PDA

View Full Version : Got a waggly rear end?...FIX IT

Ldub
04/19/2010, 12:41 AM
My name is Larry, & I've got waggly rear end syndrome...:mbrasd:

Or at least, I DID...:_wrench:

Since last summer some time, I've been experiencing the somewhat unpleasant sensation of the rear end of my VX getting all squirrely when going down the highway. Usually at a constant cruising speed of 60-70 mph it would start pitching back & forth until I let off the gas, then it would straighten out.
It got progressively worser over the winter until I could feel it wiggle back & forth at much lower speeds around 20-30 mph. Eventually, I could feel it pitch one way when I accelerated, then the other direction when I lifted off the skinny pedal.
At first I suspected worn front end parts, ball joints, center link, worn shocks, control arm bushings...:_confused
Then I remembered reading something Mike (Musky Amigo) wrote over on the MWIOR forums a year or two ago, about how the holes in the mounts on the frame where the lower links connect, had become egg shaped from the forces of acceleration & braking...hmmmmmmm...:_thinking
As I was cracking my lugs loose the other day, with the wheels on the ground, I noticed some movement in this area. Upon disassembly, I saw exactly what he had mentioned...oblong holes in the mounting bracket on the frame.
His solution was to zap some gr 8 washers on the outer surface of both sides of the bracket.
Since I don't have access to a welder any more, I went to the local purveyor of all wares hard, & picked up some half moon woodruff keys (very small, 1/8" thick) & gr 8 washers.
I then ground down the 1/2 moon keys so they resembled a crescent shape, & inserted them on the forward side of the oblong hole to act as shims, while prying the lower link back with a tire iron.
I then buttoned it all back up (after greasing the pivot pins) with the gr 8 washers against the outside of the bracket, effectivly captruing the 1/2 moon keys in their place.
A test drive quickly proved Mikes theory as being right, & you shoulda been able to see me smile from a mile away...:yesgray:
I'm gonna swing by my welder guy's place in the next day or two, to get the washers zapped on to the mounting brackets, to make this a permanent fix.
I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to drive Suzy straight down the road again...I'm :dance:

tom4bren
04/19/2010, 08:23 AM
WOO HOO!!!

Good catch & nice innovative fix.

phines
04/19/2010, 08:53 AM
I'm definitely in need of this fix. Do you think you can post a pic or two?
________
Sex (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yaRWmmfEfA)

Ldub
04/19/2010, 11:06 AM
I'm definitely in need of this fix. Do you think you can post a pic or two?

Sorry it's not a better pic, it was getting close to bedtime & my cameras batterys wen go :deadgray:

I had to button her up & hit the sheets.

This is one of the 1/2 moon keys in place before the washers & nut go on.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC043411.JPG

I'll try to do better before & after welder dude does the zappy-zap...:yesgray:

phines
04/19/2010, 12:02 PM
That's perfect. I know exactly what you're talking about now. Thanks!
________
ONE TREE HILL FORUMS (http://www.tv-gossip.com/one-tree-hill/)

Ascinder
04/19/2010, 06:05 PM
Hey Dub, I'm about to rip out my mounts to install the new rear suspension. If you want them I can send 'em out to you for the cost of shipping(probably $5-8). As far as I know they are in perfect shape. I can send pics if you want them. Just thinking you could have them welded on just as easily.

Ldub
04/19/2010, 11:16 PM
Hey Dub, I'm about to rip out my mounts to install the new rear suspension. If you want them I can send 'em out to you for the cost of shipping(probably $5-8). As far as I know they are in perfect shape. I can send pics if you want them. Just thinking you could have them welded on just as easily.

Big :thanx: for the offer Beau...you're overqualified as "one of the good ones"...:yesgray:
And I'll take you up on that, but for this year, zapping the washers is gonna have to do. I'll be doing pretty good to get welder dude on board to do that in the dwindling time left before I leave for Moab...:rolleyesg
I'm thinking I might cut em & section in some heavier ga steel on the sides where the holes are, maybe move the holes about an inch further back, to compensate for lift. All this would be much easier to accomplish on a bench, rather than in place.

How bout you bring em with next time we're in Moab at the same time, & I'll be happy to take em off your hands then?

I'd even be willing to compensate you with many libations of your choosing...:yesgray:...:_beer:

Ldub
04/20/2010, 12:37 AM
As an additional benefit, all the driveline noises that used to make me think of bad U joints, or too much lash in the ring/pinion, are now GONE...:yesgray:

tom4bren
04/20/2010, 10:48 AM
I'd heard that waggly rear ends create all kinds of unmentionable noises. Glad you could verify that for us.

Ldub
04/20/2010, 10:50 AM
I'd heard that waggly rear ends create all kinds of unmentionable noises. Glad you could verify that for us.

I do what I can...:mbrasd:

1+ & 1- today...:_thinking

- alignment dude sez T-bars cranked so far outta spec, all he could set is tow in...:confusedw

+ welder dude sez SURE, bring it by in the morning...:thumbup:

bearandbee
05/30/2012, 02:57 PM
My VX pulls left to right at highway speeds. I have new tires and alignment with only rear wheel drive. Could this also by my prob?

Ldub
05/30/2012, 05:18 PM
My VX pulls left to right at highway speeds. I have new tires and alignment with only rear wheel drive. Could this also by my prob?

Of course it COULD...anything is possible...:_confused

Perhaps removing a nut/washer, to see what may lurk behind it is in order..:confused:

Did you SEE the pics?, does YOUR hole look like mine?...:_thinking

C'mon dude...get a wrench & SEE what's going on...:yesgray:

bearandbee
05/30/2012, 06:06 PM
I've been itching for a new VX project but my wife might leave me if I start taking things apart again. It's become an addiction.

Ldub
05/30/2012, 06:32 PM
I've been itching for a new VX project but my wife might leave me if I start taking things apart again. It's become an addiction.

I didn't mean to be harsh'n your enthusiasm dood...:flower:

But...tell her you're examining the underside for alien corpses...:yesgray:

THEN...take a quick look behind the washer & nut...:_wrench:.:yesgray:

Triathlete
05/30/2012, 06:39 PM
Did y:(:(ou SEE the p:(ics?, does YOUR hole look like mine?
:bwgy: :bgwo: :bgwb:

bearandbee
05/30/2012, 07:02 PM

Yea I knew better than to touch that one. But anyway, I'll check out my nuts when my wife let's me play with them again. Baaahahaha

Ldub
05/30/2012, 07:31 PM

Yea I knew better than to touch that one. But anyway, I'll check out my nuts when my wife let's me play with them again. Baaahahaha

Cuz you SHOULDN'T!...AND I MEAN IT!:upsetgray

DO NOT, under any circumstance, click on these AWFUL, FILTHY, links...:upsetgray

I done told ya NOT to, so don't gimmie any crap back... about how depraved they are...NUFF SED!

DO NOT LOOK!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHCa o3h72dEE&ei=N9XGT4HiAYXDgQew_ZX2Cg&usg=AFQjCNGoOUGbIwrbDnpJ5Eb0me8keqWO8Q&sig2=ShMK1ILR0gaPEtzg33txYQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFgQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-MY9OJDM8zg&ei=2tTGT9u0PIXpgAemzYHeCg&usg=AFQjCNFIQleP8KkQI6yCyZOD2ZGgskZ_MQ&sig2=Mcvoy37S6RdXXKWLyQHZsA

Triathlete
05/30/2012, 07:57 PM
I dig RW...got most of his stuff on my eye-pod! :)

Ldub
05/30/2012, 07:58 PM
I dig RW...got most of his stuff on my eye-pod! :)

U-N-me, bof...:yesgray:.:laughing:

Ldub
11/07/2013, 05:49 PM
Bump for Robert

Dumke
11/08/2013, 08:26 AM
Thank you Dub. I just got around to searching it this morning.

tom4bren
11/08/2013, 09:23 AM
Dumke must have a waggly rear end.

Wouldn't have thunk that in a bazillion years.:)

Ldub
11/08/2013, 10:02 AM
Dumke must have a waggly rear end.

Wouldn't have thunk that in a bazillion years.:)

You never seen tha "strap dance"???

tom4bren
11/08/2013, 10:31 AM
izzat one of dem 'once seen ... cannot be un-seen' moments???

bartmanS4
11/08/2013, 10:48 AM
If'n your rear end is too loose it's because you've been abusing it too much.

Ldub
11/10/2013, 06:51 PM
izzat one of dem 'once seen ... cannot be un-seen' moments???

yeh...pretty much...

but here ya go anyway...http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=258706&postcount=89

(scroll dwn)

Ldub
09/09/2017, 09:46 AM
Another bump for Robert. <3

Thelgord
09/09/2017, 05:26 PM
Fairly new to a VX, this may solve an issue for me.