PDA

View Full Version : Shift out of park w/out key?

JAFO
08/23/2003, 02:59 PM
My VX was having problems releasing the key from the ignition after you have placed the vehicle in park and turned off the ignition. One time it took me 15 minutes to get the key out. A week ago I took it to the dealership and they replaced some lever to fix this problem.

Now I haven't had any more problems with the key but I noticed that you can shift the vehicle out of park without the key in the ignition.

My problem is I don't remember if it did that before they worked on it. Can someone check their's and let me know if you are supposted to be able to do this?

hitnrun74
08/23/2003, 03:07 PM
Nope, can't do that on mine. Can only shift with key on and brake pedal depressed.

Panther_Black_VX
08/23/2003, 07:38 PM
Yup, need the key to shift.....

SPAZZ
08/24/2003, 12:02 AM
Never ever did I nor do I need the key in the ignition...nor do have to do anything special for me to shift my VX..it will shift anyway with the key in or out...ignition on/off.....and I do not need to depress the button for the shifter either;eekp;

JAFO
08/24/2003, 12:59 AM
I do need to depress the button to get out of park but it will shift without the brake as well.

Interesting, I thought that these was a safety feature?

I'll have to ask the service manager next time I'm in for an oil change. Thanks for the replies!

Moncha
08/24/2003, 06:41 AM
James, something is wrong with that one.. I like the idead of not having to go through all the crap but you know how the engies like to put in "saftey" features..

Mine is key, brake and button.

Heraclid
08/24/2003, 09:39 AM
JAFO and SPAZZ, I also recently posted about my VX wanting to keep the key. I have not had the stuck key problem dealt with at the dealer yet so I will and see if mine shifts like yours is doing.

Heraclid
08/24/2003, 02:18 PM
Well to my knowledge I'd never tried anything like that and was pretty sure it wouldn't do it, but I was out running around a while ago and checked it out. Nope, my VX will not shift without brake, key, and depressing the button to throw the shifter.