PDA

View Full Version : TOD Freaking out? Look at your tires!!

gonzo7231
04/23/2010, 03:14 PM
Just bought my Green Dragon and put tires on it that I got from previous owner. The wear on the tires was different enough that the TOD system FREAKED OUT!! I left the tire place and was driving at about 40 mph when the 4-wheel kicked in and dropped me to 5 mph. Scared the crap out of me and nearly got rear-ended in traffic. I am new to the forum so didn't see a previous post about this issue. Bought new tires (matching):yesy: and problem vanished. I was afraid I was losing the transfer case or transmission or something. I had all sorts or projects running through my head including ripping into the tranny.

Alls well and growling down the road. :cooly:

Gonzo

BigMeatVX
05/20/2010, 10:52 PM
5 MPH ???:confused:

Whoa! those must have been some really unmatched tires...:confused:

tom4bren
05/21/2010, 05:30 AM
Yeah, my TOD check light comes on after about 10 min of driving. I'm assuming it's because of my worn front tires.

BTW, it's also a good idea to check your tire pressure regularly. An unmonitored slow leak on one tire can send your TOD 'Wacko'. Even changes in the outside temperature can cause problems related to tire pressure (especially if you subscribe to Riff Raff's school of low unsprung weight & have really soft sidewalls).

Sorry Riff - Just Kidding - been a while since anyone has 'jerked yer chain'

circmand
05/21/2010, 07:13 AM
Search before you post

Welcome to the club.

Cris
01/27/2011, 08:07 AM
Same thing happened to me . All it takes is 60,000on the same set of tires , could not see any visible difference to the tires.but I spent 700 on a new transfer case saddly to say that was not the fix just new tires

Luna X
01/27/2011, 08:29 AM
remember to change out your summer-air for some winter-air... :)

if all else fails, top off your blinker fluid and keep an eye on your muffler bearing

gonzo7231
01/27/2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks! That reminds me I need to pick up a fresh can of "Beep" for my horn.

Just installed new JDM Fallopian tubes under the hood and everything running great so far!

Gonzo

Triathlete
01/27/2011, 01:35 PM
Reminds me of some of our old military days pranks. We would send new guys on a goose chase to get a can of purple prop wash...and since everyone knew of it (except the newbs) they would all play along and say they were all out and send them to the next place! Or during plane launches we would send them in to get the mech's to come out and service the pneumatic fluid.:bwgy:
Ah, the good old days before the military got all politically correct.:yesy:

Cobrajet
01/27/2011, 06:04 PM
Reminds me of some of our old military days pranks. We would send new guys on a goose chase to get a can of purple prop wash...and since everyone knew of it (except the newbs) they would all play along and say they were all out and send them to the next place! Or during plane launches we would send them in to get the mech's to come out and service the pneumatic fluid.:bwgy:
The two I recall where the intermittent ASH receivers in our reconassance planes. Noobs could never find where they were installed!

Occassionally we would have a B-1-RD land on our airstrip! If you've never seen the B-1-RD I feels sorry for you!

Nowadays, I have to troubleshoot ID-10-t errors at work!

Ebenezr
01/27/2011, 06:07 PM
do you guys change the fluid in your turn signals every 3,000 miles like your supposed to?

rowhard
01/27/2011, 06:31 PM

I always enjoyed sending the new troops for left handed wrenches,... pretty sure I was a young troop and went,... yep, sure did.

Remember when I first got to Thailand in 69, had trained on RF-4C, got assigned to the Triple Nickel D model, all those bombs. Been there maybe two weeks, Max effort, 18 F-4D's loaded with 11 CBU-56's each, max takeoff like a WWII movie, but two took off early with Suu23 and rocket pods, didn't know why so asked the the old crew chief how come. He said they were loaded with baht, (Thai money) and would drop it and the bad guys would come out of the caves in Laos to pick it up and two waves of F-4D's would put a hurt'in on them. Found out later they were FAC's, one was a airborne spare, yea, they had a good laugh on the new guy,... me.

sorry for the thread hijack

vt_maverick
01/27/2011, 06:34 PM
Congratulations rowhard, you just won the Most Acronyms in a Single Post Award. ;) :p

Now off to Wikipedia for a translation... :)

Dmitrikr
01/27/2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks! That reminds me I need to pick up a fresh can of "Beep" for my horn.
Gonzo

You mean "Horny" fluid?:bgwo:

Triathlete
01/27/2011, 07:26 PM
The two I recall where the intermittent ASH receivers in our reconassance planes. Noobs could never find where they were installed!

Occassionally we would have a B-1-RD land on our airstrip! If you've never seen the B-1-RD I feels sorry for you!

Nowadays, I have to troubleshoot ID-10-t errors at work!

Best one was having them test the cockpit to birdcage communication system (ie. pisstube). Of course you could never hear them so you would have them hold it closer to their mouth and talk louder :winky:

rowhard
01/27/2011, 07:31 PM
Congratulations rowhard, you just won the Most Acronyms in a Single Post Award. ;) :p

Now off to Wikipedia for a translation... :)

sorry

RICHARD PAYNE
01/28/2011, 07:17 PM
Just bought my Green Dragon and put tires on it that I got from previous owner. The wear on the tires was different enough that the TOD system FREAKED OUT!! I left the tire place and was driving at about 40 mph when the 4-wheel kicked in and dropped me to 5 mph. Scared the crap out of me and nearly got rear-ended in traffic. I am new to the forum so didn't see a previous post about this issue. Bought new tires (matching):yesy: and problem vanished. I was afraid I was losing the transfer case or transmission or something. I had all sorts or projects running through my head including ripping into the tranny.

Alls well and growling down the road. :cooly:

Gonzo

As far as I know, I was always told on an AWD car or truck you have to always have even and change all fours. That is why it sucks if you blow one; then you buy all four. Advantages and disadvantages.

VXR
01/28/2011, 08:56 PM
As far as I know, I was always told on an AWD car or truck you have to always have even and change all fours. That is why it sucks if you blow one; then you buy all four. Advantages and disadvantages.

good reason to rotate in a full size spare:yesb: