PDA

View Full Version : HELP...? Can't get 'P'...?

Feidhlim
05/21/2010, 10:27 AM
Parked up today for an hour with key in ignition, started up and gear shift would not come out of P, button on shift would not depress, finally managed to depress button and get it out of P with 'mild force'... arrived home, now I cannot now get shift in to P... stuck in N with key in ignition... ANY IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS... HELP? Thx

vt_maverick
05/21/2010, 10:35 AM
Well I would have suggested turning the wheel to make sure you weren't in shift lock (happens if the wheel is turned too far from center when you shut the ignition off). But now that you forced it and are having the opposite problem I'm not sure. :confused:

Feidhlim
05/21/2010, 10:39 AM
Occurred to me too, actually turned steering lock to both extents... then touched brake pedal and your can hear a click in the gearbox, didn't make a difference but suspect might be related?

Feidhlim
05/21/2010, 11:46 AM
Although I really do believe it's a gearbox thing...

SilverBullet75
05/21/2010, 02:52 PM
You are the third one in a week...

Go here to see how I fixed mine... :)

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17994

Feidhlim
05/21/2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks, the devil's in the detail so I'll check out the physical tomorrow, of course I'll have to do it all in a mirror as mines right hand drive... thanks again, hope it's not a transcontinental epidemic...! F

circmand
05/21/2010, 03:31 PM
have you tried searching on the site and see if you can find the 3 or 4 different times this has been posted bfore?

Feidhlim
05/21/2010, 03:48 PM
No, but thanks for your input... ever had a problem that's left you in a mild panic or do you just prefer to pass negative comment, have some empathy...

Feidhlim
05/22/2010, 04:39 AM
Followed the video on this problem and it really did help in my understanding, I removed the centre console and I can get in and out of P as the solenoid seems to be working fine, ALAS... when I put the shift in to P the key will still not come out of the ignition, it seems to think it's still in gear? The dash also shows the shifter is in P... Two keys allows me to lock the VX but as one is still in the ignition I don't really want to park somewhere public... Also tried disconnecting the battery in the hope of it rebooting in some way, no joy.

etlsport
05/23/2010, 04:28 AM
my key used to get stuck in the ignition when the rod that comes up to the shifter wouldn't come all the way back up. If you havent tried this already, take the shifter handle off. there are two screws on it, one on the side and one on the dashboard side. there will be a rod with a white plastic piece sticking up out of the console. moving that up and down might help. I replaced my shifter and the new one stopped that rod from coming all the way up by maybe 2-3mm and that kept me from getting the key out of the ignition, but didn't affect moving in or out of park. ended up drilling out the inside of the shifter to allow more room, has worked perfectly for 2+ years now

also had this problem on a honda accord many years ago, determined after a long while that the problem was the ignition column itself. rather than replace it i did what you are, left the key in and locked it with another key. eventually the car got stolen. but after a week the police found it about 30 miles down the road and the key was gone from the ignition. it worked just fine for about 6-9 months after that when i sold the car :_confused