PDA

View Full Version : Is a '98 Trooper shift handle the same as '01 VX?

RallyDude
04/23/2010, 11:17 AM
I was looking to go back to a stock shifter as the aftermarket one that the PO put in has some shift lock security problems. The shifter goes thru the gears without the key in, and today, the vehicle needed to be pushed a few feet in order for it to turn over. Is a '98 Trooper shift handle the same as '01 VX?
Thanks

Ascinder
04/23/2010, 11:24 AM
I have a 99 VX shift handle for sale if you're looking for one. Do you need the transfer case shifter knob too? I can sell the transmission shifter for $10 plus shipping or both for $15.

RallyDude
04/23/2010, 11:42 AM
I told another member that I would take his trooper one if it was the same, and his was $5. Great deals from everyone! It comes down to compatibility and conditioning. I assume that both shift handles were the same for all year VX's?

RallyDude
04/25/2010, 01:58 PM
So I didn't hear from the other member, and as I have a starting problem related to the shift interlock, Ascinder, I'd like to take you up on both shift knobs. How do you want payment?

etlsport
04/26/2010, 07:58 AM
(not trying to prevent a sale here)

but are you sure the shifter handle is the problem? its a really really simple design i cant see it breaking really

before i bought a new one i would try removing the old one and just using the rod that comes up through the shifter and see if that solves the problem, if it does then get the new shifter, if not its probably a cable or the mechanism under the shifter console

RallyDude
04/26/2010, 07:00 PM
I'd do the job even if it was just cosmetic. I Like the stock look better than what's in here. And I think the sloppiness will be eliminated without a set-screw shifter. Ascinder I'd like to buy both shipped to 80452. I'll email and pm you. Also, I believe I need a manual, checked the downloads, everything but the owners manual was there.

etlsport
04/28/2010, 04:28 AM
ohhh! i missed that you had an aftermarket shift handle.. if its the RAZO style with a vertical button, that probably is your problem, when I installed mine it took 3-4 days worth of tiny adjustments to get the height right to stop rattling but release far enough to get the key back out

after reading your first post again, you may need to take the center console out for the repair. There is a wedge shaped white plastic piece thats slotted to allow the shifter to be locked in place, i believe that it also is connected to the neutral selector (transmission mode) switch. mine popped off once when i had a box fall on the shift handle and force it out of gear

RallyDude
04/29/2010, 10:23 AM
I purchased both stock knobs and owners manual from Ascinder a few days ago. Thanks etisport for your advise, but I'll just wait for the stock ones to come in.

Mile High VX
04/29/2010, 10:33 AM
I purchased both stock knobs and owners manual from Ascinder a few days ago. Thanks etisport for your advise, but I'll just wait for the stock ones to come in.

If during the installation of the aftermarket shifter the plastic engagement shaft was altered you are going to need to get a new one for the OEM shifter to work.

When I looked at putting a RAZO on my VX like the one on my Honda I decided against it because of the need to trim down the OEM plastic shaft and I could not find where to get a new one if I ever wanted to go back.