PDA

View Full Version : Noise after lift install

niv_d
08/20/2003, 08:09 PM
Finally last WKD I installed a new set of OME 912 springs, flipped the ball joints and cranked the torsion bars to add a few inches to my beloved VX. Thanks to the many posts here about where to buy and how to perform it all (and the detailed description about the ball joint flip from Planet Isuzu…) It all was finished in less then 3 hours utilizing a friend’s Body Shop (Having air tools makes life a lot easier :D ). HOWEVER, a few hours after I finished the lift, I noticed a strange grinding sound… took it to a mechanic on Sunday that thinks it’s coming from one of the bearings in the rear differential (I have less then 25k miles on my VX…). I will probably spend the coming WKD taking it all out to see if the noise continues and if it does, will probably go to the dealer next week.
Did any of you who have done this lift had this happen to him?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

SGT.BATGUANO
08/20/2003, 08:47 PM
The only thing I can think of that might be affected by the lift, in regards to the rear, is the driveshaft angle and U-joints. Before you tear it all apart again try greasing them.

I'm kinda partial to Mobil 1 synthetic grease.:)

niv_d
08/20/2003, 09:47 PM
FORGOT TO SAY that the noise comes on at any speed above 40 M/hr while stepping on the gas trying to maintain a constant speed (Ex. Cruise ctrl on …). It grows stronger at higher speeds and goes away while accelerating or no gas. Any thoughts?;eekb; ;eekb;

SGT.BATGUANO
08/20/2003, 09:57 PM
Are you positive the noise is coming from the rear differential?
It couldn't hurt to check the fluid level there also. Alot of folks have found greasing the u-joints cures mysterious VX noises. It's cheap. Try that first.

BBVX
08/22/2003, 05:28 PM
I've been lifted for almost a year now and and have not had any problems, and I know several owners have been lifted longer than I.
The only noise I get from the lift is when cruising on the highway at say 70, I take my foot off the gas and start to coast down to a slower speed, I get a slight growl from the front end. I attribute this to the new CV angle. Cranking the torsion bars causes the teeth inside the CV boot to mesh at a different angle and I suppose they come together differently when coasting (not receiving power).

No new noise coming from the rear, though. It could just be coincidence, stranger things have happened.

Good Luck!
Brian

niv_d
08/23/2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the inputs guys. Will try to grease the U joint and see if it helps…

Triathlete
08/23/2003, 08:38 PM
Spazz, Swordy or anyone else...
How far did you extend your bump stops? What did you use? I will be running 31's (till they wear out) but then will go with 32 or 33's. Will I need them with the 31's? I know its a bit off topic but didn't get an answer last time I asked. THANKS!!!

Triathlete
08/24/2003, 09:55 AM
:thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thanx: :thumbup: :thumbup:

TimG
08/25/2003, 10:20 AM
I have the EXACT same problem. Started hearing the noises soon after I installed the lift.

I haven't figured out what's making the noise yet.

TimG
08/25/2003, 12:44 PM
Well thanks SPAZZ. :)

Mine's been running with the noise since the weekend before Moab. Nothing bad has happened yet. I assume that at some point something will break and I'll be paying to fix something.

I did notice that when I had a load in the back, I couldn't hear the noise. I don't know if that was because the load was moving the back end closer to factory specs or if stuff I had back there was just an excellent sound absorber.

niv_d
08/26/2003, 07:35 AM
Spent the last WKD playing some one on one with the VX….
Greased the U-joint – noise still there.
Took everything apart and VX back to factory height – No noise.
Cranked the torsion bars only – No noise.
Installed springs - Noise back on board although not as load as before and starts only when cursing at 50MPH or faster.
I guess I’ll just leave it like that like you did TimG and finally go to get some big meats under there!
Oh and SPAZZ, I would stay at home for a few days and get as far away as I can from cars/roads if I were you…;Db; ;Db;

TimG
08/26/2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by niv_d
Spent the last WKD playing some one on one with the VX….
Greased the U-joint – noise still there.
Took everything apart and VX back to factory height – No noise.
Cranked the torsion bars only – No noise.
Installed springs - Noise back on board although not as load as before and starts only when cursing at 50MPH or faster.

That's good to know. So it's definetly related to ride height in the back.

I guess I’ll just leave it like that like you did TimG and finally go to get some big meats under there!

I not recommending this solution. I just did this because I'm lazy, not good at working on my VX (took me 3 times as long to install my lift), and I don't have time/money to take it to a mechanic right now. :(

AREA 51
08/26/2003, 09:01 AM
One quick suggestion:

Try dropping the front a little (an inch or so). In stock form the front end is a little lower than the rear. Maybe that little correction of the driveline angles will cure the noise problem. If you try this, be sure to post the results.