PDA

View Full Version : Wont shift out of park!

JHarris1385
05/17/2010, 04:43 PM
It shifts once out of Park, back to Park from D, R and all else fine.

The trouble is getting there. The button will not depress? I was stuck at a gas station for about 20 minutes, before that at another stop for about 10. This just started today, no other issues like this till today. I did look at the manual and it did not help. How I got out was about near the 350th attempt to click the button while trying to make small circles out of the shifter as much as I could but with caution.

Any advice?

phines
05/17/2010, 05:37 PM
I had this happen about 5 or 6 years ago and Dumke just had this happen at Moab last week. It was usuallly a combination of 2 things for me. First, the steering wheel wasn't locked. Try turning it until it locks, you might be good to go then. The other problem that causes this was the cable in the the shifter knob. I had to take mine apart and loosen a set screw (I think, it's been a while) and pull the cable up a little higher before re-tightening the set screw.

Sometimes I had to push the shifter into the park position while turning the steering wheel to get it to lock. It was very frustrating, so I feel your pain. I think making the adjustments in the shifter knob is what finally made it go away...
________
FERRARI 275 (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_275)

djvx
05/17/2010, 10:04 PM
my brother has been trying to fix this issue in his rodeo for 8 years....good luck

tom4bren
05/18/2010, 07:09 AM
Did you read this thread?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17994

Dumke
05/18/2010, 04:53 PM
Yes I did have this problem last week. Took whole center console apart and well a simple turn of my wheel and whola :o .Thanks again for your help Paul, and Billy :)

JHarris1385
05/18/2010, 08:21 PM
Ok the turning of the wheel thing is working so far.... Its not unlocking at the end of the turn but after the end once you start to turn it back. Weird, not sure why this started up.

Thanks for the advice!

JHarris1385
05/19/2010, 11:39 AM
Update....the turning of the wheel is now not working and I am stuck.

phines
05/19/2010, 11:44 AM
Push the shifter a little harder into the 'Park' direction while trying to lock the steering. Then try it.
________
Medical marijuana seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

JHarris1385
05/19/2010, 11:49 AM
Ok going out to try that now.... I am about a 10-15 minute walk from my car where I got stuck now.

MSHardeman
05/19/2010, 01:24 PM
Did you check out the switch under the brake pedal as discribed in the link above? If that switch is kaput then it won't allow the the gear shift to move out of Park. If the radio is off, I can actually hear the switch under my brake pedal click as it releases something in the gear lever area.

JHarris1385
05/19/2010, 01:51 PM
I dont recall ever being able to hear that, but I sure dont now.

I made it home after about 30 minutes of attempting to click. Nothing special that I noticed out of all my clicking made it work but it sure did. I have tried twice now and it works again.

I did look at the link above and so far everything seems fine there. But it has to be the solenoid not engaging. I would think.

samneil2000
05/19/2010, 02:13 PM
I can't remember if it will let you take the key out in neutral, but if it will, park in neutral with the parking brake on. That way you don't get stranded again. Then, when you have time to locate the cable for shift release and work on it, you can put it back in park.

SilverBullet75
05/19/2010, 08:27 PM
Did you read this thread?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17994

Hi,
If anyone's interested, I added a video to my original thread.
Hope it helps!
---JIM---

JHarris1385
05/19/2010, 10:11 PM
WOW that is exactly what I needed to see. This is my issue. I am doing this in the early am tomorrow. Thanks alot.

I had to ride my bike to work tonight as it would not click. I started my car and the shifter button worked so I kept it running to hopefully get back in and it still work, but that did not matter.

JHarris1385
05/20/2010, 12:54 PM
Alright brake light switch should be fine. My lights work even when the shifter does not.

UPDATE!

It works. My issue was a sticky solenoid. It would not full actuate, or if it did it would take its time and slowly do so. I cleaned it up as there have been some drinks and debris spilled in that area, then lubed it up with WD 40 and so far so good. I am going to keep the cover off for the next couple days to monitor it.

Thanks again for the advice and the video.

keepercoach
02/01/2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the help, video made it obvious. my problem was the brake light switch. it was intermittent for a month or so and finally gave up the ghost. Napa + $35 + 5 minutes = Drive.:happyface

Ldub
02/01/2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the help, video made it obvious. my problem was the brake light switch. it was intermittent for a month or so and finally gave up the ghost. Napa + $35 + 5 minutes = Drive.:happyface

That's what makes being a member here so worthwhile...:yesgray:

From all those that have gone before, & provided the info you seek...(& I'm bold enough to think I speak for everyone)...:smilewink

You, are very welcome...:yes:

SilverBullet75
02/02/2012, 06:05 AM
Glad the video helped!
:)