PDA

View Full Version : Is this my power steering pump?

VX crazy
05/04/2010, 05:03 PM
This has been wet like this for months, and I cant figure out what it is......and before heading out on the open road thought I would ask you guys what it is and if I need to get it fixed before I leave? I just want to know what it is.....http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/CIMG1515.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17610)

VX crazy
05/04/2010, 05:39 PM
Could it be motor oil since that is the only thing that goes down some fluid wise? I wonder if when I had my timing belt done months ago they messed up a gasket or something???

pbkid
05/04/2010, 05:56 PM
could you maybe take a farther away picture??? so we can see where its located

VX crazy
05/04/2010, 06:26 PM
sorry Jack, the ground is in the way LOL....seriously if your looking down with the hood open its the bottom right pulley, whatever is attached to it, but I am really thinking its engine oil and going to have the shop that did timing belt see where its coming from hopefully tomorrow.

WILLY
05/04/2010, 06:39 PM
I recently had the same area soaked with engine oil after i added some oil and i overfilled by about a half quart(dumb *** me)i opened the fumato valve and drained till it was where its suppose to be on the dipstick and amazingly it quit,i dunno if its coincidence or the over filling caused it to leak,might check ur oil level.

VX crazy
05/04/2010, 07:16 PM
This is on the opposite side of the engine. I never overfill the oil.

Scott Larson
05/04/2010, 07:32 PM
Judging by where it's at, I'd say possibly AC compressor or maybe power-steering pump; just a guess mind you, but the fluid appears to be clear or at least clean, suggesting that it's NOT motor oil. Just a calculated guess...

pbkid
05/04/2010, 08:00 PM
lisa, bring it up to moab and we'll get you fixed right up in the stoop parking lot...

with that many VX minds in one place we can fix just about anything.

VX crazy
05/05/2010, 04:55 AM
Good point Scott, it is clean oil, and almost clear, I was thinking it was AC compressor a few months ago, but thought surely the AC would stop working and it hasnt....yet...

One of the many things we can discuss on the stoop!

yellowgizmo99
05/05/2010, 06:51 AM
did you check power steering fluid level for change?

VX crazy
05/05/2010, 08:07 AM
all my fluids are same level ..... so I am sticking with it being AC compressor......just getting antsy pants before the road trip

Ldub
05/05/2010, 08:08 AM
did you check power steering fluid level for change?

yes, & she found 23 cents...:laughing:

VXorado
05/06/2010, 08:06 PM
I had a power steering leak and it was in the exact same spot. My leak was actually much worse (drip spot while parked) and the fluid level would barely move. I would say its the power steering pump but AC leak is a possibility. GL

VX crazy
05/07/2010, 05:08 AM
I had a power steering leak and it was in the exact same spot. My leak was actually much worse (drip spot while parked) and the fluid level would barely move. I would say its the power steering pump but AC leak is a possibility. GL

wouldnt power steering leak tranny fluid? Its a clear fluid that is leaking.....but not dripping.....and again, all fluid levels like brake, powersteering etc are staying just the same. I added ac compressor oil with uv last night, NO STOP LEAK, and will clean under there tonight and hopefully when I get back from Utah can see where the UV is leaking the oil..

thanks everyone

VXorado
05/08/2010, 05:59 AM
Okay I missed you're post on it being clear colored, sounds like you're going in the right direction with the ac compressor. Mine was defintely leaking dexIII

hellomoto
05/08/2010, 05:37 PM
How do you check / fill the AC compressor? I've never checked mine

Solitude
05/09/2010, 08:39 AM
How do you check / fill the AC compressor? I've never checked mine
sorry for the thread jack... you take it to a place that has a way to evacuate the system and fill it with freon.. if its not working that is probably what is wrong.. unless you have leaks or other issues.

A/C is not really a do it yourself kinda thing with all the laws about freon collection (global warming). I have tried to fill it with the freon you buy off the shelf at local auto parts store.. didnt work because they are pressure sensitive.

good luck

jeff

Chopper
05/10/2010, 03:48 AM
the AC lube is neon green...almost like old fashioned antifreeze. It may appear clear on a painted metal background, but it's glow-in-the-dark green. When the front main seal goes in an A/C compressor, it'll often drip/leak for a short time, before the A/C goes hot...good luck, The compressor is pricey

hellomoto
05/10/2010, 05:21 AM
So how do you check / top up the oil om the the AC compressor? Anyone?

89Vette
05/19/2010, 08:26 AM
So how do you check / top up the oil om the the AC compressor? Anyone?

There is a guage (you have to buy) that looks similar to a tire guage. There should be a shrader-style valve on the compressor or in the high pressure line going to the compressor.

You have to figure out what the pressure is supposed to be when full then measure to see if you match that amount. If not, you could fill it, but it will continue to leak. If the leak pictured is really the oil mixed in with freon, that would be a healthy leak. As such, it would require siphoning all the freon into a tank, repairing the leak, vacuuming the system, and reloading the system with freon. That takes a lot of equipment.

Even if you fill it at home, you'd also need to buy a filler hose (in addition to the guage) and correctly hook it up to the system. Then, you'd have to keep refilling it until repaired. While left unrepaired freon leaks into the atmosphere.

Are you getting a sense of why this usually isn't a DIY project?

Edit: Unless the filler hose has a guage built-in. BTW: Freon and oil are mixed together (kind of like oil/gas in a 2-stroke motor). Ones there for refrigeration, the other for lubrication. But, I think the leak pictured would more likely be from power steering than A/C.