PDA

View Full Version : Something for Moab (and other wheeling)...

Triathlete
05/31/2010, 05:52 PM
Those of you with Iphones might like this free app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/toyota-trail-tracker/id368064800?mt=8)...would come in handy in Moab (even Jack could get us to the correct trailhead then:bwgy:).

ZEUS
06/01/2010, 09:42 AM
That's cool! I've been thinking about getting an iphone after I sell the VX... I found a head unit that works great with it as well as an auto-start app and also a garage door opener app... and it just so happens I need a new garage door opener anyway... pretty soon we'll all be cyborgs with smart phone thingys implanted on our forearms.

Triathlete
06/01/2010, 01:34 PM
My wife just got a DROID....so much cooler sounding than IPhone!:bgwo: I have to check into the apps for it and see what they have.

Ascinder
06/01/2010, 03:34 PM
THIS (http://plaincode.com/products/clinometer/) is another Iphone must have for wheelin':yeso:

Gizmo42
06/01/2010, 05:54 PM
The problem is, those with iphones get spotty service at best on the trails in moab. There were a few ppl on ToW that said they werent getting signal. I had at least 2 bars all the way on mine. If the rumors of verizon getting an iphone are true, that would help a lot. Verizon has much better coverage in this part of the country then the others.

Moncha
06/01/2010, 06:07 PM
I use Trimble Outdoors (http://portal.trimbleoutdoors.com/Main/Products/TrimbleOutdoors/tabid/260/Default.aspx) (www.trimbleoutdoors.com) for my Blackberry Storm. It has true GPS as well as network assisted. It provides everything from sat views all the way to topo maps. Configures for hiking, biking, geocaching, 4-wheeling, rafting, walking, does turn-by-turn nav, and more. You can import from Google Earth, .gpx and others.

They provide it for all kinds of phones and devices. I know I sound like an advert and no it's not free ($19.99). But I've been using it for a over a year and it's great!

Grif
06/01/2010, 06:47 PM
I have a Droid Incredible. It has a real GPS as well as assisted GPS (cell tower triangulation). All GPS apps for the Droid work with both types.

iPhones still rely on ATT which has spotty voice coverage at best, but what you need is speedy data coverage as well. If you are outside of major metropolitan areas ATT data is almost non-existant, and voice connectivity is notoriously bad even in metro areas. ATT's network has been flooded with iPhone data traffic so even if you get a droid or a WinMo device on ATT, the service is still spotty as hell.

Most Droid apps are free, Google maps works flawlessly, I really have no need for anything else but Google Maps, as it does it all if you know how to use it. My bluetooth OBDII reader feeds realtime engine data to all of my (free) OBD Droid apps without a hitch. And can even upload the data in realtime to a website for later analysis. Verizon 3G data coverage is ubiquitous and fast even down here in backwater Alabama.

I'm not locked down into installing "Apple approved" applications from their "App Store", and when the Droid Incredible gets rooted, then I'll be able to run my choice of operating systems, overclock my CPU for greater performance and tether my data connection to my laptop WIRELESLY for free.

Not only that, but it can to those things all at the same time, Its called "multitasking" a twenty year old concept that the iPhone just cant get thier head around. Oh, and I can also copy/paste data between my apps. Copying and pasting, the simplest of data tasks, is still non-existant on the iPhone.

Android is is pretty as the iPhone OS, and just as fast if not faster. Its more versatile and Open Source.

Triathelete, I'm glad you enjoy your device.

iDont,

Droid Does.

RickOKC
06/01/2010, 07:57 PM
AT&T is currently on my No-Likey List. (I've been "cellular only" for the last several years. Over the last few months my reception at home has degraded to almost nothing. I'm not happy.)

For laptop users, I sure like the Delorme products. I think it's cool how you can pick and choose what you need. You can get a nationwide street map with a wired GPS receiver bundle for about $70. If your smart phone has a built-in GPS receiver, you can get the software only for about $40. If you would prefer having a wireless, rechargeable Bluetooth GPS receiver that may work with either your laptop or smart phone, they run about $100. (You may need to get a Bluetooth receiver for your laptop ($25?) There is also a version that has nationwide topographic maps and the wireless receiver for $150. And, you can buy an add-on with satellite views for $40. Any version of the basic street map software works with PC, Pocket PC, Windows Mobile & Palm. Mac - don't remember? It's been a while since I bought mine, but some could log and save your path. Anyway, it keeps you from having to rely on cell networks and there is no charge for receiving GPS signals.

Triathlete
06/01/2010, 08:09 PM
I just have a plain ol LG phone! The wife got the Droid and we are on Verizon. We switched to Verizon years ago because it had the best coverage when we were out wheeling and camping.

Grif
06/01/2010, 08:25 PM
I just have a plain ol LG phone! The wife got the Droid and we are on Verizon. We switched to Verizon years ago because it had the best coverage when we were out wheeling and camping.

My bad, your original post sounded like you had an iPhone. Guess that was a bad assumption on my part, you were just making us aware of an iPhone app.

Plenty of similar apps on other platforms, and better.