PDA

View Full Version : leather conditioning products

VX KAT
05/02/2010, 08:20 AM
Some observations on leather conditioning products.

Bought several of the "ICE" line from Turtle Wax. Tried the "wax" and liked it, as it's super easy to apply & remove, with zero residue of any kind.

SO...got out the ICE "Total Interior Care":

ICE® Total Interior Care is a complete, easy to use multi-surface cleaner that can be used on all interior surfaces, eliminating the need for multiple products. It conditions, protects, repels and freshens interior surfaces including plastic, vinyl, leather and glass.

Product Benefits
Lotion provides precision control to small tight areas of the interior dash.
Removes unpleasant odors and keeps them from reoccurring, leaving a fresh scent.
U.V. absorbers help prevent fading, drying and cracking of interior plastics.
Includes a micro-fiber cleaning cloth.

Did the seats exactly as instructed, including buffing. It's like nothing at all, nadda, zip, zero, goose egg! :_wtf:
It left the leather dull, dry, no more supple or moisturized than before I applied it! :_wtf:
Only positive is that it smells great, but scent didn't even last until next day.

Got out the traditional Lexol and some "Meguiar's Gold Class™ Rich Leather Spray." Did one seat split down the middle so I could compare the two. Totally different outcome, both were rich in emollients and left it moisturized, rich and supple, with a pretty good satin shine. Didn't have much Lexol remaining so did them again next day with the Meguiar's, looks fantastic and stays that way.

We live in a really dry climate, my leather really needs moisturized on a regular basis (and pitifully, I haven't done it since I bought my VX-my bad!) I suspect the ICE left it dull, dried out looking because it says it's a multi-surface "cleaner" and must have some cleaning agents in it.

I did the entire remaining part of interior in 303 about 2 weeks ago, with great results, and has remained looking great.

Bottom line- Skip the ICE interior stuff, stick with Lexol or Mequiar's. :thumbup:

Mile High VX
05/02/2010, 08:26 AM
I use the Meguiars Gold Class and love it...great product.

vt_maverick
05/02/2010, 08:33 AM
Ditto on Meguiar's, I've been using their Gold Class Leather Wipes on a variety of vehicles for the past 7 years with consistent results.

Scott Harness
05/02/2010, 02:27 PM
I was a cobbler in a previous life time. We used Lexol with great success!:supercool

Scott Larson
05/02/2010, 06:49 PM
Yes Kat, Meguiar's is definitely the "schizzney", Mothers Reflections is the bomb also!

Anita
05/02/2010, 07:57 PM
At another site I frequent, owners there talk about Eagle Nano products. Anyone here know about them?

Riff Raff
05/02/2010, 08:10 PM
Another great source for professional car care products is www.GriotsGarage.com . I personally haven't tried any of their products yet, but their reputation is outstanding from other people's reviews. If you're into car-care/detailing, then this is an excellent website worth checking out.:bgwb:

circmand
05/03/2010, 07:47 AM
I use the Mequires but the guy who repaired and redyed my driver seat said a gentle shampoo is really good to use and cheap

TheGanzman
05/03/2010, 09:15 AM
Connelly's Hide Food - It's what they use to recondition Rolls Royce leather at the factory - 'nuff said! Been using it for years; you can find it on-line, or in fine luggage shops...

lasturbo
05/04/2010, 12:00 AM
Connelly's Hide Food - It's what they use to recondition Rolls Royce leather at the factory - 'nuff said! Been using it for years; you can find it on-line, or in fine luggage shops...

....and Land Rover Dealers carry it as well.

Daly
05/05/2010, 12:04 PM
Is the armrest leather or vinyl?
Need to recondition and couldn't tell.

etlsport
05/05/2010, 12:49 PM
its vinyl

tom4bren
05/06/2010, 08:04 AM
The leather products work quite well on vinyl. The opposite is NOT true. Vinyl products should not be used on leather.

BTW, I used Meguiar's Gold Class the other day. The stuff works well but the sprayer sux (keeps clogging). It was so bad that I ended up just pouring it from the bottle onto a rag & wiping it on.

vt_maverick
05/06/2010, 08:52 AM
The leather products work quite well on vinyl. The opposite is NOT true. Vinyl products should not be used on leather.

BTW, I used Meguiar's Gold Class the other day. The stuff works well but the sprayer sux (keeps clogging). It was so bad that I ended up just pouring it from the bottle onto a rag & wiping it on.

Go for the wipes next time. Lesser value than the spray bottle, but MUCH easier to use.

RickOKC
07/21/2011, 09:17 PM
Blast from the past!

Hey KAT, are you still happy with the Mequiar's Gold Class leather treatment?

I finally replaced my beat-to-crap front seats with a pair in much better condition. This is my first vehicle with leather seats (how did that happen?), so I want to learn how to take care of them properly.

How often do you treats your seats?
(Lots of 100-105 degree summers; 20-0 degree winters around here)

Does anyone have advice on whether or not I should give my "new" seats a few treatments in a row? No telling how long they were sitting ignored at the salvage yard before I bought them.

While these seats look SO MUCH BETTER, there are still issues. One has a few small spots that look like paint splatter and there is something that looks like chewing gum in another place. Any recommendations for removal that would not harm the surface or dye? (I tried using a finger nail and the top surface of the leather said, "STOP NOW!") I expect I'd have to take them to a pro, but if there is a professional here, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

VX KAT
07/21/2011, 10:10 PM
Blast from the past!

Hey KAT, are you still happy with the Mequiar's Gold Class leather treatment?

I finally replaced my beat-to-crap front seats with a pair in much better condition. This is my first vehicle with leather seats (how did that happen?), so I want to learn how to take care of them properly.

How often do you treats your seats?
(Lots of 100-105 degree summers; 20-0 degree winters around here)

Does anyone have advice on whether or not I should give my "new" seats a few treatments in a row? No telling how long they were sitting ignored at the salvage yard before I bought them.

While these seats look SO MUCH BETTER, there are still issues. One has a few small spots that look like paint splatter and there is something that looks like chewing gum in another place. Any recommendations for removal that would not harm the surface or dye? (I tried using a finger nail and the top surface of the leather said, "STOP NOW!") I expect I'd have to take them to a pro, but if there is a professional here, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Great to hear you got some seats, know you've been wanting some since you got it, what a year ago? :thumbup:

I like the Mequiar's, it definitely soaks in, I like it cuz it's a spray. I spray it on and leave it for a minute or so. Wipe it and it sucks it right up, but does give a bit of a shine, so you know it's done something there. And it has a pleasant smell...I'm SUPER sensitive to smells, and this one passes my sniffer test. It doesn't linger long. And the "shine" also tones down pretty quickly, maybe a day.

I was always told LEXOL was the best leather care stuff...but I haven't ever seen that tested or validated. Funny, I STILL have 2 bottles of it in my cabinet from like 20 yrs ago...(one cleaner, one conditioner)...um, don't think I'd use it now. :laugho:

Since "like dissolves like" pretty much, maybe leaving one of the leather care products on those paint spatter spots, may allow them to lift off?? Maybe even the chewing gum....but not sure...don't they say peanut butter gets gum out of hair? (At least where I grew up they said that :laugho:) Wonder if Goo-Gone would soak in and get that gum off? It's oily so it probably wouldn't be all that bad for the leather, especially in a small spot. (hmmm, wonder if that oily stuff would make it darker there??)

I did a little googling....found this info:

http://www.autogeek.net/leather-car-care.html - even has a video.

Thought this was interesting:

WARNING! Often inexpensive brands of leather conditioners contain gloss agents and petroleum distillates, silicone or silicone oils, which cling to the surface and then are wiped onto clothing. They leave a greasy finish that can transfer to clothing. For the health of your leather, choose a water-based, pH-balanced leather conditioner.

Many popular conditioners, like Lexol Spray Leather Conditioner and the product recommended especially for the Bentley, Jaguar and Rolls lines, Connolly Hide Care Conditioner <- what Ganz said above, are pH balanced, have stain repellants, and waterproofing agents to protect your beautiful interior from accidents. The Wolfgang Leather Care Cockpit Kit contains all the tools you?*ll need, AND Wolfgang's leather products are pH balanced. If you only want the best for both leather and vinyl, there is simply no better comprehensive choice for îstate of the artî cleaners, conditioners and applicators than our specially packaged, Pinnacle Concours Interior Kit.

Leather Maintenance - A Step-by-Step Guide

The most common mistake people make when taking care of leather is using too much conditioner. Leather comes with surfactants (protection) from the tannery. BMW leathers are all very well protected when new. If you apply too much leather chemicals and/or too often, you will strip off the protection the tannery applied. Your leather will begin to crack and wear prematurely. The best analogy for this is like the enamel on your teeth. Once the enamel is gone, your teeth have no defense. The best thing you can do for leather, to keep it soft, supple and preserve the matte-finish, is to wipe it down with a damp cloth whenever you think to. Wiping the leather with a damp cloth will pick up any loose dirt particles on the surface. Loose dirt, between you on the seat and the leather, will begin to work it's way into the surface of the leather. This action will begin to buff or polish the leather, making it shiny and the leather will begin to become thinner.

I see AutoGeek.net sells a Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather ALOE Combo. "Nourishes it with aloe".
I also see they recommend Lexol....so maybe it is good stuff, been around a long time.
http://www.autogeek.net/megoclrileal.html
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2166_487851802

I also see "ZYMOL leatherTreat"...fantastic reviews....has coconut oil and beef collagen (OK, ick, I didn't need to know that!) .....and smells like banana/coconut which is fantastic (just like the wax product), then I'm going be a sucker for this one....good thing it shows such good reviews. Interesting, many of the 16 reviews at AutoAnything were users from Texas...i.e. there's your 100 degree criterion Rick!
http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A1534A0A0.aspx
http://cdn.autoanything.com/images/products/large/car_care_products/zymol_treat_041305.jpg

I recall "RabidPony" said he used to be a professional detailer....maybe he'd have some tips on the leather care.

RickOKC
07/21/2011, 10:43 PM
Heck yeah, I've been keeping an eye out for replacement seats during the full year I've had my VX and finally got 'em! I need to visit the "What have you done to your VX this week?" thread to add that and other items. :)

Thank you for all the information. I was happy to hear Meguiar's is still on your list - I've had such good results from their products. Always glad to hear first hand experiences about companies from people I trust!

MSHardeman
07/22/2011, 07:56 AM
I don't know if all leather treatments call for this, but I have had good luck letting the seats heat up a bit (park in the sun or put a light shining on them) to help open the pores of the leather up. That way when you put your leather treatment on, the leather really soaks it up.

VX KAT
07/22/2011, 09:02 AM
I don't know if all leather treatments call for this, but I have had good luck letting the seats heat up a bit (park in the sun or put a light shining on them) to help open the pores of the leather up. That way when you put your leather treatment on, the leather really soaks it up.

I'd never heard of that until yesterday when reading various leather care sites....it's recommended to do exactly that....let it sit in sun for 15 mins or use a hairdryer to heat up the leather. Zymol and Spinneybeck recommended it, but Connolly doesn't mention it. Couldn't find any reference from Mequiar's either.

Warm the leather upholstery and trim using a household hair dryer or by leaving it exposed to the sun for 10 - 15 minutes.

Apply zymol Treat evenly with a dry zymol terrycloth Applicator or Pre-Wax Applicator in small, even amounts, wiping in one direction only.
Let it stand for 10 Minutes.
Buff gently with a zymol Towel to a dry satin shine. Treat can be reapplied to severely worn leather upholstery and trim without fear of over-treatment.

http://www.leatherz.com/leathercare2.htm

AND, just for S&G ya gotta check out Zymol's site.....:freek:....go through ALL 7 PAGES OF paint Products....OMG :eek:.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
http://www.zymol.com/paint-3.aspx

Keep a defibrillator close by......

Daly
07/22/2011, 12:04 PM
I was in the automotive industry for a short period of time. During that time a detailer would come by the dealership. He was an older gent extremely knowledgeable. Could make anything old look new.
Only thing he ever recommended to use on real lether interiors was mink oil.
I have been using it for years on british and german sports cars. The leather loves it, soaks it in. You do need to buff it or it will feel sticky, but it lasts and nothing works better.

RickOKC
07/22/2011, 05:07 PM
Heat the seats... ah ha, maybe that explains it!

I'd moved the seats into the house so I could be cool and comfy as I spent lots of time time cleaning them (they were grimy.) The last thing I did was apply a conditioner my neighbor gave me, but the next morning the leather looked dry. Maybe it would work better now that the seats haven't seen anything cooler than 95 degrees. (I'm surprised they don't smell like hamburger cooking when I open the door after work! :eekgray: )

AND, just for S&G ya gotta check out Zymol's site.....:freek:....go through ALL 7 PAGES OF paint Products....OMG :eek:.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
http://www.zymol.com/paint-3.aspx

Keep a defibrillator close by......"CLEAR!" as they say on TV. (According to my sister the RN who works at a hospital in East Nowhere, OK, their surgeons calmly say, "Ok, ya'll stand back now. I'm gonna shock 'em now." :laughing:)
Those prices remind me of stuff on the Zaino website. :freek:

I was in the automotive industry for a short period of time. During that time a detailer would come by the dealership. He was an older gent extremely knowledgeable. Could make anything old look new.
Only thing he ever recommended to use on real lether interiors was mink oil.
I have been using it for years on british and german sports cars. The leather loves it, soaks it in. You do need to buff it or it will feel sticky, but it lasts and nothing works better.Thank you! I'll keep an eye out for that. The stuff my neighbor gave me is Eagle One and it has mink oil, lanolin & neatsfoot oil - but, to what percentages of each, I dunno. :_confused

BeeVenom
07/23/2011, 07:04 AM
Have always used ZYMOL cleaner and conditioner on my cars/trucks and have loved it, but a buddy talked me into trying some of the ICE crap...and was it a HUGE disappointment. I did try it on a small area in my other car before i'd even consider trying it on 'BeeVenom'. NO WAY would i use it again! Probably need to stick with what I've used for over 20 years as I know the great results! ZYMOL all the way!

VX KAT
07/23/2011, 09:25 AM
I noticed there's 2 different Zymol leather conditioners...
one (Z509) for around $9
the other(301) around $31.....both 8 oz., descriptions sound really similar :_thinking
Only the second one is listed on their website.

Anybody know what the difference is? (besides color and shape of bottle :laugho:) ? Maybe the first is d/c'd and the 2nd is the successor??
http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Leather-Conditioner/dp/B0002JN51K
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TGG37M5RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-301-Leather-Conditioner-Ounces/dp/B000FCR3UI/ref=pd_sbs_auto_5
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11ZgoCVFffL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Etfren
07/23/2011, 12:58 PM
I used Meguair's Gold Class on the seats I sold to pnwdawg and took some before and after pics 'cause I had planned to make a thread but forgot. Here is what I got.

Side by side, passenger seat on the left hasn't been done, driver seat on the right has.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Etfren/Cars/IMGP4739.jpg

Passenger seat before:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Etfren/Cars/IMGP4738.jpg

Passenger seat after:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Etfren/Cars/IMGP4742.jpg

I used their gel stuff with a foam applicator pad, it is very easy to apply, then buff with a regular terry towel.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Etfren/Cars/IMGP4740.jpg

VX KAT
07/23/2011, 03:39 PM
Looks great "after"....I guess most of these brands with the various oils work well....EXCEPT ICE!..terrible stuff!...which is synthetic anyway.

My PO must have had a big dog, and traveled with it a lot....cuz my pass seat has many whitish scratches all going front to back, driver's side has some too. Boy those gray/black ones on ebay look pretty darn nice.....must resist.....would end up probably around $600 after shipping both of them....:(

hmmm, never realized "Ironman Triathlon" was only embossed on the driver's seat....:_thinking

Etfren
07/24/2011, 12:59 AM
Yes, pnwdawg pointed that out since he wanted them specifiaclly because he is trying to turn his Ebony into an Ironman clone and was dissapointed to find that out. I wasn't aware of it and couldn't find any specific mention if they both were supposed to or not, but only the drivers side did on my set. Anyone else with an Ironman care to chime in?

johnnyapollo
07/24/2011, 07:15 AM
In a pinch I use the Lexol products, but actually the best I've found (and I need to order more) is by Zaino Bros - "Z-10 Leather in a Bottle". It conditions and leaves your seats smelling like fresh leather the longest (it also hides and small cracks, etc). I know a lot of classic car enthusiasts and they all use Zaino Bros products (for interior and exterior).

Leather Conditioner:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-10&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=15

-- John

VX KAT
07/24/2011, 08:54 AM
In a pinch I use the Lexol products, but actually the best I've found (and I need to order more) is by Zaino Bros - "Z-10 Leather in a Bottle". It conditions and leaves your seats smelling like fresh leather the longest (it also hides and small cracks, etc). I know a lot of classic car enthusiasts and they all use Zaino Bros products (for interior and exterior).

Leather Conditioner:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-10&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=15

-- John
Always heard great things about Zaino products....and that conditioner is 1/3 the price of the Zymol product for the same size. :freek:... when does that EVER happen!
I'm hoping some of my dog claw scratches can be improved/hidden. Think it does it by "swelling" the leather with the oils, or just darkening the whitish color of them?