PDA

View Full Version : Crack!

Jonnie
08/23/2003, 10:50 AM
I've had a 1/2 inch crack in the center of the windshield that I went out to try to get fixed today.

I feel it should have been easily filled; Lloyds said they would "try" but there was the possibility that the crack would worsen and the whole glass would need to be replaced. I was thinking hmmmm, I bet they crack it on purpose. Well, it cracked more.

FL law has it where you do not have to pay anything for glass replacement, I figure the place wanted to be able to bill a larger amount.

So the old glass is still there with a bigger crack and I have to jocky around with the company to get the whole thing replaced and end up with leaks. :cryy:

Jonathan

Hotsauce
08/23/2003, 11:01 AM
I believe the rodeo windshield is the same, and has a heavy factory tint band at the top, you might want to get that one.

John C.

Jonnie
08/23/2003, 11:32 AM
Thanks, but that would be a problem, I am a taller driver, hee. But nice thought.!

Jonathan

Joe_Black
08/23/2003, 12:08 PM
Make sure to let your insurance company know, they probably have someone they deal with who'll get it done right and quick.

Pens
08/23/2003, 01:51 PM
When you get a crack you are pretty much screwed, a chip or something like a bb hole and they can take care of that. Once it starts to creep or spiderweb then it is almost impossible to stop.

Navigator
08/23/2003, 05:08 PM
... That's why your "comprehensive" insurance (if you carry it) covers it. Mine got a mystery crack a few weeks ago, started small, less than 2 inches. Called my agent immediatly, they sent a glass expert out within 4 hours to my VX in the parking lot where I work. In less than 4 hours the crack grew from 2 inches to nearly a foot. Glass guy says any crack longer than a dollar can't be safely repaired. Reason being, the compound used to fill/bond cracks is harder than glass, and would create a razor shapr projectile in the event of a crash. The repar would have been free, but because the crack grew, the windshield had to be replaced. Bottom line, all you pay is your deductible under you comprehensive insurance coverage. Your rates are not impacted, because this is an issue beyond your control.

BTW my new windshield has a nice dark tint across the top, dosen't block my view that much and cuts down on sun glare

Jonnie
08/23/2003, 05:19 PM
My deductible is $500, but they waived it for some reason. Geico.

Jonathan

AnalogVX
08/23/2003, 06:33 PM
I have 2 chips and one is spiderwebbing already. I am avoiding my Insurance company because I have a $500 deductible too. I am also terrified of having it leak afterward.

Triathlete
08/23/2003, 08:20 PM
I recieved a small chip right on the lower edge of the windshield and it grew up into a crack that now reaches to within 2-3 inches from the top:waag: :cryr: :deady:
http://pstr-m01.ygpweb.aol.com/data3/006/36/90/F0/4C/JPIdoxt+t0eApXEYl2KPMStCsRgYJrqI0300.jpg
0 deductible insurance...just to lazy to make the call:smack:
Arizona is notorious for its "chip sealing" AKA throwing gravel on a paved road!:mado:

Spike
08/25/2003, 11:34 AM
I wish my windshield had a gradient tint... I get way too much sun glare.

But I dislike the adhesive films because I think they look 'cheap'

Is it really true that we have the Rodeo windshield?

Navigator
08/26/2003, 07:49 AM
...Our windsheild is special. Plinkleton, I believe is the name of the manufacturer, makes the windshield special for the VX, or so I was told. But if you ask me, it sure looks like a Rodeo windshield :rolleyes:

BTW the tint is sweet, and I got to watch the guy install it on my lunch break, way cool. Also make sure the installer is very careful removing your OEM moldings or buy a set before install. The bulk moldings on the glass truck were way too fat and ugly. Luckily I was standing their the whol time and made sure everyting came off in one piece. No need to worry about leaks either, the seals are totally ripped out and replaced with a special quick set liquid black silicone sealant. Heck it's better than new.

Spike
08/26/2003, 03:08 PM
Interesting... What did that run? About $275 - 300?

Navigator
08/28/2003, 05:35 AM
$497.88 installed in under an hour, while you watch... covered totally by comprehensive insurance, so your actual cost will be whatever your deductable is.

Spike
08/28/2003, 07:11 AM
Next question... how long did it take for them to get the right windshield in stock? Hours? Days?

Nevermind.. I just realized you said they were there within 4 hours...

I wonder where they bring them in from.

Navigator
08/28/2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Spike
Next question... how long did it take for them to get the right windshield in stock? Hours? Days?

Nevermind.. I just realized you said they were there within 4 hours...

I wonder where they bring them in from.

I have no idea where they got it, I was too awe struck at how fast and courteous they were.

BTW, since the install we've had plenty of down pours from massive thunderstorms with high winds. No leaks :dance: . Better than new, I tell ya :naughty:

Spike
08/28/2003, 08:16 AM
My collision is 500, and comprehensive is 250...

I don't have any damage to my current windshield, nor do I want any. I just find it nice to know that I will more than likely have a gradient tint if I ever did need to replace it.

Navigator
08/28/2003, 08:44 AM
...It just came that way, I didn't ask for it, wasn't expecting it, and was pleasantly surprised :cool!: .

And I feel you on the not wanting any damage thing, trust me. My lunch that day was bottled water and a bag of plain Lay's potato chips, and if that's not bad enough, watching someone attack your windshield seals with what looks like a jack hammer is no picnic :rotate: I'd much rather never had a crack at all, I am just thankfull all turned out well :dance:

Spike
08/28/2003, 08:51 AM
And how did you keep those chips down during the whole process?

I am sure some of the time it took them to get to your site, was for them to pick up the windshield from a regional warehouse.

Can you post a pic of the new installation?

I would HATE to see how long it would take if someone lost a rear window!

Jonnie
08/29/2003, 08:52 AM
Windshield got replaced in about 30 minutes for $1098!!! Gee, glad it was not my bill. The insurance company sent the figures to the glass place, so it was their idea (glass was $844).

Since I have not even made the first payment, I was a bit nervous. I watched the guy do the whole job; at least he has been doing it for 13 years.

He said no accidents for a few days, the glass may not hold.

Jonathan

AlaskaVX
08/29/2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Jonnie
Windshield got replaced in about 30 minutes for $1098!!!
I can't believe any glass shop could charge that much for a new windshield! It would have costed me $317 if I didn't turn mine into insurance, with insurance- $100. I get rock chips like no other, in fact I think my windshield has 3 cracks and 2 other chips right now. It seems like I just replaced it but its been like 6 months. Alaskan roads can tear a windshield apart!

BigJoe
09/01/2003, 09:41 AM
I had to replace my winshield two weeks after getting my VX. It cost $475.00. The glass show was more than $100 less the the dealer, but he said he would have to order the trim piece for the top of the winshield. They did a good job and the new winshield had the tint at the top ($70 extra from the dealer).

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/12/2003, 06:36 PM
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRrrrrrggg! I was coming home from work today and since my Fiero is awaiting a new steering rack I was driving the VX and wouldn't ya know a "bleepin" Jeep rifled what seemed like a rocket propelled stone at my windshield and left a fish eye! I'm supposed to have it looked at tomorrow to see if it can be repaired. I'm guessing they'll say it's in the driver's vision zone and not repair it...keeping my fingers crossed it can be repaired instead of replaced. My luck for leaking windshields is unparalleled as every replacement windshield I've ever had installed eventually leaked! Wish me luck! I figure if they say it has to be replaced I'll leave it go until it cracks!

Green Dragon
11/12/2003, 06:52 PM
Drove thru a sandstorm which just scoured my windshield. Replaced the OEM Factory windshield with a VX replacement already dark tinted at the top.

I am 6:4 & have no visibility problems whatsoever with the increased Tint.

Dragon BoB:coolo:

AREA 51
11/13/2003, 07:26 AM
Warning:

Alternate applications of freon and hot water on a bullseye chip may cause it to turn into a CRACK. ;) ;)

Y33TREKker
11/13/2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by AREA 51
Warning:

Alternate applications of freon and hot water on a bullseye chip may cause it to turn into a CRACK. ;) ;)

Yeah, I hate it when that happens.

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/14/2003, 07:33 PM
Well...$40.00 for a windshield repair on the stone chip...the bulls-eye chip already had an L-shaped crack adjacent to it after impact. Supposedly the glass expert was happy with how his repair on my windshield turned out. The bulls-eye is practically gone after the repair but the L-shaped crack is just as visible. Hopefully it wont spread. Here in PA we've already had some pretty wide temp fluctuations...65 degrees during the day and snowing and blowing below freezing at night...then back up to almost 50 degrees today....time will tell....tick,tock

P.S.---had the VX up to 75mph on the interstate while fighting sustained 40mph winds with gusts up to 60mph....took it like a champ!

Charon_Sin
11/15/2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Jonnie
My deductible is $500, but they waived it for some reason. Geico.

Jonathan

As far as I know FL law requires insurance companies to replace glass at no cost to you regardless of deductible.

I live in AZ so I pay extra for no deductible glass. Well worth it. My last car had its windshield replaced 3 times in 2 years.

Jonnie
11/15/2003, 09:56 PM
The biggest bessing is that it is not leaking!

Jonathan

Charon_Sin
11/15/2003, 10:35 PM
Yeah, leaking is a bad thing. :)