe for under $100. I'm gonna do mine soon.

Bart

djvx
06/14/2010, 01:51 PM
Yep, the ma n pa muffler place fixed it today-exactly 100.00 plus tax. Thanks everyone!

Ldub
06/15/2010, 12:43 AM
Yep, the ma n pa muffler place fixed it today-exactly 100.00 plus tax. Thanks everyone!

:dance:.:yes:.:dance: