PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a new light unit please

FuddyMucker
05/27/2010, 05:06 AM
Hi Guys, since rebuilding my VX engine she has been running like a dream.
But today someone decided to throw a motorbike at the back of the car and has smashed the nearside rear light cluster! He did say sorry and offer to cover the cost of a new one but I dont think it will be that simple because I don't know where to get a replacement, guess it will need to come from the US as I haven't seen anyone breaking one over here.

Any Ideas

kirk hilton
05/27/2010, 05:31 AM
That's a bummer. It might be possible to get a replacement from the US or A. One of our American friends perhaps could help but I suspect it wont be cheap or quick. I'm also pretty certain that the cluster is unique to the VX, however it out be a nice surprise to know I'm wrong about that.

Mile High VX
05/27/2010, 06:20 AM
Might be some help...

Don't ask me how I get myself into these things....

I bought a roof rack from a seller in Atlanta this week. Turns out she knew of a wrecked VX in a local junkyard, so she went & got some parts off it to sell here. VX had a front and driver's side impact. She also registered on the forum (Renatka55). Don't know condition of any of these...call Renata to get info: 678-907-4779

~Cladding EXCEPT front bumper, driver's front fender and driver's door (I think driver's rear fender OK)
~Center armrest - said it didn't have the common rips on top
~Passenger door regulator (not sure if that's the correct name)
~Rear cargo mat
~I think she got a few more bits, can't recall them tho
~She could go back and get other parts too

She said she could ship cladding.

tom4bren
05/27/2010, 07:10 AM
I'm traveling to the UK at the beginning of July. If you locate one here in the States, I can bring it with me.

rowhard
05/27/2010, 07:28 AM
She also registered on the forum (Renatka55).

Did a member search and a Renatka55 is not listed

Ldub
05/27/2010, 07:31 AM
Did a member search and a Renatka55 is not listed

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?userid=4234...:smilewink

VX KAT
05/27/2010, 10:34 AM
Hi Guys, since rebuilding my VX engine she has been running like a dream.
But today someone decided to throw a motorbike at the back of the car and has smashed the nearside rear light cluster! He did say sorry and offer to cover the cost of a new one but I dont think it will be that simple because I don't know where to get a replacement, guess it will need to come from the US as I haven't seen anyone breaking one over here.

Any Ideas
Translation please...are we talking about what we over here call the "tail light" (the red and amber colored tail light)?

Here's one on ebay, but no picture.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230467097513&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_2504wt_988

kirk hilton
05/27/2010, 10:54 AM
Of course everybody appreciates that the near side on a JDM in the UK is the off side on a US VX ! Or is it? Are they different?

FuddyMucker
05/27/2010, 11:03 AM
Sorry for not being clear, yes I mean the rear tail light and its our UK nearside light (or your USA drivers side).
Well This one...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/FuddyMucker/VX/IMAG0174.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies guys and the very generous offer from Tom4bren who would hand deliver one from the US, What an Offer, Cheers but if possible I would like to have it back on the road before July.

VX KAT
05/27/2010, 11:10 AM
Here's one...
I'll keep searching too. Need to call Merlin and see if available /how much.
If a seller doesn't don't ship to UK, I can get it shipped to me, then to you.

http://www.everdrive.com/partdetails.aspx?sku=1319371&utm_source=google&utm_medium=googlebase&utm_campaign=shopping

VX KAT
05/27/2010, 11:20 AM
Here's a UK parts search site.....
It shows the "tail lamp lense n/s"
http://www.carsparefinder.co.uk/carsparefinder/carparts.php?makeidpast=&modelidpast=&makeid=146&year=&quicksubmit=Next+Stage&modelid=5317&engine=

FuddyMucker
05/27/2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks VX Kat
I have set a request and am awaiting a reply
Cheers for the info

tom4bren
05/27/2010, 04:16 PM
Izzit just me or does that look like a bullet hole ... from the inside???

RickOKC
05/27/2010, 04:23 PM
Are you hinting that this may be a test vehicle for the next Bond movie*? Maybe a hidden machine gun didn't operate as expected?

*Bond 23: Veracity of Rhinoceroses in theaters Summer 2011.

rowhard
05/27/2010, 07:10 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?userid=4234...:smilewink

Thanks Dub. Only did a member search, was rushing to get out the door this morning.

alterastro
05/28/2010, 01:26 AM
Kat, that site is just a sort of 'let us know what you want and we'll see if any of our members have one' kinda site. I've tried them a few times and never had any luck. Always worth a try I guess though.

I can see another problem in that the picture of the one available in the US is different from our JDM ones. At very best you'll need a pair, but it might be they just done fit or the wiring is wrong too??

The only other help I can offer is try ringing Clive Goodridge. He has bought and sold lots of VX's in the past and has amassed quite a collection of parts. Dunno if he has one, but if not, he may have a suggestion.

Good luck!

Nick

FuddyMucker
05/28/2010, 02:46 AM
Thanks Nick

I have contacted Clive and he doesn't think he has one, but if he did he wouldn't be selling it as parts like these are gold dust over here.
He also recommended looking on Ebay USA as he believes they are the same unit and that the wiring is the same, not that it should be a big job to re-wire the cluster if I needed to.
Secondly he put me in contact with a UK Isuzu dealer that know what a Vehicross is, and as I type they are finding out how much a new unit from Japan would be? £££.pp

:bwgy: So thanks Nick for pointing me in the right direction :bwgy:

Will keep you posted

alterastro
05/28/2010, 05:49 AM
No worries - glad to be of help.

I was just flicking between your picture and the one on the link that Kat posted and they look different. The angles on th JDM one are much softer. I'm not sure the US one would actually fit. Maybe someone could post a picture similar to muddy's so we can compare better???

If not, good luck on the official part - best be sitting down when they call you!

Cheers

Nick

VX KAT
05/28/2010, 06:49 AM
No worries - glad to be of help.

I was just flicking between your picture and the one on the link that Kat posted and they look different. The angles on th JDM one are much softer. I'm not sure the US one would actually fit. Maybe someone could post a picture similar to muddy's so we can compare better???

If not, good luck on the official part - best be sitting down when they call you!

Cheers

Nick
It says below that picture that it's just a "generic representative" of a rear tail light, not the actual one, so that explains the different appearance.

FuddyMucker
05/28/2010, 01:27 PM
Well it maybe that I do go for a new one from Japan, The bloke rang me back and said he can't get an exact price until Tuesday but he has found the part number and thinks the part should come in at around £80 to £100 at his best guess. The good thing is, on top of this I will only need to pay UK delivery because they would just ship it over as part of there next bulk order. Just got to wait to find out the exact price :confused:
:yeso: finger crossed...:yeso:

So it could be that it works out cheaper to get a new one, with a second hand one from the States at around $160 plus shipping of about $55, in UK money that totals just under £150 (maybe £50 more than a new one).

alterastro
05/29/2010, 11:38 AM
It says below that picture that it's just a "generic representative" of a rear tail light, not the actual one, so that explains the different appearance.

Ah that explains it! Although the one in the picture is quite sexy :o

@Fuddy - That is good news! Lets hope his guess is accurate!

Nick

FuddyMucker
06/01/2010, 02:56 AM
Just placed my order for the new light unit from Isuzu

It was £94.62 plus the vat (£111.18 total)

should arrive with me in the next 18 days :yesy:

Good to know you can still get new parts for these beasts:bgwo:

Thanks again for all the good advice guys

kirk hilton
06/01/2010, 03:54 AM
so MF where did you finally order the replacement from? How were you able to identify the exact part you wanted? The price seems very good, so a contact number/address would be good to know in the future.