PDA

View Full Version : SIRIUS FOR LIFE!

Joe_Black
08/20/2003, 08:44 PM
Check this out: Lifetime SIRIUS for $399. (http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Page&cid=1019257316818)

Pens
08/20/2003, 09:59 PM
I would be careful since some business gurus believe that Sirius could be absorbed by XM since due to financial difficulties. If that happens XM would not be obligated to pick up their contracts, they most likely would but you never know.

That was a major factor in my selecting of XM.

Joe_Black
08/21/2003, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the info, but the financials were an additional reason I went with SIRIUS. I work in the financial industry (IT dept.) and get to pick the brains of our investments group. XM has some good spin-doctors, but SIRIUS has stronger green and is poised to keep running when XM runs out of dough. It's still very close in what is a very new market and technology. XM's failure to obtain insurance relief on their most recently failed satellite is a major blow to them fiscally and is also forcing them to roll the dice on launching their spare bird far earlier than anticipated. SIRIUS has had their birds up longer (they were first to orbit) with fewer problems.

Believe me, I don't want either to fail for as long as there are at least two providers they'll be competitive on pricing and offer great deals like the one that started this thread. For $399 for life it's $11 a month just at three years. Anything beyond that is just cake!

IsuZOOM
08/21/2003, 06:07 AM
Assuming the service follows the unit and the new buyer should you sell down the road, it's a good deal, just like lifetime service on a ReplayTV or TiVo. Why throw out $11+ a month?

AnalogVX
08/21/2003, 06:13 AM
I have been considering satellite radio for a while now. I have 3 separate FM bands preset for radio stations in 2 states. This seems like a good deal. When I checked it out, there was one thing that sticks out however... the $399. subscription is for the life of the radio. What happens if you need a replacement before 3 years for whatever reason? Highly unlikely, I know, but a concern just the same.

IsuZOOM
08/21/2003, 06:36 AM
With every type of unit I've ever had that had a monthly / lifetime service option, they'd transfer the service if they had to replace the unit under warranty or whatever.

RalphDog
08/21/2003, 07:04 AM
I think this is a great idea for Sirius (or for XM), both could use the capital, and it should allow diehard subscribers to save money.

I'll be curious to see how many people actually jump in on it though, because the price seems a bit high. For a comparison I think TIVO is a hundred dollars cheaper for their lifetime subscription.

Still though, this is a good idea. JoeBlack are you going in?

Pens
08/21/2003, 08:38 AM
To me it would be like buying a lifetime subscription to AOL or MSN, they keep upgrading everything and in another year or two these could be out of date. At ten bucks a month you never even know you are paying. Just my opinion.

Joe_Black
08/21/2003, 05:01 PM
Good point, but with AOL and MSN they're changing the software on your PC and the way it appears visually but not necessarily the content. With XM and SIRIUS it's all content. Otherwise you're changing hardware which would alienate just about everyone. It'd be like all the auto manufacturers telling everyone out of the blue to go and buy new engines for their vehicles 'cause they're going to start using Karo Syrup for fuel.

In any case, I called up SIRIUS today and got the scoop: The plan is for the LIFE OF THE RECEIVER. If you change or upgrade it doesn't transfer. But, if it fails under warranty and the unit is repaired or replaced then you're fine. If you plan on keeping your equipment for at least three years then it's a pretty sweet deal, but they also have other discounted term plans ranging from 1 to 6 years that can get you to as low as $8 a month. You're popped $75 if you terminate a plan early which isn't so bad if you've had it a while. But I can't imagine anyone who has had satellite for a while wanting to EVER part with it! It's crack for your ears!

So, I just made the order to Crutchfield for a new Panasonic CD/MP3 head, SIRIUS tuner and some Infinity speakers so I can put my satellite tuning more at eye level. Since Panasonic has a 3-year Customer Care Plan I'm jumping in the "lifetime" SIRIUS boat as well. I haven't listened to FM since I got it and the streams I listen to sound like the DJ's are pulling the CD's from my collection, so the changer won't be missed. The fuzzy hole is getting a 3.5" LCD for the back-up camera so the changer slot will get the dash cubby. I can't live without music so at least this mod will get done quickly! LOL!

Pens
08/21/2003, 10:02 PM
Actually XM offered a similar discount for a long term plan and said if you cancelled they would pro-rate a refund so I would imagine Sirius is similar.