PDA

View Full Version : Need info

Doctor7474
04/10/2010, 02:44 PM
Hey guys my name is Doc and I've got a couple questions.

I am in search of a new off-road vehicle and thought of the VX, just wondering if someone could point me in a direction or some links to see if this is the correct vehicle for me or not.

First some info about myself. I'm 33, avid off-roader, ASE master tech, I-car Platinum body repair and paint certified so I should be able to understand the most technical jargon. I've worked for Ford, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, and Land Rover as a technician, I am now currently employed by a large insurance company as a claims adjuster. So if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.

I've owned several off-roaders in my time. 2 4wd Rangers, a Range Rover classic, and an 06 Wrangler Rubicon. I'm now in a hunt for a new one and want something off the radar to build so I thought of the VehiCROSS.

Couple thing's I like about the vehicle are that it's 2 door, different looking, and full framed.

Main thing I'm kind of adverse to is the IFS.

Things I don't know much about and am asking for help finding out about:

TOD what is it, how exactly does it work (in depth technical)

What rear axle is in the vehicle (Mfg and model)

Anyone ever put a solid axle in the front of one?

Anyone have any technical articles on the front steering, I assume it's rack and pinion.

What transfer case is in it? Is it a transfer case or a center diff like Land Rovers and many AWD vehicles run?

What are all the different packages that were avail?

What are the differences in the Ironman's Astral's ect....? Edit: I see now different colors not packages....

Thanks for taking the time! Doc!

Doctor7474
04/10/2010, 02:53 PM
OK well I think I found my answer to the TOD question via this thread:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17667

So I take it the VX has an open front diff and a limited slip rear diff. The TOD system is basically a electronic center diff that direct's the torque to either the front or rear of the vehicle depending on drive shaft speed sensors detecting the slip.

Also from that thread answered my transfer case question, it's a center diff with electronic limited slip. But when put into 4wd low it locks the center diff to split torque 50/50 front and rear with no slip.

So in 4wd high the vehicle is basically like an AWD rear wheel drive biased vehicle.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

don moore
04/10/2010, 04:56 PM
GOOGLE....:work:

Ldub
04/12/2010, 03:54 AM
OK well I think I found my answer to the TOD question via this thread:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17667

So I take it the VX has an open front diff and a limited slip rear diff. The TOD system is basically a electronic center diff that direct's the torque to either the front or rear of the vehicle depending on drive shaft speed sensors detecting the slip.

Also from that thread answered my transfer case question, it's a center diff with electronic limited slip. But when put into 4wd low it locks the center diff to split torque 50/50 front and rear with no slip.

So in 4wd high the vehicle is basically like an AWD rear wheel drive biased vehicle.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

That sounds right to me Doc...:yesgray:

Welcome to the forums...:yes:

Triathlete
04/12/2010, 10:05 AM
Rear axle is a 12 bolt with limited slip. Lockers are available for both the front and rear axles.
There is a current thread where member "Ascender" is in the work of putting a 60/14 bolt in his VX along with a drivetrain swap.
Other front axle swap option is the Dana 44 from a 78-79 waggy...passenger drop and the correct width to match our rear 12 bolt.
Here is the info on the steering...

The Vehicross uses a recirculating ball type steering box, along with a vaiable-assist power unit. This provides the VehiCROSS with smooth accurate steering but, minimizes the potential to have the wheel jerked out of your hand when driving on rough pavement or off-roading.

Steering Ratio = 20.1:1

Turning circle = 34.1ft (Curb to curb)

Other VX specs can be found HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia&op=viewcategory&cid=2)

ZEUS
04/12/2010, 11:06 AM
To me, the VX is a poor choice for an offroad vehicle, if that is what you are after. Don't get me wrong, it does really well for a stock vehicle and does even better with a small lift and taller tires. But it is a VERY limited platform to build from IMHO.

Negatives:
Outward visibility straight up sucks.
The wheelbase is a bit short for ascents and descents.
IFS does not flex well.
The tranny is weak.
CV's are weak.
Parts are hard to come by.

Positives:
Unique.
Wheelbase works great for ledges and maneuverability.
Low slung which helps compensate for the lack of wheelbase.
Rear linked and coiled axle flexes great.
Seats are comfortable.
Fun to own and drive and wheel.

With all that said, several people here have a great time wheeling their VehiCri, me included, but as a trail rig, it's easy to find something better but hard to find something as unique. Good luck!

zukicon
04/13/2010, 08:30 AM
ZUES, well said.

BigSwede
04/13/2010, 02:46 PM
At least you don't have to swap out most of the drivetrain to wheel it, unlike a standard Jeep...

ZEUS
04/13/2010, 03:43 PM
That's not true.

BigSwede
04/13/2010, 06:23 PM
Really? How many Wranglers you see wheeling 35s on stock axles, like I am? A Dana 35 is very marginal for this. Whereas the Isuzu 12-bolt can handle this easily. Or stock driveshafts, u-joints, axle link mounts? Unless you start with a Rubicon, you have to upgrade most of these, too. And that's just a start. The frames on an Isuzu are fully boxed, Jeeps are not. A lot of reinforcement is needed if you get serious.

Anyway, this is not intended to be a flame war on Jeeps, but there is reason some folks say Jeep stands for Just Exchange Every Part - then you're Trail Ready.

ZEUS
04/14/2010, 08:48 AM
Anyway... one positive I left out is how cheap and easy it is to lift a VX high enough to fit 31"s or 32"s or 33"s - good drivers don't need anything more than a 33" to 'wheel... in my experience. :bgwo: