PDA

View Full Version : Signal Mirrors

rowhard
05/02/2010, 09:42 AM
I like to be safe when driving, and driving professionally has made me even more aware of the problems we encounter on our roads. We have all seen these flashing chevron turn signals in the outside mirrors that newer vehicles have. There is a company that offers a replacement mirror. (It would be a special order of course for the VX) So I contacted them to see how much? $269.00, to much for me. I mentioned that I belonged to a International group (as in us) and they do offer a group discount. Anyone interested? Maybe if 10 of us were to commit, would see how much then.

Seems like a fairly simple process to do if you have a few tools and don't might tearing into it

here is their web site to check it out. http://www.muthco.com/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=w

pbkid
05/02/2010, 11:36 AM
what about looking for ones designed for a rodeo or trooper? im sure someone makes something aftermarket for those for cheaper.

rowhard
05/02/2010, 12:15 PM
what about looking for ones designed for a rodeo or trooper? im sure someone makes something aftermarket for those for cheaper.

IF it is the same mirror and I don't know if it is the same shape/size, am sure there might be. This company might have it too. This price quote was for a special order Vehicross.

Solitude
05/02/2010, 01:10 PM
The rodeo is the same shape and size I think.. just no mirror heat..

pbkid
05/02/2010, 01:52 PM
troopers have the same mirror for sure... thats where people get the 'chrome' mirrors like "Vcamillo", off of troopers ;)

Scott Harness
05/02/2010, 03:09 PM
I like to be safe when driving, and driving professionally has made me even more aware of the problems we encounter on our roads.

It drives me "crazy" when people don't use their turn signals.
It is a communication device.Let me know what you're going to do!!:mady:

PK
05/02/2010, 07:38 PM
Just to prove your "international group" claim, I would be in for a pair of mirrors.

Not even worried about the heat feature - only gets cold enough to use it a couple of days a year.

Keep us posted, and thanks.

PK

vt_maverick
05/02/2010, 07:39 PM
Nevermind the LEDs, where can I get a plug 'n play JDM folding mirror? :D

PK
05/02/2010, 07:45 PM
Nevermind the LEDs, where can I get a plug 'n play JDM folding mirror? :D

Damn, forgot you poor cousins don't have that feature.:(:(

Cancel my order unless they also fold.
Always use that when I park in a carpark.:yesgray::yesy:

PK

Ldub
05/02/2010, 10:41 PM
has anyone tried something like this???

http://cgi.ebay.com/White-2X-7-LED-Turn-Signal-Arrow-Flash-Car-Mirror-Light-/180501134468?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a06b4bc84

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Side-Mirror-Arrows-LED-Light-28-smd-Turn-Signal-/270468956163?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ef934c003

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMBER-9-LED-SIDE-MIRROR-TURN-SIGNAL-ARROWS-/360002257480?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53d1ce8248

They're all over eBay if you search "turn signal mirror arrows"

Just throwin' it out there as a much more affordable alternatve...:smilewink

circmand
05/03/2010, 07:45 AM
I do not have scientific proof but it seems to me the more bells whistles lights etc we add the more we tend to ignore them. Remember the 70s and car alarms came out? They would alert everybody your car was being stolen. Now we here an alarm and evrybody is like I so hope tha car is being stolen. I do not see as adding more flashers would help as if you do not see the tail lights or the spoiler lights who is going to see little lights on the side mirrors. And to lose the functionality that is effective is a lose lose to me

pbkid
05/03/2010, 03:01 PM
I do not have scientific proof but it seems to me the more bells whistles lights etc we add the more we tend to ignore them. Remember the 70s and car alarms came out? They would alert everybody your car was being stolen. Now we here an alarm and evrybody is like I so hope tha car is being stolen. I do not see as adding more flashers would help as if you do not see the tail lights or the spoiler lights who is going to see little lights on the side mirrors. And to lose the functionality that is effective is a lose lose to me

mmm... see thats why you have to get creative...
the general car alarm tone... yes, thats just irritating.. but when it sounds like a semi is driving down your street, everyone looks :dance:

and i also disagree about adding more light... i know that if something really bright for example was shining my way before someone changed lanes, i would definately see what that person was doing and why there was a bright light shining my way.

etlsport
05/03/2010, 04:31 PM
agree'd PB kid! my alarm attracts a whole lot of attention, its an 18" air horn, sounds like a boat!

as for the turn signals on the mirrors, it makes a big difference on the VX because we dont have factory turn signals on the side of the vehicle.

MSHardeman
05/04/2010, 08:25 AM
We might not have factory turn signals on the side of the VX, but two of the very first mods I did to my VX were Tone and Moncha's side marker light to turn signal conversion.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=5

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=18

That was over four years ago and everything is still going strong. Don't know if it's helped any, but it sure couldn't hurt. Haven't side swiped anyone yet (knock on wood).

circmand
05/04/2010, 10:13 AM
mmm... see thats why you have to get creative...
the general car alarm tone... yes, thats just irritating.. but when it sounds like a semi is driving down your street, everyone looks :dance:

and i also disagree about adding more light... i know that if something really bright for example was shining my way before someone changed lanes, i would definately see what that person was doing and why there was a bright light shining my way.

Had a real loud alarm in acar he parked in front of my apartment where he could not here his own alarm going off every so often because of wind. He was pissed when the cops towed and he got ticketed for disturbing the peace. I think he paid $400 for the impound and tickets. That was almost worth losing the sleep he made me lose. But it was cheaper than 4 new tires.

pbkid
05/04/2010, 01:06 PM
Had a real loud alarm in acar he parked in front of my apartment where he could not here his own alarm going off every so often because of wind. He was pissed when the cops towed and he got ticketed for disturbing the peace. I think he paid $400 for the impound and tickets. That was almost worth losing the sleep he made me lose. But it was cheaper than 4 new tires.
oh, i would never park my car in front of someone else's house with my alarm going off...
much less leave my car somewhere that i couldnt hear the alarm.
sounds like irresponsibility on his part to me...

if i leave my car somewhere that i cant hear the alarm, theres no point in arming it. i just engage the fuel pump shut off switch, hard ignition shut off and lock the doors

circmand
05/04/2010, 01:28 PM
oh, i would never park my car in front of someone else's house with my alarm going off...
much less leave my car somewhere that i couldnt hear the alarm.
sounds like irresponsibility on his part to me...

if i leave my car somewhere that i cant hear the alarm, theres no point in arming it. i just engage the fuel pump shut off switch, hard ignition shut off and lock the doors

It was the last time he ever parked it front of my apartment again. We did end up saying hi to each other when we saw each other after that.

RickOKC
05/04/2010, 04:19 PM
It drives me "crazy" when people don't use their turn signals.
It is a communication device.Let me know what you're going to do!!:mady:
Yeah, what he said - and no "cheating!" Too many people don't start signaling until after the steering wheel is being turned. The point is to let others know that you're going to turn, not that you are turning.

rowhard
05/04/2010, 07:39 PM
Well, let me see if I can address everything here.

They responded back, yes there is one of the troopers that have the same mirror. Unfortunately, they have not produced a kit for it, so back to square one, 'special order'

PK, down under. This is just the mirror, not the whole assy so you can keep your folding mirror. They have a you tube video and it looks like a fairly simple process to remove the old mirror glass. And you can have either heated or non heated which is 50 dollars (US) less.

Still to much for me. So I am closing this subject

From their email to me

"We are the inventor of Signal Mirror® technology and an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) for the same. The kit you would get would benefit from the same quality glass and electronic technology as the OEM parts. We don't use a lesser quality design for our aftermarket products which is why we back the kit with a 3 year limited warranty. You can see more about our technology and the safety benefits here (http://www.muthco.com/signal-mirror-technology/)."

Riff Raff
05/04/2010, 09:50 PM
ROWHARD--- As a cheaper alternative, you might take a peek at some of the eBay links provided by L-Bud in post #10 of this thread. They are even available in different colors to match your exterior body paint. Just a thought.:bgwb:

RallyDude
05/04/2010, 10:29 PM
just wait. There's no way they are going to sell many of those things at that price. There can't be too much to it; I gotta think that price will either drop significantly, or the product will disappear.

wekilled
05/13/2010, 10:47 PM
Still just trying to find a passenger mirror that I snapped off at the hinge....Rowhard says that no other model of Isuzu fits the VX mirrors. Anyone know of the best supplier of used parts that might have a mirror? Maybe St.Charles? I was going to get the one off eBay a few weeks ago, but had to change my Paypal after our bank account was hacked so that was a miss.

rowhard
05/15/2010, 10:03 AM
Rowhard says that no other model of Isuzu fits the VX mirrors.

? I said that - not

I did say, 'IF it is the same mirror and I don't know if it is the same shape/size'

RallyDude
05/15/2010, 11:06 AM
I'm haven't looked into this myself, but I have read here that Troopers mirrors fit, couldn't tell you what years, but some members have swapped them out for chrome ones that came on the Troopers. I can't tell you whether all Troopers were chrome or if that was a special package. Don't know about the Rodeos. I'd try a few searches first, and if you can't find it, start a new thread in parts wanted, so it won't be buried as a thread jack. You'll find one.

hyperkid
08/17/2010, 12:51 AM
I'm with Maverick - where can we get some JDM folding mirrors? There have to be some replacements out there somewhere.