PDA

View Full Version : Debadging

RYANNEUMAN
08/20/2003, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys for the information I got regarding my shocks
on my new ride a 2000 ebony vx. I ended up putting Rancho
9000 adjustables on it. They rock (not literally).

I have seen alot of pictures of vx's with the isuzu label
taken off the back. Is there any trick to taking that off?
Does it come off easy?

Ryan-Grand Rapids

andy454
08/20/2003, 09:27 AM
I used dental floss to take mine off. After they were removed I used a clay bar to clean up and then some scratch X to take any haze off. Before using the scratch X you could still see where the badges were due to fading around them.

Raque Thomas
08/20/2003, 10:01 AM
Ryan - I had my rear badge removed by a body shop for $25. Black is pretty easy to scratch, so I decided to go the safe/easy way. They said they used a heat gun and the letters came off very easily, they then buffed the rear door, adn the job was complete in 45 min.

SCUDD
08/20/2003, 10:20 AM
Using a hairdryer to heat the decals a little makes them come off really easy.

Navigator
08/20/2003, 01:43 PM
100+ degree heat with matching humidity helped me peel my ISUZU's off with my bare hands. Bug & Tar remover got rid of the excess adhesive. No ghosts on mine, besides I used a "B Pilar" VehiCROSS decal to fill the void.

kpaske
08/20/2003, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I peeled mine off by hand on a nice warm day - no problem at all. I do have the ghost image, but I'm going to try some scratch-X and see if that gets it off.

Raque Thomas
08/20/2003, 05:49 PM
Hate to sound stupid - but what is an A frame Vehicross decal? Mine looks a little "naked" back there since I took the Isuzu off - trying to come up with something else to put there:wtfr2:

SGT.BATGUANO
08/20/2003, 08:57 PM
Blow dryer, fingernail, patience, mineral spirits, 3M glaze, wax.

Navigator
08/21/2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by raquethomas
Hate to sound stupid - but what is an A frame Vehicross decal? Mine looks a little "naked" back there since I took the Isuzu off - trying to come up with something else to put there:wtfr2:

It's the word "VehiCROSS" in chrome and red lettering found in the area behind the passenger doors between the two rear windows.

My bad, I was thinking B-Pilar and typed A-Frame... go figure :D

RYANNEUMAN
08/21/2003, 07:07 PM
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK. SINCE IT HAS BEEN A STEAMBATH
AROUND HERE LATELY, I JUST TOOK SOME FLOSS AND IT CAME
RIGHT OFF. WITH A COMBINATION OF BUG TAR REMOVER AND
SOME TURTLE WAX, THE DECALS CAME RIGHT OFF WITH NO
"GHOSTS" FOR SOME REASON THAT HUUUUGGGE "ISUZU"
LABEL WAS DRIVING ME CRAZY. I LIKE THE NEW LOOK.

RYAN

rainee25
05/19/2004, 08:02 PM
Scary.......I debadged the sides so far, and it scared me at first because I didn't think I would like it. It's not bad though. I do have the ghost effect on one side, and on the other ( I just started noticing things and my car a definately been wrecked and repainted, who ever put the car back together did not do a good job) anyways looks as thought they clear coated over the VehiCROSS on the passenger side and also took a razorblade to outline the badge so it looks as though the VehiCROSS is still sketched on the side.....DON"T know how to smooth that out!!!!! HELP!! ;eekr; ;eekb; ;eekg;

Anita
05/20/2004, 10:57 AM
Finally after all these years, I think I am FINALLY ready to debadge the ebony. :clap: But I have a couple questions about it.

Does debadging affect it sellability? (dont worry, Im not selling)

Can I re-badge it without problems?

After debadging, I want to buy wheels like Gary's, CF from Joe, a grill like VCamilo's, lots o stuff from Ron, and more and more.

Oh, a side comment: I managed to rack up a traffic ticket (going to court to fight it), and all that darn officer could do was drool about the truck while writing me up. "What is it?", "Really looks cool", "What year is it", " Is it 4 wheel drive?", "Gone off-road in it?", "Have a nice day and love your truck"

geshaw30
05/20/2004, 12:35 PM
Go attack it Anita!! Rip them stickers off!! Keep the public guessing.

I'm not sure about their removal affecting sale price but you're not gonna get rid of her anyway. I would think that reapplying the badges would not be all that hard but finding a new set might be.

Years ago I took off, the grill badge, the one on the rear door, the "3." from the "3.5" and the Isuzu on the rims. The VehiCross on the side panel still remains. The only thing different from your's and mine is the badges on the rims only come off '99 models- don't attempt this on a '00 or '01!

If I were you my only concern would be, after all this time, the ghost. I was armed with a clay bar just in case but didn't really need it on the light silver paint. A slight ghost was on the back door of mine but quickly disappeared after several cleanings and waxings.
________
Bondage Spanking (http://www.****tube.com/categories/403/spanking/videos/1)

WormGod
05/20/2004, 02:45 PM
Good choice in wheels Anita! ;) Pretty and easy to clean.

geshaw, I have gotten 3 tickets since I have had a VX and on ALL of them, under vihicle info, all they ever write is "2001 Isuzu SUV". The magic of debadging. ;)

Debadging has never hampered the resale of any car I ever had. I don't of any actual appraisal liabilities with debadging, but never a problem. No dealer has ever even questioned it when trading in.

omegavx
05/20/2004, 02:49 PM
I debaged mine almost as soon as I got it. But, I always wondered what I'd tell the cops if it ever got stolen. I mean, even with the badges you tell people what it is and they say "huh". So, how in the world would they find it without them. I've thought about keeping a photo in my wallet just incase they need a "missing truck" photo to circulate :)

WormGod
05/20/2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Navigator
It's the word "VehiCROSS" in chrome and red lettering found in the area behind the passenger doors between the two rear windows.

My bad, I was thinking B-Pilar and typed A-Frame... go figure :D

Also known as a mid sail.

Front supports are generally known as forward pillars, frontal sails, or a-pillars.

Midway body supports generally known as mid sails or central pillars (c-pillars).

Rear supports generally known as rear sails or rear pillars r-pillars).

Just felt like flexing the autobody tech muscles in me. ;)

AlaskaVX
05/20/2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by WormGod
I have gotten 3 tickets since I have had a VX and on ALL of them, under vihicle info, all they ever write is "2001 Isuzu SUV". The magic of debadging. ;)
LOL! I got a ticket written for a "NASA SUV"

Originally posted by omegavx
But, I always wondered what I'd tell the cops if it ever got stolen
It's that crazy SUV you guys always pull over! ;) Or rebadge with something else, like I did "NASA".

VXR
01/05/2005, 08:17 PM
I just pulled it off by hand. Then used a cleaner wax to remove any residue. No ghost image, no problems. Trouble-free...

thebear54
01/06/2005, 06:07 AM
Kinda torn between DeBadging...or not!
If I did...then I would have to expound this long disortation on what the hell I am driving, etc., etc., etc.,yada, yada,yada when I take the car to shows.
Now, I just let them read the badges. The replacement decals are still available through Isuzu..but not cheap! Still...I'll keep mine on :nuke:
John

crager34
01/06/2005, 06:50 AM
I had my VX for a year badged and still got questions. Now I just picked up VXMAN's and it is de-badged... I like the annonimity of it... kinda stealthy in a way. But I am 50-50 on it... looks good both ways. :flame:

Maugan_VX
01/06/2005, 12:55 PM
I have all my badges and haven't gotten a ticket ...

hrmph.

Raque Thomas
01/06/2005, 03:53 PM
I have all my badges and haven't gotten a ticket ...

hrmph.

I too have all my badges (except they say Maserati)....and I haven't gotten a ticket either.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm....... :flame:

Tyler
01/07/2005, 05:31 AM
I havent debaged mine (yet) and got asked yesterday if its the new Hyundai Tucson. I proudly said, nope, its a 99 Isuzu VX..........and the rest of the VX story. I knew they had a new SUV but wasnt sure what it looked like so I had to look this thing up and low and behold it does have some styling cues from the VX. Front circular driving lights, headlights, cladding. Now if they made a "Hyundai" emblem that was magnetic to fool the Hyundai mechanics into there 10 year 100,000 mile warranty..............

Bill Brown
01/07/2005, 09:57 PM
I debaged mine almost as soon as I got it. But, I always wondered what I'd tell the cops if it ever got stolen. I mean, even with the badges you tell people what it is and they say "huh". So, how in the world would they find it without them. I've thought about keeping a photo in my wallet just incase they need a "missing truck" photo to circulate :)
In this neck of the woods (Middle California), I have seen only one other VX during the 1 1/2 years I've been here. I suspect the Proton was just passing through because I never saw it again. It crossed my mind what I'd say to police if my partially debadged Ironman had just been stolen. "It's a black and white '99 Isuzu Vehicross, a futuristic looking 3-door sport-car SUV." I continue to have strangers walk up to me in parking lots asking about this new model vehicle they'd never seen before. I kept my "Vehicross" side badges, but removed the large ISUZU off the back door and "Ironman" off the hood the day I bought it. I got annoyed with the "Ironman" shadow and painted the hood insert a no-gloss flat black.