PDA

View Full Version : VX-O2 visit at the Petersen Museum - Los Angeles

Baldwin
04/17/2010, 02:33 PM
Ok...Petersen Museum said the VX-O2 has been displayed once since we last saw it in the vault and will again be displayed in a new "Concept Car" exhibit. Working on the details if you guys want to get together again. The other option is to just go anyways even if the exhibit is not ready and see if I can get another private tour of the VX-O2. We also have one of the designers of the VX-O2 interested to come so he can answer questions.

The museum ALSO said that if we are serious, they can try to work out a situation where we can borrow the VX-O2 IF we are serious about making one of our own. It would be a tough thing for them to do, but it can be done with a lot of paperwork. They also said they would allow us to set up a scan onsite with a CAD company (which would be easier to do, but harder for a custom shop to make a new tonneau mold). Since the museum said that the VX-O2 is in their permanent collection, there really is no other way to see the car other than at the museum or if we make another one. Since Isuzu donated the car to them and my uncle is a major donator of the museum, we have a good chance of making our own if we want to shell out the time and money.

Anyone interested in this trip?

vt_maverick
04/17/2010, 02:53 PM
So what are we talking about here in terms of dollars to make the CAD thing happen? Sounds like you're saying we need to "persuade" the museum to allow a CAD company in (which I assume means a hefty donation) and we need to pay the CAD company itself for the drawings? Got a more specific wag for how much total money we're talking about here? I obviously don't have the money to do a conversion like this now, but you never know when you might steal a late night show out from under somebody and make enough ching to start your own collection. ;) :p :D TJ over.

I'd consider pitching in something reasonable to make it happen.

Riff Raff
04/17/2010, 06:51 PM
The VX-2 is essentially a "convertible" VX. Obviously, the best and most economical solution to having a "convertible clone" of the VX-2 is to have your own hardtop VX professionally modified (cut-up) by a specialty automotive shop that performs custom convertible conversions.

I just googled the internet and there are plenty of professional convertible conversion specialty shops out there in the marketplace. I'm sure with the right amount of money, they could perfectly transform a normal hardtop VX into a VX-2 "clone".

Your best bet is to find a local convertible conversion specialty shop in the Los Angeles, CA area (of which should be many due to TV/Movie celebrities). Then have one or two of their skilled employee's accompany you at the Peterson Museum so they can have a hands-on look at the original VX-2 and they can invision exactly what the modification entails (and estimated cost).

The likelyhood of a VX-2 convertible going into some sort of mass production is between slim to none and would be cost prohibitive. If an individual desperately wants a VX-2 "clone" that bad, then they're just gonna' have to pony up the individual money and have their own hardtop VX professionally transformed by a convertible specialty shop. Heck, it only takes money-- TV/Movie celebrities do it quite often to their privately owned vehicles and don't even bat an eyelash.

For me, I am absolutely happy with the electric-Moonroof I have installed in my VX. It doesn't leak a drop during torential Washington State rainstorms and it provides me additonal sunlight when it's closed and additional fresh air when it's open. Plus, when I park the VX for extended amounts of time (like at a ballgame or movie), I don't have to worry about some thug cutting my convertible-top canvas just to gain access to my vehicle's interior. For an electric-Moonroof in the VX, the cost is about $1,500 (+/-) which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a full-on convertible conversion just to get additional fresh air into the cockpit. If I wanted a convertible that bad in my life, then I'd just buy a vehicle that came from the OEM factory as a convertible. Just my 2-cents. 'Nuff said.

VX_FX
04/17/2010, 07:00 PM
I heard they had a VX-02 there. I had planned to go the Petersen Museum as apart of my explore L.A. plan. I recently purchased my VX and have been trying to locate other owners in So Cal. I live in WeHo not to far from the Petersen actually.

Send me a msg if you live in the area. Also keep me posted on the Petersen plans.

Lonnie

Baldwin
04/17/2010, 07:50 PM
There's a lot that would go into the VX conversion as you'll see when you see the O2. The quote I've received from GAS and Metal Crafters (Chip Foos hasn't responded but they outsourse to Metal Crafters) is between $60k-$80k. But this is if they were to build the tonneau cover without the car to make a mold and make it based off of a ton of photos. Between all of us that have seen the VX-O2, we have plenty. They also have to custom make a new windshield that is about 3" shorter and reinforce the car. My guess is that if we can borrow the car (maybe need to make a $1000 donation) we can get the cover replicated with a new mold (ItalDesign threw it away when they moved back to Italy). This would probably save us about $20k.

Of course, we'd have to supply the original VX. The 80k quote from GAS included new sound system, dual exhaust and 20" rims/tires, and new seats that ride low. Can probably do that stuff yourself to reduce the cost. The convertible mod company here only does rag tops and will not make a new tonneau cover which is the main thing for the VXO2. He would just chop it and leave the windshield as is and put an ugly rollbar over it and make it look like a targa top. I ruled him out as an option. He wanted 30k minimum but didn't want to touch it cuz he had a load of mercedes and hummers waiting to be converted. This guy is probably the best and does all the Hollywood stars cars. I think he did Shaq's H2. I don't know how much the CAD thing will cost or if it is much help for making the cover. Would rather pay to borrow it than pay to CAD it.

Still a lot of money in this economy (and even not in this economy), but I'm waiting to go platinum on my CD and land a huge role on a new movie and also sell my script for the movie I'm working on. Help spread the word of my CD and maybe this will get done sooner. :) www.onlywon.com. Till then, we can all go visit the VXO2 at the Petersen and dream a little more till one of us makes it big enough to want to spend the money and time.

Anita
04/17/2010, 08:13 PM
Baldwin,

Mike and I are up for a museum visit whenever the VX-02 is on display or if we get another private showing. It would be great to have another meet there. :bgwo:

phines
04/17/2010, 08:23 PM
I would definitely be interested in a meet as well. I would love to see that VX-O2 in person... and of course any other VX'ers that can be there too!

As for the conversion, I've tried getting quotes from several places and they basically just laughed at me. Given the quotes you've received, now I know why. :smilewink
________
CHEAP AIRSOFT AMMO (http://airsoft-shop.info/tag/ammo)

blacksambo
04/17/2010, 08:41 PM
Here's an idea! Let's ask Jay leno if he's interested. If he was,it would be a smooth move from dream to reality, as he'll spend whatever it takes to add to his collection. It at least would put another VX-02 on the map. What say?

Ldub
04/17/2010, 10:40 PM
Here's an idea! Let's ask Jay leno if he's interested. If he was,it would be a smooth move from dream to reality, as he'll spend whatever it takes to add to his collection. It at least would put another VX-02 on the map. What say?

Anyone who thinks the Azztek will be a future collectible, is unworthy of VX ownership IMO...:laughing:

vt_maverick
04/18/2010, 06:41 AM
Riff - I don't think anyone believes it would ever be mass produced. But as others have noted it seems like it would be much harder for a custom shop to reproduce the body panels from pictures (no matter how many there are) rather than detailed CAD models.

You never know what might happen to the prototype - the museum closes someday, they auction it off to some private collector who buries it in a warehouse somewhere. Would be good to get the designs while it's still available.

Baldwin
04/18/2010, 05:26 PM
workin' out the details. Will let you guys know a date. I'm assuming a Saturday is the best? I think the Johny Rockets is now open inside the museum so we can do a lunch thing there too.

So-CalVX
04/19/2010, 08:48 PM
now are you saying they are holding a strictly concept car showing ? which would includde the concept VX the convertible and the 4 door?
i'd be interested...
i agree a saturday would be best
it would be cool to meet more VXers

LittleBeast
04/19/2010, 10:38 PM
Obviously, the best and most economical solution.....

Your best bet is to.....

Aw geez here we go again, lol ;)

Haha, just joking there Riff's alot :)

Riff - I don't think anyone believes it would ever be mass produced. But as others have noted it seems like it would be much harder for a custom shop to reproduce the body panels from pictures (no matter how many there are) rather than detailed CAD models.

You never know what might happen to the prototype - the museum closes someday, they auction it off to some private collector who buries it in a warehouse somewhere. Would be good to get the designs while it's still available.

Yeah I agree, any shop could custom fab this up (at your expense) but if anyone was really going to put up the money to make another VX-02 they would probably want it to be as close to the real thing as possible and not just some dudes closest guess, so yeah get some CAD models if possible.

Anita
04/19/2010, 10:41 PM
now are you saying they are holding a strictly concept car showing ? which would includde the concept VX the convertible and the 4 door?
i'd be interested...
i agree a saturday would be best
it would be cool to meet more VXers

Peterson has the convertable, the 4-door, and the axiom truck. The concept is elsewhere. I smell a VX meet happening!!

vt_maverick
04/20/2010, 06:47 AM
Honestly these are the ONLY times I ever wish I lived in California. ;) :p

So-CalVX
04/20/2010, 07:20 AM
Peterson has the convertable, the 4-door, and the axiom truck. The concept is elsewhere. I smell a VX meet happening!!

of all the axioms... that's the one i don't like... the convertible was sharp as was the sporty version

i'd need to rearrange some funds but i hope to be able to make it...

wintermute
04/20/2010, 07:58 AM
I'm in for sure. It will be my first meet as a new VX owner, and the museum is not that far from me. :)

LiquidVX
04/20/2010, 08:17 AM
Wish I could go.

TheGanzman
04/23/2010, 12:34 PM
I'm all in - the last trip was mucho fun!:yesgray:

Baldwin
04/24/2010, 02:00 AM
They are working on a "Concept Car" showcase where they display all the cars in their collection that were concept cars. The VX O2 and the other Isuzus would be part of that showing. If you guys wanna wait for that, that's cool. I'm trying to find out if they will let us go to the vault again in case the VX-O2 is not on display. Steve Jennes (VX-O2 codesigner) and a rep from Metal Crafters are interested in going as well to see it and maybe talk to us about the feasibility of converting one from scratch. I was in touch with ItalDesign and they threw away the mold and no longer have anything regarding the VX-O2 after they packed up and left SoCal. Bummer. That woulda made the conversion a LOT easier and cheaper. I hope to get an answer next week.

VCAMILO
05/03/2010, 12:08 PM
I'm up for another LA meet. I'm still in Phoenix and had a great time with the last big meet in Isuzu HQ back in 2002. I also just got an FJ Cruiser so the VX is ready to be chopped up and be converted into a VX-02. I only see myself doing it by spending up to 9k. I can put up plenty of elbow grease. Not really looking for a top as I would only use the VX on the weekend and at night. We don't really see much rain here in AZ anyways...

rickshaw
05/03/2010, 10:44 PM
Count me in for the 2nd annual Petersen Museum Meet. I had a great time last time.

rickshaw

Baldwin
05/11/2010, 07:23 PM
sorry..been busy and Petersen hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'll try to check with them again this week.

BigMeatVX
05/21/2010, 09:21 AM
Id also be interested in this meet, as I came very close to sawzalling my top off just last month....I've got an extra body tub to experament with hacking up...lol

Triathlete
05/21/2010, 01:32 PM
I'm up for another LA meet. I'm still in Phoenix and had a great time with the last big meet in Isuzu HQ back in 2002. I also just got an FJ Cruiser so the VX is ready to be chopped up and be converted into a VX-02. I only see myself doing it by spending up to 9k. I can put up plenty of elbow grease. Not really looking for a top as I would only use the VX on the weekend and at night. We don't really see much rain here in AZ anyways...

What are you going to drive there now?:bwgy:

WebbRacing.com
06/05/2010, 11:25 PM
I'd be interested as well. Keep us posted!

Scott

VCAMILO
05/12/2011, 02:52 PM
I get my VX back in two weeks. Im 100 % sure I want to chop it and hoping to get it done with less than 10k. I can have someone do the choping and body work. My buddy can do the welding. Then I can get a good speaker box guru to help out on the cover. Maybe it will take me a year... I have time patience. :-)

Triathlete
05/12/2011, 05:54 PM
Damn you Victor...2 weeks to late for Moab! ;)

twostep1n2
05/16/2011, 11:58 AM
Count me in for a LA meet. Been a few years since i've been to the petersen.

phil

Anita
05/16/2011, 11:40 PM
I'm in!!

nfpgasmask
05/17/2011, 09:09 AM
Well, I need to sort out my next LA Trip as well.

I am planning to go to this:

http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/

I would LOVE to have a visit at the museum during this time as well. I'll be driving the Impulse down (hopefully), all shiney and fresh outta my garage after a full engine refresh. Should be fun, and I would love to see some VXers at the show!

Bart