PDA

View Full Version : Alarm with Auto Start

johnnyapollo
08/24/2003, 08:57 AM
Hey you modders!

I've been toying for a while with the idea of upgrading the alarm to something better with auto-start and more options. After doing a bunch of research, I initially was going to go with the Viper 790 with 2-way paging. This alarm is supported by many local installers. After listening to some comments by other members on the ClubVMag board (http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/003445.html) I decided to go with the Compustar 2WSS-AS -- it uses more sophisticated Spread Spectrum technology and has a range of 6000 feet (I also like the button position better on the remote).

Here's my question. I did quite a bit of searching and could only find one installer local to me. I don't know if I didn't search enough, or if the installers of this unit are few and far between (I even tried Compustar for a list of installers and they never responded). In any case, Traffic Jams (which was identified by dyanni), is about it for the Atlanta region. They want $600 for the unit with a basic install.

I decided to try purchasing one off eBay and either have some local installer put it in for me, or try it myself. I recently won a complete kit on eBay for $250 ($268 shipped). Does anyone out there know what a fair price for the install would be? I'm thinking that I'll still save a $100 or more over the install price quoted by Traffic Jams). Or, has anyone out there installed an alarm with auto-start, and could either tell me some pointers, or warn me off from the attempt? I know there is some risk involved due to the connection with the ignition wiring. I need some experienced opinions here.

In preparation for the install, I have all the recommended tools, the VX Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, the wiring schematic for the existing factory alarm, and an alarm/auto-start installer's guide in pdf format. It doesn't look that hard nor that complicated, but I'm a little worried that I'll do something stupid during the install.

Opinions?

-- Thanks, John

XCross69
08/24/2003, 10:02 AM
I'm not much help to ya with the installation process...I did get an alarm/remote system installed on mine. The place I went to was able to get most brands however they highly recomended a Crime Stopper two way page-n system. It, at the time, was the latest thing Crime Stopper had come out with. After it was installed I did have a problem with reception, come to find out the transceiver(sp?) was bad....they replaced it and I haven't had any trouble since...It to has many options, I can get the back gate hooked to it as well as the windows, to role up or down at the touch of the button...of course if you have the $$$$ you can do alot with it. My system cost right at $500 once complete. Good luck if you try to do it yoursef, to many wires for me to even think about mess-n with.

Joe_Black
08/24/2003, 10:54 AM
When I had my restoration shop open I was also an authorized CrimeStopper dealer/installer. Alarm systems are incredibly easy to install. Consequently they're also incredibly easy to defeat as well. But, it gives most peace of mind and on some occasions an insurance discount. In any case, to make life difficult for any would-be thief, you can fab your own wiring harness out of a single color wire. All you need to do is get a spool of whatever color wire you want in the same guage and type (stranded, solid etc.) as the original harness. Then take some masking tape and put a tab of tape on each end of each individual strand. While you've got 'em separated mark each end of each strand to correspond with the colors and/or markings of the original harness. After installation and everything tests okay remove the tape tabs. Then if someone knows to just cut the "blue wire" or somesuch they'll be royally screwed when trying to jack your ride and move on to the next. Time is money! This is also a great technique to use if you do your own home security systems, but only if you hide the sensors and not place them in plain site like most installers.

Anyway, there's my $.02!

Heraclid
08/24/2003, 02:33 PM
Be careful - I believe there have been issues with VehiCrosses equipped with remote starters and they've had to be disabled - I'll try to find out where I saw that.

kpaske
08/24/2003, 10:10 PM
Joe_Black - thanks for the excellent idea about wiring. If I ever install my own alarm, I think I'll try that.

Johnnyapollo - I encourage you to try to install on your own. I've found that while time consuming, and often a bit costly (if you make a lot of mistakes, like me ;eekb; ), installing your own equipment is worth it, if only for the knowledge and ability to tweak and upgrade things on your own. Overall, you'll likely end up saving yourself money.

I personally have a Sidewinder alarm installed, with the window kit and autostart. I did have it professionally installed, and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

paultvx
08/25/2003, 12:09 AM
I have a one sheet wire print out of the Vehicross. It was pulled from the DEI wiring database (accessible only to DEI authorized installers). It should make installationg a little easier. I'll scan that tomorrow and send it on to you if you wish.

I don't know about buying stuff off of eBay, it's always a tremendous risk... no matter what you are buying. With alarms, one thing is for sure, forget about having any sort of warranty coverage by Compustar if your unit ever goes bad or turns out to be DOA. $250 for the spread spectrum is a great deal. I paid that much for the FM unit through connections I have with a local installer. Haven't had the time to install it yet. By installing it yourself, you save at least $600 on labor alone.

By the way, I don't believe the Compustar units ship with installation instructions. They don't want people to install their products on their own. I may be able to get a set of instructions for you through my connection (difficult guy to get a hold of), but no promises... and it might take time and will probably cost you.

Tone
08/25/2003, 10:23 AM
I’ve had both a DEI and an AutoPage on my VX with remote start and no problems. Correct wire does need to be tapped but an experienced installer should not have a problem with it. There are many others with various makes of alarms that are also working fine.

I would discourage self install of alarms unless you are WAY familiar with not only the specific vehicle but the whole electrical/data system of modern vehicles. Ask to watch at a shop doing an alarm for someone else before you even consider it (it’s like making sausage - you prob. don’t want to see what goes on). In any case, be sure to hide the alarm brain as far up in the dash as possible to make disabling it that much more difficult.

Heraclid
08/25/2003, 05:04 PM
I've read in more than one place about VehiCrosses with problems caused by aftermarket remote starter installations. Only tracked one of 'em down so far, and it just touches on it. I don't know precisely why it's a problem either, just that it has been documented. One review has a list of trouble spots for the VX, and goes on to say the following:

"Starter: Aftermarket remote-starting devices may cause the transmission to upshift roughly. Removing the remote kit will correct the condition. (1999-2000)"

The whole review can be found here:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2456.htm#trouble

BTW, just gotta laugh at this report's cost for alternator repair... try twice that folks.

Yefim
08/25/2003, 06:46 PM
I believe you are talking about this Service Bulletin:

Remote Starter Kits - Causes MIL ON (P0705) set
BULLETIN NUMBER:
IB00-S007

GROUP:
INFORMATION

ISSUE DATE:
FEBRUARY 2000

USE OF REMOTE STARTER KITS

AFFECTED VEHICLES

ALL 1998-2000 Rodeo (UE), Trooper (UX), and VehiCROSS (VX) with Automatic Transmission.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Some Remote Starter Installations may cause the MIL to set and store P0705. American Isuzu Motors does not sell Remote Starter Kits and does not recommend any particular installation. The code will normally set after the unit is placed in drive gear. On some installations, the code will not set if the customer re-starts the vehicle with the key prior to placing the transmission into drive gear. If this procedure does not eliminate the code from setting, it may be necessary to remove the Remote Starter Kit.

Some Remote Starter Installations may cause the transmission to shift hard. It has been found that if the customer remote starts the vehicle and drives the unit without re-starting the vehicle, the transmission may have harsh up-shifts. The condition will disappear after the key is cycled. The customer must be informed that the vehicle must be re-started to avoid this condition.

driver3
12/10/2003, 12:17 PM
Hey tone, what did you think of the autopage remote starter? I'm looking at these models
RF-750LCD
RF-850LCD
RS-610 Plus

I'm not interested in the alarm as much as I am the remote door popper button, keyless entry and of course the auto start...
I guess what I'm looking for is what model did you have and why don't you have it anymore? Also, if I get an installer, I need to know what the correct wire is so I can let him know, someone said the one listed in some of the install instructions for certain remotes is not the right one.... Thanks

Rickster
12/10/2003, 12:27 PM
I've had the 750LCD on my VX for 2 years, no problems at all.

Rickster

totallto
12/12/2003, 11:02 AM
Paultvx

I would like to get that one sheet wire print out of the Vehicross.
I think that its time to install a passive type alarm in my VX. Can you send me a copy too?

thanks

AJ

VCAMILO
12/12/2003, 02:45 PM
I have a alarm starter from Hornet and I guess I can say that I have some hard shifting when Im taking a turn and accelerating and when im taking on small hills. I will try the same curves and hills w/out remote starting. Hum...;Db; This could be good info.

coachreed
01/04/2004, 06:58 AM
I have a Clifford Matrixs RSX 3.5... sitting waiting for a running VX so I can install it! lol I was able to purchase it through work for $116! ;eekb; It is a keyless entry, security, remote start, two way paging system. Typical installation at my work is around $150... my system retails for $399 I think.

As for the problems with remote start system causing shifting problems... sounds like operator error. We do TONS of remote start systems in our bay and NEVER have a problem like that... If the system is installed correctly, and operated correctly, it is no different from hitting the key. A service bulletin is a dealers way of covering their buts on stuff that they can't explain... even if it ISN'T because of aftermarket equipment... typical of a service department!

I don't know if there are any differences between the 99-01 VX... but below are DEI Techsoft pages... showing wiring color, function, and locations. This is what we use when doing a remote start or security system at our store. Of course, IF you have no experience, it is recommended that you let a professional do the job... its not a tough job, but if you do it wrong, its not tough to screw things up either. Good luck!

'99 VX

| ITEM | WIRE COLOR |POL| WIRE LOCATION |
| 12V|white & white/black |+ |ignition harness |
| STARTER|blk/wht or wht/blu |+ |ignition harness |
| IGNITION|blk/yel or blk/red |+ |ignition harness |
| SECOND IGNITION|blk/red or blk/yel |+ |ignition harness |
| ACCESSORY|blue |+ |ignition harness |
| POWER LOCK|red/white |- |drivers door harness or *1 |
| POWER UNLOCK|red/black |- |drivers door harness or *1 |
| LOCK MOTOR|lt. green | |drivers door harness |
| UNLOCK MOTOR|lt. green/black | |drivers door harness |
| DISARM DEFEAT|lt. green/black | |passengers door harness |
| PARKING LIGHTS +|green/red | |drivers kick panel |
| PARKING LIGHTS -|yellow or grn/yel | |headlight switch |
| HEADLIGHTS|red or red/blu |- |headlight switch |
| DOOR TRIGGER|red/green |- |passenger kick panel *2 |
| DOME SUPERVISION|use door trigger | | |
| FCTRY ALARM ARM| | | |
|FCTRY ALRM DISARM|lt. green/red |- |drivers door lock switch |
| DISARM NO UNLOCK| | | |
| TACHOMETER|black/red | |PCM *3 |
| SPEED SENSE|lt. green/white | |PCM *3 |
| BRAKE WIRE|red |+ |brake switch |
| HORN TRIGGER|green or orn/blk |- |steering column |
| WIPERS|blu/yel & blu/wht |+ |wiper switch |
| LF WINDOW UP/DN|blu/red - brn/wht |A |drivers window switch |
| RF WINDOW UP/DN|blu/red - brn/wht |A |passenger window switch |
| RADIO 12V|red/white |+ |radio |
| RADIO GROUND|black |- |radio |
| RADIO SWITCH|red/blue |+ |radio |
| RADIO ILLUMINATE|green/red |+ |radio |
| LF SPEAKER|blue - yellow | |radio or speaker |
| RF SPEAKER|green - gray | |radio or speaker |
| LR SPEAKER|red - white | |radio or speaker |
| RR SPEAKER|blue - white | |radio or speaker |

Notes:
*1 Also found at the keyless module located to the drivers side of the steering column.
*2 Located high in the passengers kick in a white 22-pin plug. *3 Found in a red plug of
the PCM located in the center console.

'00 VX

| FCTRY ALARM ARM| | | |

Notes:
*1 Also found at the keyless module located to the drivers side of the
steering column. *2 Located high in the passengers kick in a white 22-pin
plug. *3 Found in a red plug of the PCM located in the center console.

'01 VX

| FCTRY ALARM ARM| | | |

Notes:
*1 Also found at the keyless module located to the drivers side of the
steering column. *2 Located high in the passengers kick in a white 22-pin
plug. *3 Found in a red plug of the PCM located in the center console.

Hope this helps ALL. Take care!

AlaskaVX
01/05/2004, 04:21 PM
I got the Compustar 2WFM alarm for $270 and installed for $300 labor. Supposedley you have to have a "Compustar installer" install it. When I walked into the shop and said I want this installed they looked at me like like I was crazy and asked "Where did you get that? They aren't supposed to leave the store!" I then had to tell them about this thing called the "internet" LOL.

There were only 2 shops here that would do it and I actually think it was the same installer at both shops LOL. I am very happy with my alarm. It works in a lot of places you wouldn't expect it to.

Rickster
01/29/2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
I've read in more than one place about VehiCrosses with problems caused by aftermarket remote starter installations. Only tracked one of 'em down so far, and it just touches on it. I don't know precisely why it's a problem either, just that it has been documented. One review has a list of trouble spots for the VX, and goes on to say the following:

"Starter: Aftermarket remote-starting devices may cause the transmission to upshift roughly. Removing the remote kit will correct the condition. (1999-2000)"

The whole review can be found here:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2456.htm#trouble

BTW, just gotta laugh at this report's cost for alternator repair... try twice that folks.

The biggest problem is the second ignition wire tap.

If it is not hooked up, the TOD is not engaged by the remote start, and you will either have harsh shifting, or winter mode at startup.

Rickster