PDA

View Full Version : Driving around topless

Marlin
05/10/2010, 05:01 PM
Ha, made you look. That is what my son keeps saying about my VX, that its topless. I took the crossbars and basket off as an experiment. I admit it is taking some getting used to as far as visual affects, but it does make it look much meaner from the front. The great news is I went from around 11mpg to 12.8mpg!!! I only drive to work, 4.5 miles each way. It even rained and was in the upper 80s and I still got better mpg. That is a hude difference. So for those that daily drive with baskets, it might be worth looking at taking the basket off for normal day to day ops.

vt_maverick
05/10/2010, 05:56 PM
I've been meaning to post a thread along these exact same lines. When I upgraded from the stock rims and rubber to the wider and heavier Borbet/Yoko combo, I saw a huge dip in MPG (probably 2-3 MPG at least). Of course going back isn't an option because they just look that damn good ;) so I tried taking the roof rack and crossbars off instead. Low and behold I now get nearly the same mileage as I got before I added both the rim/tire combo AND the Kilby skid plates. So I decided to leave them off until I need to use them.

Been "topless" ever since. :D

etlsport
05/10/2010, 05:59 PM
yep i also noticed a huge difference by losing my rack

Mile High VX
05/10/2010, 06:02 PM
I noticed the same thing. Put up a storage system for my bars/rack. I can take it off as a unit and put it back on in the same way.

Get about 2 mpg better topless...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Marlin
05/11/2010, 03:59 AM
I noticed the same thing. Put up a storage system for my bars/rack. I can take it off as a unit and put it back on in the same way.

Get about 2 mpg better topless...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Your pics are what gave me the idea to try it out. 4 little bolts and the whole thing is off. Very simple.
Thanks for the inspiration.