PDA

View Full Version : VX engine swap

dvo
04/22/2010, 04:35 PM
Im in the process of buying a vx with a blown motor..What would be your suggestion on a engine I should put in it?

RamAirZ
04/22/2010, 04:40 PM
Well easy swap could be a 3.2/3.5 dohc engine from an isuzu, after that it's open to whatever you can either afford or have the skills to put in yourself. A fairly simple swap to me would be a chevy 4.3 V6. You could run EFI or Carb (up to you), if you go EFI you will need to get a computer/wiring to run it, also you would need an adapter froma Fiero store to adapt a GM 90* engine to the 60* trans, or you could run a chevy 2.8/3.1/3.4 and it will bolt up to the trans, just need to make motor mounts and what not for it. Your possibilities are endless!

dvo
04/22/2010, 04:48 PM
Im leaning toward the 3.5 dohc from a 2002 trooper... My brother owns a custom shop so Im thinking of sending out to him with a a trunk of cash (lol) I was also thinking a diesel from a trooper ...If you had any choice of engines what would it be?

Ascinder
04/22/2010, 05:20 PM
I have a stock vehicross motor for sale here

RamAirZ
04/23/2010, 12:58 AM
If I could pick a motor, one that is reasonable to fitting, I'd want either a Cummins 4BT diesel or a Magnacharged 6.0 LSx engine.

etlsport
04/23/2010, 04:43 AM
caddy has a 4.0 V8 that supposedly bolts right up to the 4L30E trans... dont think its been done, especially not on a VX, but in theory it works if you get the computers right

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/AuroraSwap.html

atilla_the_fun
04/23/2010, 05:38 AM
don't use the trooper engine! Use the Axiom's first years engine. Why would you spend all this money and not get a more reliable version????

disasterlady
06/01/2010, 11:39 AM
sooo, does anyone know what the best replacement engine is for my 99 VX 3.5 v6? came off the freeway this weekend with a knocking that grew louder by the moment... got it to my mechanics who hasn't opened it up yet, but thinks it's a rod, oil was black, knocking incredibly loud from engine. so sad, I want to replace with same engine but newer and without mods unless these engines are not good to begin with and a different engine would be better? Mechanic doesn't want to do a rebuild and his estimates would cost about $2k- $2.5k for rebuild. I heard GM is buying these engines now... anyone know what one would work for the VX?

Please if anyone has done this and had good results, please let me know? I don't need opinions that aren't tried and true. =]

You guys rock with the help.... thanks
I intend to keep my VX for life.

tomdietrying
06/01/2010, 11:58 AM
Listen to Atilla. There's a guy out in Austin that put an Axiom engine in his VX. Use the search button because there is a write up somewhere. Also, BigMeat just put a 5 speed in his VX recently. Again, use the search button to find the articles on it.
Peace.
Tom

BigSwede
06/02/2010, 06:56 AM
don't use the trooper engine! Use the Axiom's first years engine. Why would you spend all this money and not get a more reliable version????

An 02 Trooper engine should be fine, that would have the redesigned oil rings.

BigMeatVX
06/02/2010, 08:34 AM
The upgrade actually came sometime midyear 02...as my 02 Axiom STILL had the older style valve covers??? Also the updated 03-later engines have a much better PCV valve...My 02 Axiom engine (dealer installed in VX) is great! 230 HP and NO oil. Consumtion at 60K + miles....

If it were me, Id buck up for the 250 horse 04 version...with direct injection....
A little more computer swapin, but well worth it!!! In the future, expect to see folks experamenting with alternitive fuels on this engine, as with DI, the possibilities are enless....much improved gas mileage as well.

And DI engines can handle much more boost, in the event someone wanted more power....

BigSwede
06/02/2010, 10:23 AM
The upgrade actually came sometime midyear 02...
I am told the ring upgrade can be detected by the presence of a screw-in PCV valve, versus a push-in one. Obviously, this should be confirmed on the subject 02 Trooper engine before jumping on it...

Triathlete
06/02/2010, 11:07 AM
Before deciding you will want to look at your states laws on engine swaps and emissions.
I know some states out east are rediculous with their emissions/aftermarket laws.
Here in Az the donor engine must be the same year or newer(which the above options are).

BigMeatVX
06/02/2010, 11:10 AM
I am told the ring upgrade can be detected by the presence of a screw-in PCV valve, versus a push-in one. Obviously, this should be confirmed on the subject 02 Trooper engine before jumping on it...

Yep, however, SOME 02 troops may have come with the newer screw-in setup, but they continued puting the older push-in PCV style engines isuzus untill at least midway thru 02....this is why my 02 Axiom had the older push-in style...but on the VX when I had the 3rd engine installed, they gave me an 230 Horse, 03 model with the newer screw in style PCV and the better rings...

Like BigSwede says, best to confirm this first...dont just assume if its an 02 engine, that it is the updated one....:winky:

RamAirZ
06/02/2010, 12:07 PM
Or just swap in one of these and be done with it :)

http://www.encuentra24.com/files/54/52/545240_1.jpg

BigSwede
06/04/2010, 01:34 PM
The upgrade actually came sometime midyear 02...as my 02 Axiom STILL had the older style valve covers??? Also the updated 03-later engines have a much better PCV valve...
The information I have from a couple of different sources is for Troopers getting the ring upgrade is mid-year 2001...don't know about other models.

sleveritt
06/06/2010, 03:12 PM
I researched the same issue last year. I am (and at least one other) are going with an entire driveline swap. LS1/Chevy parts are cheaper and easier to find. Just my two cents...

Sam

RamAirZ
06/06/2010, 03:58 PM
Ya that's what I was thinking about, but I think I'd go with the LM4, aluminum block still to save weight but doesn't bring NEAR the money the LS1 engines still do lol. I'm thinking about a 5.3/4L60E combo with a Dana 300 off the back.