PDA

View Full Version : Uwharrie 2010 isuzu meet pics

Marlin
04/11/2010, 07:00 PM
Well, it was a trip full of carnage. I busted two CVs, a superwinch hub, we rolled a rodeo, 3 other trucks busted cvs and a few other problems. I have become quite the expert cv replacer now.
The front aussie locker is no joke, and makes the VX really go anywhere. I can't believe I waited this long to do it. The CVs I broke were aftermarket ones from Ebay. For the normal wheeler, open front diff, they would be just fine, but they are not up to the job for a locked diff. They broke behind the splines at the outer spindle just inside the hub. When the 2nd one snapped, it pushed the guts of the Hub out. No worries, time to hit the junkyard to score some spare CVs. Yippee!!!!
Here are a few pics, I have videos loading.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Uwharrie%202010/IMGP0893.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Uwharrie%202010/IMGP0896.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Uwharrie%202010/IMGP0905.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Uwharrie%202010/IMGP0910.jpg

phines
04/11/2010, 09:43 PM
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. I had some problems there last year as well. I busted the power steering line right around the corner from that mud pit. That's where I tested out my Aussie Lockers too. They were awesome in that terrain... I hope they work as well on the Moab terrain in a few weeks. Steering could be a little difficult. :)
________
Blonde Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/blonde-girls/)

nfpgasmask
04/12/2010, 09:39 AM
Marlin, let me ask you, did the CVs break when you were doing some very rough stuff? Like one tire binded up somewhere with the other one spinning?

I've been considering a front Aussie for my Trooper, but CV breakage has been a concern of mine. Do you think "hard" wheeling is what did it or was it simple the fact that you had a locker up front?

Sounds like you had some real fun. :)

Bart

vt_maverick
04/12/2010, 10:38 AM
Threads like this are what make me scared to do serious offroading. :p Seriously though, great pics, and we all gain from the knowledge you bring back from these massacres. :)

ZEUS
04/12/2010, 10:44 AM
Threads like this are what make me scared to do serious offroading in a VX. :)FIXED IT FOR YA!

tomdietrying
04/12/2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the pics!!!!! Looks like a lot of fun and a little heartbreak thrown in.
Peace.
Tom

Marlin
04/12/2010, 11:00 AM
Marlin, let me ask you, did the CVs break when you were doing some very rough stuff? Like one tire binded up somewhere with the other one spinning?

I've been considering a front Aussie for my Trooper, but CV breakage has been a concern of mine. Do you think "hard" wheeling is what did it or was it simple the fact that you had a locker up front?

Sounds like you had some real fun. :)

Bart

The 1st broke while I had the passenger tire on a ledge. I was barely moving and it snapped. no tire spinning, that is not my style. The second break I have no idea. Didn't know it was broke till I got to camp and on the pavement I didn't hear the aussie clicking. That is when I noticed the hub. There was a spot where I was hung up, and had some spinning tires, probably happened then. Not sure. I ran every trail in Uwharrie, burned almost 1.5 tanks of gas. I would say I was "hard" wheeling. Definitely more than anything I did in Moab last year.

Marlin
04/12/2010, 11:09 AM
Here are some videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcOISBTO06s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr6mKFsPLJo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4GanswddKg

BigSwede
04/12/2010, 12:32 PM
Bart, I am fairly convinced that OEM (junkyard) CVs are stronger than aftermarket, and certainly stronger than rebuilts. Plus, I know they will fit in the cup so I can just swap the outer CV, which usually is what breaks.

I have only broken 2 CVs in almost 3 years. One was a full throttle charge up a hill in deep snow, found myself suddenly airborne and when I landed (foot still firmly on the skinny pedal) one of the inner joints exploded. The other was climbing a staircase on Golden Spike, the ledge was a little undercut and I had all the stress on one wheel.

With a little common sense avoidance of suddenly dropping rapidly spinning tires onto traction (a locker actually helps avoid this), and picking a better line that shared the climbing burden between the wheels, both breaks could have been avoided.

But even if you do break a CV, at least around here I can get junkyard CVs for $40 off the vehicle, and to change an outer only takes an hour, so not a big deal anyway.

Marlin, you should have come with us on Moab Rim and Cliffhanger if you wanted more challenge in Moab...

Marlin
04/12/2010, 12:37 PM
Marlin, you should have come with us on Moab Rim and Cliffhanger if you wanted more challenge in Moab...

I wish I could come out there again. Joe D has a 94 Trooper RS for sale right now. 80K miles, new transmission he is putting in and timing belt and tensioner. I am seriously considering it.

BigSwede
04/12/2010, 01:14 PM
Wow, that's low miles...but except for the head room, that's pretty much what you've got already, isn't it? Same wheelbase, suspension, axles. Is it auto or manual?

An RS does have a lot more room to stow a spare tire though...

Marlin
04/12/2010, 01:21 PM
Wow, that's low miles...but except for the head room, that's pretty much what you've got already, isn't it? Same wheelbase, suspension, axles. Is it auto or manual?

An RS does have a lot more room to stow a spare tire though...

Its an auto. If I am not mistaken, there are even fewer of those than VXs in the US.
What started all this is that the wife wants a VX. I told her no way. But since the RS is pretty much the same, affordable, and a lot more room for the kids. A lot more practical for wheeling, would fit our needs quite nicely. I would put the VX locker into the RS, wheel the RS and daily drive the VX. Swap my MTR kevlars over and go back to General AT2s on the VX. It would be quite doable for us. Then we could wheel both trucks if we really wanted to, but not a requirement.
We are also looking for a small popup camper. Van just picked up an amazing little Fleetwood. Its about 4x6 as a trailer and weighs only 900lbs. I could tow that behind the flatbed trailer, and move it around by hand when reversing, or I could even squeeze it on the trailer with the VX.

BigSwede
04/12/2010, 01:45 PM
Sounds like a plan.

nfpgasmask
04/12/2010, 02:52 PM
I would say I was "hard" wheeling. Definitely more than anything I did in Moab last year.

REALLY?!?!? From the pics, I wouldn't have guessed. Honestly, it looks like those trails are just dirt roads with ruts and stuff. So, it was harder than Moab? Was it because of mud or are there a lot of rock obstacles and such?

Just curious about those trails.

I think I am going to start with an Aussie in the rear, and go back to a couple spots where my Trooper got hung up, and see if the locker helps in those spots. If I still have trouble, then I will lock up the front and hope for the best. :)

Bart

ZEUS
04/12/2010, 03:08 PM
Bart, you don't need a front locker in most scenarios and I am personally against a full time front locker for something that sees street use... especially during winter storms. I think you would be content with just the rear locker.

nfpgasmask
04/12/2010, 03:26 PM
Bart, you don't need a front locker in most scenarios and I am personally against a full time front locker for something that sees street use... especially during winter storms. I think you would be content with just the rear locker.

Winter storms are actually more of a concern for me than the CV issue. We have months of snow and TERRIBLE road conditions here and the last thing I want to do is make my 4WD more of a problem than a help in the winter. :)

Bart

Marlin
04/12/2010, 05:08 PM
REALLY?!?!? From the pics, I wouldn't have guessed. Honestly, it looks like those trails are just dirt roads with ruts and stuff. So, it was harder than Moab? Was it because of mud or are there a lot of rock obstacles and such?

Bart

The trails are all rock and mud, no slick rock there, lots of tire shredders. If it rains, some trails become all but impossible. The ledges are really just wash outs on the side of a mountain. Based on my experience on Poison Spider, Kane Creek, Fins and things, and whatever the super long trail with again and again was, those trails are all pretty consistent. I know there are harder trails at Moab than what I did. I am just saying the potential carnage at Uwharrie seems harder. Kane Creek seems the closest to what Uwharrie is like. Gravel, wash outs and so on. Minimal bypasses, loose traction, and a ton of trees. Problem is that it is a small park. I did every trail multiple times over a few days. But since it is only a few hours away, its all I got.
As for the locker ordeal, I am not touching the rear. My LSD looks and performs a lot like a locker if you watch my truck on the videos. I am lucky I think. My clutch packs must still be in great shape.
Furthermore, our rear flex is so good on the VX that the rear wheels usually stay on the ground while the front flex is abysmal at best, stupid IFS.
So IMHO, the front locker with manual hubs is the way to go on a daily driver trail truck. But what do I know, I have an ugly bumper on the front of my truck;)

nfpgasmask
04/12/2010, 05:46 PM
I have an ugly bumper on the front of my truck;)

I was gonna ask you what the hell that thing is... :laughing:

Thanks - Bart