PDA

View Full Version : Driving on the autobahn

Marlin
05/17/2010, 10:48 PM
Well, driving on the autobahn is fun but scary. The rental car is a Mercedes CDI diesel wagon. Sweet car. If I could get that engine in the VX....I was doing 210KM/H, which is around 132mph, and still getting passed like nothing. I got passed by a Ford focus, (whatever its called here), I even got passed by an older Rav4!!!! Not sure what the hell was under its hood. I had a 1st gen rav4, and it would not go 140mph. It was awesome though.
There must have been a Jeep meet, saw a few cherokees, wranglers, a nice CJ5, I am sure those are big bucks over here.
Saw a sweet little 2 door SUV, it was called a Galloper, not sure the brand, the emblem was a camel. It was a turbo diesel intercooled 4wd. Nice short wheel base, looked like it would be awesome on the trails. Saw a decked out D90, canvas rear top. Also very cool.
Other than that, its all microcars out here. Gas is about 2.20/liter, so about 7.00 a gallon or so. the mercedes was getting about 40mpg at 112mph. Pretty good!!!! Couldn't even begin to afford to drive the VX around at those prices. It would cost me a fortune!
Well time to get back to work. I won't shed a tear if I never see another solar farm again.

Anita
05/17/2010, 11:18 PM
I remember having to drive an autobahn at night, in pouring rain and through an area I was unfamiliar with and trying to figure out what offramp to get off on. Going 120 mph was waaay on the slow side with all the other cars whizzing past me. I will never forgot the exhileration and terror of that ride. Life in the fast lane never was so fast.

lasturbo
05/18/2010, 12:49 AM
My 2006 Autobahn experience will be one I will never forget as I was fortunate to go on Porsche's tab to see all the factories and drive the rides. The autobahn experience began from the Cayenne/Carrera GT and future Panamera factory in Leipzig to Ludwigsburg (near Stuttgart). They gave me (or shall I say loaned me) a 2006 Carrera 4 "S" and got her up to 189 mph. WHAT A RUSH. I need to find the pics of my copilot taking pics of the speedo since I figured I will never do that again legally!! I have a vid of us in the car doing about 130 and I guy on a rice rocket blasting past us doing at least 150. Now that is crazy!!

Remember Ausfahrt Anita??

WormGod
05/18/2010, 06:52 AM
Funny thing that Ford Focus (RS500) in Europe.... it's no joke. We don't get it here cause they are afraid it will kill Mustang sales (and it would).

http://www.autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20100329/CARNEWS/100329878/Ford-Focus-RS500.jpg

RickOKC
05/18/2010, 09:13 AM
I am so envious of those incredible European diesels!

Here are a couple versions of the 1991 - 2003 Hyundai/Mitsubishi Galloper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Galloper):

http://members.cox.net/radamsokc/GalFront.jpg

http://members.cox.net/radamsokc/GalBack.jpg

vt_maverick
05/18/2010, 09:16 AM
Sadly a lot of these open stretches of limitless road are disappearing though. I flew into Frankfurt and drove to Ramstein two years ago, and there were speed limits signs all the way (not to mention many construction zones).

Marlin
05/18/2010, 12:36 PM
Sadly a lot of these open stretches of limitless road are disappearing though. I flew into Frankfurt and drove to Ramstein two years ago, and there were speed limits signs all the way (not to mention many construction zones).

Ahh, now that the interesting part. As explained to us at the rental agency, those signs are "recommended" speed limits. They are not enforced. So pedal to the metal!! (or plastic if you are in an econobox)

As for the galloper, thanks, that is exactly what I saw. It had the hood scoop for the intercooler, I would love to have one.

RickOKC
05/18/2010, 08:04 PM
THREADJACK!

I've always been curious about this: what is required to rent a car in Europe* when vacationing? I know they drive on the right or wrong side of the road and the signs are completely different. Do you have to take a test or something? Are you required to drive while holding a cell phone to your ear there, too?

Signed, Clueless.

* Actually, I'm interested in learning the answer for all locations.

rowhard
05/18/2010, 08:41 PM
THREADJACK!

I've always been curious about this: what is required to rent a car in Europe* when vacationing? I know they drive on the right or wrong side of the road and the signs are completely different. Do you have to take a test or something? Are you required to drive while holding a cell phone to your ear there, too?

Signed, Clueless.

* Actually, I'm interested in learning the answer for all locations.

Think you might be thinking of England (wrong side) but they were doing it first and if I remember, there are 53 other countries that still do it. Remember, the sun never set on the English empire,... awhile back. And don't call them Europeans, especially in a pub, kind of like calling a rebel a yankee

Chris, that galloper sure looks like the Dodge Raider from the late 80's. Think it was built by Mitsubishi. And try $8.49 a gal, 3.86 litre per US gal. And what the heck is a carrier nuke spark chaser doing in Germany??

RickOKC
05/18/2010, 09:25 PM
Nah, would never refer to the British as European - a transplanted buddy set me straight that one! (Gobbed in me eye and called me a wanker, she did. Whatever that means! ;)) Was just guessing and trying to be funny regarding the right or wrong or whatever side of the road they use on the autobahn. :)

Marlin
05/18/2010, 09:29 PM
Think you might be thinking of England (wrong side) but they were doing it first and if I remember, there are 53 other countries that still do it. Remember, the sun never set on the English empire,... awhile back. And don't call them Europeans, especially in a pub, kind of like calling a rebel a yankee

Chris, that galloper sure looks like the Dodge Raider from the late 80's. Think it was built by Mitsubishi. And try $8.4 for a gal, 3.86 litre per US gal. And what the heck is a carrier nuke spark chaser doing in Germany??

To get a car in germany, they have avis, thrifty, dollar, hertz, all the standard rental companies. You need a drivers license, a gold or platinum visa, or 1200EU for deposit. A passport, and away you go. Its expensive though. Our wagon is like 900usd for the week.
Not because it was a mercedes, our choice was Kia, Ford, or mercedes.

I am over here because my father owns a company that builds actuators and linear drive ball screws. Turns out the same ones that go in RVs for slideouts, are the same ones that were used for old satellite dishes, and now solar fields. A big solar farm here in Germany was having some problems, so we are here to solve their problems. So for me, vacation that I have to work during:(

rowhard
05/19/2010, 06:26 AM
So for me, vacation that I have to work during:(
Well, then have some fun, of course it can be more fun when it's on the Governments ticket

Marlin
05/19/2010, 06:53 AM
Well, then have some fun, of course it can be more fun when it's on the Governments ticket

I wish it was on govmnt dollar, but this is on my dad's dime. The weather is crap. 40s and raining. After coming from Charleston where it was 80s and sunny, I am freezing.