PDA

View Full Version : Lower Gear ratio better mpg?

l.groves
04/24/2010, 03:25 PM
OK. Thats it! I'm getting a new ring and pinion set. Yes I know I will need two sets but mine is only 2wd unless put into 4wd manually. I get 15-17 mpg city. I'm thinking down to 3.20's any suggestions?

Triathlete
04/24/2010, 03:35 PM
First off you will find that there are only a couple options when it comes to R&P's for the VX. Secondly these gear sets are very rare and hard to find. Unless you are running a different size tire I doubt if you will see a significant change in MPG.
You say you are only 2 wheel drive? Have you disconected the TOD? Removed your front drive shaft? Manual front hubs? If none of this has been, then you are not 2 wheel drive (unless you have an imported JDM model). When not in 4lo the TOD splits torque between rear and front as needed when wheel slippage is sensed.

PK
04/24/2010, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the forum.
That is an interesting first post there my friend.

Couple of points -
First up - 15 - 17 MPG city is damn good for one of these.
You don't mention what size tyres you run, or what you use the VX for, but if you are going higher gearing, then I guess you don't offroad, and you run standard tyres??

Second - if you only change one diff, don't ever put it in 4wd, because you will break something.

As for ratios, sorry but I don't know of any higher gear sets for our diffs. Others might, and I am sure they will chime in.

You could try searching the forum for "diff ratios" etc.

Regards

PK

l.groves
04/24/2010, 04:28 PM
I drive on 255/55 18's. I dont know exactly why I drive in 2wd only since it was that way when purchased. I jumped the check wires a while back and it indicated a problem with a control switch or unit or something under the tranny lever in the middle. I tested it in the dirt and sure enough that is exactly how it works. 2wd in 4H and 2 rear wheels lit up on the TOD display. 4LOW and I get 4LOW with all four wheels lit up on the TOD display. I've been driving it this way for a year or two and seems to have had no problems other than that dang blinking light. So I refinanced the house and now I can do some other things like put a turbo kit on my MR2 and try some new gears for the VX. I checked some sites and found that the ring/pinion is a 8.5 10 bolt as used on some other Jeep models and GM models. Man you guys ask alot of questions.

Triathlete
04/24/2010, 05:44 PM
You actually have a 12 bolt on the rear, 10 bolt on the front.

PK
04/24/2010, 05:44 PM
I drive on 255/55 18's. I dont know exactly why I drive in 2wd only since it was that way when purchased. I jumped the check wires a while back and it indicated a problem with a control switch or unit or something under the tranny lever in the middle. I tested it in the dirt and sure enough that is exactly how it works. 2wd in 4H and 2 rear wheels lit up on the TOD display. 4LOW and I get 4LOW with all four wheels lit up on the TOD display. I've been driving it this way for a year or two and seems to have had no problems other than that dang blinking light. So I refinanced the house and now I can do some other things like put a turbo kit on my MR2 and try some new gears for the VX. I checked some sites and found that the ring/pinion is a 8.5 10 bolt as used on some other Jeep models and GM models. Man you guys ask alot of questions.

Don't worry about the questions.
Remember, on this site you are a newbie, and we have no idea of your mechanical expertise, driving habits, long term goals etc.
So when you ask for our advice, we need to ask questions so that the advice we give you is accurate and relevant.

For instance, we now know you are driving on one of the smallest diameters tyres that could be fitted to the VX, and possibly the easiest, cheapest options for you would be to buy larger tyres. Especially if your tyres are getting worn anyway.
Your tyres are about 29" diameter.
Most of the people here run 31 - 35" dia.
Is this a feasible solution??

FWIW anything over about 32" you have to do a little bit of trimming to the front wheel wells.

Anyways, sounds like you know what you are doing.

PK

Ascinder
04/24/2010, 06:57 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but I think what you are referring to is the GM "corp" 10 bolt. It is not the same as the isuzu Corp 10 bolt. They aren't interchangeable. Also, our 10 bolt is up front, so you'd be trying to hook up 4wd in that case to save gas mileage..... As Triathlete posted, our rear is a 12 bolt isuzu. You really won't save a ton of money(mileage) going to lower gears, unless you have either excess torque or horsepower either. If you could get used to the VX driving like an anemic shadow of itself, I'd say go for it, but you'd be pulling it out of the powerband it was designed for. To get the same speed using higher gearing, you'd be lugging the engine. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that we don't know your specifics, so maybe you've already thought all this out, so if I were you, I'd see what gears were made for ISUZU Corp 10 and 12 bolts and then take a look at both the pros and cons before I went and did it. It was also mentioned that we don't know your degree of mechanical skill, but I'll just throw out there that setting up a ring and pinion isn't done with a set of wrenches and a lazy Sunday afternoon. Shops charge a decent amount of coin to set them up because they require some special equipment. As I said, you may already know all this, but then agian, maybe you don't. Just throwing in my two cents.

Riff Raff
04/24/2010, 07:21 PM
Thanx PK, you're right on target. The main problem is the tires-- you're running 255/55R18 (29" O.D.) which are smaller in diameter than the OEM tire of 245/60R18 (29.5" O.D.). Thus, your current smaller diameter tires are rotating 1.8% more than OEM causing your VX to consume more fuel (less MPG) for the same distance traveled.

Instead of changing the differential ratios, a better solution for more Highway MPG is to go to a tire that meets three(3) criteria:

1. Must be "tall" in O.D. between 32" -- 35" O.D. to act like a transmission Overdrive thereby reducing engine RPM's (saving fuel) for the same given forward speed of travel.
2. Must be "narrow" in width to create less drag/rolling resistance. The skinnier, the better.
3. Must be "lightweight" to reduce unsprung weight and use less fuel from standing start/launch.

Here are some optional tire sizes that meet the above criteria (tall, narrow, lightweight):

P255/70R18 (32.1" O.D./35 lbs) - bolt-on perfect with OEM rims.
P265/70R18 (32.6" O.D./44 lbs) - slight trimming required.
P275/70R18 (33.0" O.D./46 lbs) - more trimming required. (recommended tire: BFG - Rugged Trail)

To minimize fitment problems, utilize your stock OEM 18x7 rims for the above listed tires. Use only "P"-series tires (aka Passenger/P-Metric) which are lighter in overall weight, and stay away from heavy "LT"-series (Light-Truck) tires.

For the absolute extreme gas saving tire, you could use:
35/10.0-15 (35" O.D./48 lbs) - lifting required. (recommended tire: MickeyThompson - Baja Pro, which is a Sand-Rail tire and not DOT approved for the street. Use 15" super lightweight CenterLine brand wheels to keep weight to a minimum)

Focus on changing to a taller O.D. of your tires, not the gearing in your differentials. Then drive your VX like you are hauling very fragile eggs; be featherlight on the gas pedal, and let off the gas pedal early before coming to a stop. You'll be amazed at how much your MPG will improve.:bgwb:

Triathlete
04/24/2010, 10:23 PM
(recommended tire: BFG - Rugged Trail)

Everyone I know that has bought these tires has complained about how quickly they wear. Just a FYI.

VX KAT
04/25/2010, 12:01 AM
We all know this vehicle isn't cheap on fuel. Is it just me, or are others surprised how some are willing to invest serious coin to modify something or buy a different vehicle to get a few more MPGs...have you ever calculated the break even point on that cost?

Let's assume you do some modification that costs $1,000,and it increases MPG from 16 to 20 MPG....a full 25% increase, which is doubtful.
16MPG x 22.5 gallons = 360 miles per tankful
20MPG x 22.5 gallons = 450 miles per tankful
If fuel is $2.95/gallon, you gain 90 extra miles per full tank
90 miles ÷ 20MPG = 4.5 gallons to travel that far
$2.95/gallon x 4.5 gallons = $13.27 saved on a full tank
Another way of looking at it is you save .029/mile.....

$1,000 ÷$13.27 = 75.35 tankfuls....for most, filling up every 2 weeks, that would take 3-4 yrs to just break even.....and only then would you begin saving any money :_thinking

Maybe for tracking MPG, you might look into registering at fuelly.com. It's kinda fun. Here's my VX:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vxkat/vehicross

Ldub
04/25/2010, 12:32 AM
OK. Thats it! I'm getting a new ring and pinion set. Yes I know I will need two sets but mine is only 2wd unless put into 4wd manually. I get 15-17 mpg city. I'm thinking down to 3.20's any suggestions?

Thanx PK, you're right on target. The main problem is the tires-- you're running 255/55R18 (29" O.D.) which are smaller in diameter than the OEM tire of 245/60R18 (29.5" O.D.). Thus, your current smaller diameter tires are rotating 1.8% more than OEM causing your VX to consume more fuel (less MPG) for the same distance traveled.

AND...:smilewink

Unless you're already factoring in 1.8 - 2% less miles on the number of miles driven per tank, you're not getting 15-17 mpg...:confusedw

Riff Raff
04/25/2010, 03:49 AM
Everyone I know that has bought these tires has complained about how quickly they wear. Just a FYI.

Billy--- The BFG - Rugged Trail only has 10/32nds tread depth when they're brand new off the shelf. So compared to say a General - Grabber AT2 which has 17/32nds brand new-- then yes, the BFG - Rugged Trail will have a short life right from the start.

What makes the BFG - Rugged Trail so unique is it's the ONLY "P"-series tire made in size 275/70R18 with a tall O.D. of 33" and only weighs a featherlight 46 lbs each. Take a peek at TireRack.com for all tires made in 275/70R18 (33" O.D.) and you'll quickly discover that all of the rest are much heavier "LT"-series tires easily weighing 10 lbs more in the ballpark of 56 lbs each.

Remember; for best MPG we want tall O.D., narrow width, and super lightweight all combined in one tire. Class dismissed.:bgwb:

Scott Harness
04/25/2010, 05:57 AM
Nice thread-info...have you guys drank too much coffee?:p

l.groves
04/25/2010, 06:14 AM
Finally a non bash the new guy information. Thanks Riff Raff I apreciate your knowledge. I must say I am still a little stooped on the 12 bolt rear gears. Non of the listings I found mentioned this and I am now having a very hard time finding any fitment for 12 bolt. My tires are pretty new and in great shape so tire change to me would not be beneficial in the long run since I will still end up with the same stock specs. I want to overcome the norm and work towards the modified so that when I do get new tires I will see even more benefit. I'm sure the torque of the 3.5 will not let me down with the change in ratio to reek the benefits of say driving a car instead using the granny gear ratio's this thing was made for. I don't creap up rocks or climb hills. My original purchase concerns were for pulling jet ski's in comfort and style. Which the VX does extremely well. I fell in love with the model when it was released and always dreamed of owning one. Now I just want to modify to my liking. This is something I have always done to whatever I have owned. One thing I've noticed is there is alot of couch potato's out there that think too much instead of getting off their keester and taking action to find a real outcome, since there are generally too many variables to fathum an end result. Ok enough of the deep thoughts by Randy. I need a beer to come back to reality.

Ldub
04/25/2010, 06:27 AM
I don't think anyone has "bashed the new guy"...yet.

You may not like the info you've been given, but there are a lot of us "couch potatos that think too much" that happen to know a thing or two about these vehicles...and the Isuzu corp 10 & 12 bolt front & rear axles they came with.

Getting your panties in a wad & alienating those who have tried to splain what's what to you, is not what I'd call conducive to receiving further help...:smilewink

l.groves
04/25/2010, 07:05 AM
Actually it feels more like getting a wedgy. Like if you want to EXplain yourself you should actually spell it right. After reading that you should understand what I mean. People look for researched information. Not "you idiot you don't spell explain -splain". Its e-x-p-l-a-i-n... Of course you don't put in a new ring and pinion without setting the backlash. Of course you don't drive in 4wheel drive if the ratio's are different. So Ldud go back and correct your spelling and give some information that counts. Hey, If you want to feel like the smart guy prove it don't state the obvious. Then praise almighty Ldud is a genious. All hale Ldud!!! Oh yea did you go back and correct your spelling yet.

Anyways, enough caffeine venting. I found out the the rear size ring gear is 220mm (8.66"). I did find a kit that changes Isuzu to a DANA 44 which would give more options on ratio's. Only It may only be for smaller gear sets. I'll have to call and find out for sure.

Scott Harness
04/25/2010, 07:50 AM
Actually it feels more like getting a wedgy. Like if you want to EXplain yourself you should actually spell it right. After reading that you should understand what I mean. People look for researched information. Not "you idiot you don't spell explain -splain". Its e-x-p-l-a-i-n... Of course you don't put in a new ring and pinion without setting the backlash. Of course you don't drive in 4wheel drive if the ratio's are different. So Ldud go back and correct your spelling and give some information that counts. Hey, If you want to feel like the smart guy prove it don't state the obvious. Then praise almighty Ldud is a genious. All hale

Ldud!!! Oh yea did you go back and correct your spelling yet.

Anyways, enough caffeine venting. I found out the the rear size ring gear is 220mm (8.66"). I did find a kit that changes Isuzu to a DANA 44 which would give more options on ratio's. Only It may only be for smaller gear sets. I'll have to call and find out for sure.
Dude! Let me splain somin to you. You are drownding yourself and not making any friends...ps you spelt genius incorrrectly

Ascinder
04/25/2010, 08:18 AM
Look, I'm going to lay this out for you pretty clearly. We are all a bunch of layed back, nice, friendly, mature people over here. And I'm not saying you're not, but if I were you, I'd take a look at Ldubs previous posts and know full well that if he misspells something, it's (usually;)) on purpose to illustrate emphasis or satire in the situation. I'd also take a step back and a deep breath and examine this thread for yourself again. No one is trying to get hostile with you, so take the good advice with a grain of salt and if you don't like it, ignore it. There's a lot of good information on this site and everyone here is happy to give it out freely, provided it is asked for and recieved in a reasonable and kind manner. Respect is gotten when it's given. We aren't like a lot of other forums that have giant flame threads. It's not how we do business over here. We are a family oriented and tight knit group that in my own opinion get along very well together because of that mutual respect I mentioned. All I'm saying is you may want to rethink your methods in future posts. I think if you give this forum a chance and don't come in on the offensive, then you'll find it a great place and a wealth of information and friendship.

ScottinMA
04/25/2010, 08:23 AM
What an introduction...makes ya wonder what is going to happen next : )

Ldub
04/25/2010, 08:51 AM
Guess you showed me randy...:yesgray:

May I suggest you make good friends with the search function, cuz till ya drop the tude, you'll find VERY few around here who are willing to help.

BigMeatVX
04/25/2010, 10:59 AM
Is this guy for real? LOL

Get out your. 4" angle grinder and you could fit Dana 60 ring and pinion to fit, I hear....LOL

I for one have achieved over 21 MPG on a VX....and it is done exactly as. Riff Raff explained...

A lightweight tall skinny (contact patch) tire will deliver....and locking up the Torque Converter helps a lot, too.

I had great luck with Yokohama 315/75/16. And Buckshot Mudders 78-16....narrow but 36" tall!

As for the spelling bee....I use a tiny PDA with big fat fingers, to post and reply, so if I make a mistake....I just usually leave it, cause its easier than tryin to fix it on this micro keyboard....LOL

l.groves
04/25/2010, 01:03 PM
I think you missed the point. Its not about the spelling. I was trying to make a point. Not bash back or be on the offensive side. I'm just looking for answers, explanations and facts. Not how to drive.
In fact there may be a misunderstanding about my VX. It is a 99. The rims came in a smaller size than the 00's and up. My smaller tires on the larger rims might make the stock specs of a 99 but I haven't done the math to see. If I went taller that may throw off the mph/mpg.

TheGanzman
04/25/2010, 07:24 PM
In the words of Mr. T - "I predict PAIN!":mado:

crotchrocket
04/26/2010, 01:25 AM
If it's any consolation i get around 9mpg average !

OOPS, just read the rest of the thread and DUDE, can't believe you re-mortgaged your house to buy car parts, lol !!

tom4bren
04/26/2010, 06:12 AM
Mr. Groves,

Please correct me if any of my interpretation is incorrect.

I see that you are listed as a "New Member". There's absolutely nothing wrong with that - all are welcome here. My point is that your total cost for participation in this forum is $0 so the free advice you've gotten is in fact FREE.

You asked a question and GOT a response from several members that they either learned from years of experience or actually took the time to look up the information for you. Do you realize how rare that is?

It sounds as if you didn't like the answers you got. Oh well. Personally I put a lot of value in the information provided here. Maybe you should take a moment or two to look at the member profiles for those that you are acusing of being 'couch potatos' (one is Super Charged, one is currently building an entire aftermarket drive train, one is considered the wiki-tire-pedia).

I'm not trying to fuel the fire. I just wanted to make sure that you understand that there are no intentional efforts underway to discredit you or what you are trying to do. There have been many ... MANY ... threads here about people trying to squeeze more mpg out of a VX. If you want to reinvent the wheel however, nobody will stop you. I personally would welcome you to perform the mod you have envisioned and come back and teach us a thing or two.

Here's a starting point to help you out:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15864

I think he was going the opposite direction on gearing that you are planning but at least you can determine if this is something that you want to persue.

BTW, I am the couch potato you talked about. There is plenty that I would like to do to my VX. I do have the technical background and am not afraid to turn a wrench. I just don't have the time to start any large projects right now.

Last point. Good choice on the VX for a tow vehicle for JetSkis. I tow a twin pack of SeaDoos with mine (they even match the color).

Best of luck with your project. I hope you continue to be a member and let us know how it goes.

Tom

Ldub
04/26/2010, 06:27 AM
Mr. Groves,

Please correct me if any of my interpretation is incorrect.

I see that you are listed as a "New Member". There's absolutely nothing wrong with that - all are welcome here. My point is that your total cost for participation in this forum is $0 so the free advice you've gotten is in fact FREE.

You asked a question and GOT a response from several members that they either learned from years of experience or actually took the time to look up the information for you. Do you realize how rare that is?

It sounds as if you didn't like the answers you got. Oh well. Personally I put a lot of value in the information provided here. Maybe you should take a moment or two to look at the member profiles for those that you are acusing of being 'couch potatos' (one is Super Charged, one is currently building an entire aftermarket drive train, one is considered the wiki-tire-pedia).

I'm not trying to fuel the fire. I just wanted to make sure that you understand that there are no intentional efforts underway to discredit you or what you are trying to do. There have been many ... MANY ... threads here about people trying to squeeze more mpg out of a VX. If you want to reinvent the wheel however, nobody will stop you. I personally would welcome you to perform the mod you have envisioned and come back and teach us a thing or two.

Tom

Well said...:yes:

MMOROLEON
04/26/2010, 05:50 PM
HI I WANT TO PUT ON MY VEHICROSS 20'' WHEELS WHAT SIZES OF TIRES I NEED IF I HAVE MY VEHICROSS STOCK AND I DON' T WANT THE TIRES TO RUB... AND I DON;T WANT TO LIFT THE VEHICROSS TANKS...

Triathlete
04/26/2010, 06:17 PM
HI I WANT TO PUT ON MY VEHICROSS 20'' WHEELS WHAT SIZES OF TIRES I NEED IF I HAVE MY VEHICROSS STOCK AND I DON' T WANT THE TIRES TO RUB... AND I DON;T WANT TO LIFT THE VEHICROSS TANKS...

Might get some responses if you start a new thread or at least post in one that is pertinant to your question.:bwgy:

JHarris1385
04/26/2010, 06:25 PM
265/55/20

Riff Raff
04/26/2010, 06:59 PM

Welcome to the forum. Fellow VX member "TRIATHLETE" is absolutely right in perhaps starting a new thread more pertinent to your question would be best. However; realizing you are brand new to the forum and the nature of your question is tires/wheels, I'll be glad to personally assist you to the utmost of my ability. I've recovered your E-Mail address; so please look for my E-Mail in your computer in-box and we will discuss your topic off-line, so as not to disrupt this particular thread. Again, welcome to Vehicross.Info.:bgwb:

EDIT: After some quick research, these are the closest sizes to the OEM size of 29.5" O.D. for use with a 20" rim.

265/50R20 (30.43" O.D.) - Use this size "ONLY" if you want off-road A/T tread patterns (i.e. Falken Tire Co. & Nitto Tire Co.) - Unlikely to rub.
295/45R20 (30.45" O.D.) - "Street" tire choices only (damn near identical O.D. to above tire, but wider). - May rub very slightly due to width + O.D.

275/45R20 (29.7" O.D.) - Damn near a perfect match for OEM-O.D., but only "Street" tread choices available. - Unlikely to rub.
295/40R20 (29.5" O.D.) - A perfect matching O.D. to OEM., only "Street" tread choices availble. - Although wider, may not rub due to smaller O.D.

If only using "Street" tires on your VX, you may want to consider using taller 22" rims with the following tire sizes close to the OEM 29.5" O.D.:

285/35R22 (29.9" O.D.) - The 285 width will nicely fill-up the VX wheel-wells, and should be bolt-on perfect. - Unlikely to rub.
315/30R22 (29.5" O.D.) - Perfect matching O.D. to OEM; very wide 315 series to give a mean aggressive appearance. - May rub due to width.

djvx
04/26/2010, 07:03 PM
Is this guy for real? LOL

Get out your. 4" angle grinder and you could fit Dana 60 ring and pinion to fit, I hear....LOL

I for one have achieved over 21 MPG on a VX....and it is done exactly as. Riff Raff explained...

A lightweight tall skinny (contact patch) tire will deliver....and locking up the Torque Converter helps a lot, too.

I had great luck with Yokohama 315/75/16. And Buckshot Mudders 78-16....narrow but 36" tall!

As for the spelling bee....I use a tiny PDA with big fat fingers, to post and reply, so if I make a mistake....I just usually leave it, cause its easier than tryin to fix it on this micro keyboard....LOL
Not to highjack this thread or anything. . .but
Hey Big Meat, may I get some more info in regards to your achievement of 21 mpg, Locking up the torq converter is done how?.... Maybe we need a MPG improvement thread - or maybe there is one already. I'm no greeny by any means but a suv this small, with a 6 cylinder ought to get better than the 10- 12mpg I get.

JHarris1385
04/26/2010, 07:16 PM
Without doing any ratio changes of my 10-11% increase in tires...I roll about 15.7 average per tank. I ride 265.75.16. My procomp rims are not too light. I have acheived 17-18 before but the work involved was not worth my time. It concerned acetone.

djvx
04/26/2010, 07:21 PM
Without doing any ratio changes of my 10-11% increase in tires...I roll about 15.7 average per tank. I ride 265.75.16. My procomp rims are not too light. I have acheived 17-18 before but the work involved was not worth my time. It concerned acetone.

I don't understand exactly what you mean.

Grif
04/26/2010, 08:23 PM
I don't understand exactly what you mean.

There is a recent urban myth about adding small amounts of acetone to gasoline to increase its efficacy.

RickOKC
04/26/2010, 09:41 PM
VX PROs - What's the max tire height before having to trim the cladding?

I made a quick little spreadsheet calculator. Here is a preview:

TireSizeCalculator.xls (http://members.cox.net/radamsokc/TireSizeCalculator.xls)

Modify? Improve? Delete?

JHarris1385
04/26/2010, 09:46 PM
There is a whole nuther thread on that. I personally raised mine. No side effects. Trust me, before messing with my VX I did the RESEARCH. It works but...the time, and the money spent on the acetone isn't too worth it for me. I have thought about trying it again but have yet to come close. Find the old thread and post questions there.

Ldub
04/27/2010, 03:20 AM

I made a quick little spreadsheet calculator. Here is a preview:

TireSizeCalculator.xls (http://members.cox.net/radamsokc/TireSizeCalculator.xls)

Modify? Improve? Delete?

There are too many variables, re: different wheel offset/width, for a definitive answer to this question.

RickOKC
04/27/2010, 07:35 AM
There are too many variables, re: different wheel offset/width, for a definitive answer to this question.
Dang it! Of course that will make a difference. :o

Ldub
04/27/2010, 08:18 AM
Then praise almighty Ldud is a genious. All hale Ldud!!! Oh yea did you go back and correct your spelling yet.

Oh...almost fergetted...:yesgray:

Isuzu DID use a Dana 44 rear axle in some models.
I dunno where you're seeing this conversion kit, but I'm all ears, speshully iffin it'll work on the front axle...:yesgray:

BTW...now that I've had more time fer thinkin' on it & such, I figger I might just use "Then praise almighty Ldud is a genious. All hale Ldud!!!" as my new siggy line...:laughing:
Of course, I'd need your permission, & I'd prolly take another whack at the spelling on that "G-word"...:yesgray:

Riff Raff
04/27/2010, 09:26 AM

As L-Dub indicated there are many variables. However; on a 100% Stock "non-lifted" VX, the maximum tire O.D. hovers between 32.6" -- 33.3". The key is to use the skinniest/narrow tire available and the Stock OEM rims when using 16" or 18" tires. Use the narrowest rim width allowed for 15, 17, 20, 22 size tires. The skinnier the tire and the narrower the rim width, the less likeyhood trimming will be required on the VX cladding.

Here are the skinniest & tallest tires that will fit without "lifting" by rim size:

33/9.50-15LT (32.7" O.D.) (i.e. BFG - A/T)
255/85R16 (33.3" O.D.) - Use with 1999 VX rims (16x7)*
285/70R17 (32.7" O.D.)
265/70R18 (32.6" O.D.) - Use with '00/'01 VX rims (18x7)
275/70R18 (33.0" O.D.) - Use with '00/'01 VX rims (18x7)
275/60R20 (32.9" O.D.)
285/50R22 (33.2" O.D.)

* The winner is 255/85R16 (33.3" O.D.) mounted on 1999 OEM 16x7 VX rims. Your VX will look like a Stage-Coach with wagon wheels from the 'ol West, but there's your answer.

Disclaimer: The tire sizes listed above may or may not require cladding trim. Since VX's were hand-made; no two VX's are exactly alike and what clears on one VX may rub on another VX. Still, the above tires will fit on a 100% Stock "non-lifted" VX with little effort.:bgwb:

VXR
04/27/2010, 01:44 PM
one is considered the wiki-tire-pedia

LOL:bgwb:

MMOROLEON
04/27/2010, 04:30 PM
TANKS AND THE NEXT TIME I WILL OPEN A NEW FORUM... I JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW :confused:

l.groves
04/27/2010, 05:40 PM
I called about the DANA 44 kit and it will not work on the vehicross 12 bolt. No other ratio's are available that would make a difference. 4.10 only but would be of little benefit for mpg. Thus ends my quest....

Triathlete
04/27/2010, 08:33 PM
There are some options for the rear...4.77 which are rare and hard to find (a pair is for sale now on planetisuzoo.com) and 5.38's from Indy 4x (https://id211.chi.us.securedata.net/independent4x.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=46_48). No 5.38 for the front 10 bolt though...unless you do a SAS with a Waggy D44.

LittleBeast
04/27/2010, 08:34 PM
I called about the DANA 44 kit and it will not work on the vehicross 12 bolt. No other ratio's are available that would make a difference. 4.10 only but would be of little benefit for mpg. Thus ends my quest....

Yes, that is exactly what everyone was trying to tell you originally, and having replaced both my diff's in my garage myself I would have told you this and saved you some time, but I didn't feel you had respected the VX family here, and quite frankly I didn't appreciate your calling out some of our most respected and loyal members, many here consider each other brothers, and you don't mess with someone's brother and make many friends. I hope you can redeem yourself now that you see how tight of a group we are here.

Ldub
04/27/2010, 08:45 PM
TANKS AND THE NEXT TIME I WILL OPEN A NEW FORUM... I JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW :confused:

Left sidebar of home page->

Click on "forums"

Select topic that most closely fits your topic (scroll down to see them all)

Click on that topic

Click on "new thread" (near the top, L side)

Enter title of new thread

Turn off caps lock (AKA cruise control for "cool"...:smilewink)

Say what you will in the text field (try to be somewhat witty, & maybe even a little sarcastic, & add some smilies to keep the entertainment value "up", that's what works for me...:yesgray:)

Click on "submit new thread"

Done

VXR
04/28/2010, 03:02 AM
but I didn't feel you had respected the VX family here, and quite frankly I didn't appreciate your calling out some of our most respected and loyal members, many here consider each other brothers, and you don't mess with someone's brother and make many friends. I hope you can redeem yourself now that you see how tight of a group we are here.

little harsh don't ya think:confused:

Ldub
04/28/2010, 03:37 AM

Sounded about right to me...:laughing:

PK
04/28/2010, 04:40 AM

Well - he did sow the seed -

And reaped his just reward IMHO.

I guess that if there was any semblance of an apology for his rant(s), we could take him under our wing and nurse him through.

Now for the spell check - hmm, looks awlrite.:thumbup::thumbup:

PK

ScottinMA
04/28/2010, 06:54 AM

I've been waiting for this...he CERTAINLY had it coming and deserved it. But frankly the consideration and continued helpful attempts by forum members to contribute to his questions was truly amazing and speaks to the maturity of this group. More often than not, a person who presents himself like this on a forum is flamed relentlessly. Personally I hope he benefits from the whole experience and can become a constructive contributor in the future.

Ldub
04/28/2010, 07:05 AM
Personally I hope he benefits from the whole experience and can become a constructive contributor in the future.

:yes:

tom4bren
04/28/2010, 07:05 AM
I was thinkin ...

Wouldn't a 'lectric fan conversion net him .001% mpg increase??? Rumor has it that the butt dyno indicates significant throttle response increases.

Sorry Zeus - it had to be said.:)

ZEUS
04/28/2010, 07:23 AM
I was thinkin ...

Wouldn't a 'lectric fan conversion net him .001% mpg increase??? Rumor has it that the butt dyno indicates significant throttle response increases.

Sorry Zeus - it had to be said.:)I have no response to that. Hmm, now where's that beat a dead horse smilie...? :p
Interesting thread...

tom4bren
04/28/2010, 10:27 AM
It may be a dead horse ... at least the beatings are getting fewer & farther between ... but shall never be forgotten!!!!

ZEUS
04/28/2010, 10:45 AM
Well yeah, you gotta stay in shape!

Mile High VX
04/28/2010, 12:48 PM
You can shear a sheep as many times as you want, but you can only skin it once...:yesb::yesgray::yesy::yeso:

VXR
04/29/2010, 01:53 AM
frankly the consideration and continued helpful attempts by forum members to contribute

agreed but holding the reverse attacks to a minimum would be better:yesb:

Ldub
04/29/2010, 03:55 AM
agreed but holding the reverse attacks to a minimum would be better:yesb:

I can't think of a single facet of life where improvement can't be made.

But as a group, I think amazing restraint was shown...:yesgray:

Speaking only for myself, I had at least two replies composed, that never made it to the forums, before the toned down final draft was posted.

Ain't none of us perect...OR saints...:angel:

Besides...I wanted to feel important...:smilewink