PDA

View Full Version : She Bangs...

Navigator
08/20/2003, 08:21 AM
...The transmission bangs that is, shifting from DRIVE to REVERSE, she bangs. Got a 1pm appointment at AAMCO, who BTW accepts extended warranty work, and is offering "FREE" external diagnostics to all who log onto www.aamco.com and fill out their questionaire. A $79 value for a minute of Q/A :D I'll keep you all posted of my findings.

Fluids done premature at 22,500, I baby the heck out of my VX, so I have no idea. Can hardly wait to get my baby back to 100% bang free. Any ideas guys? :wtfg:

Navigator
08/20/2003, 01:30 PM
...But according to AAMCO "something" in the drive train is bangin'. Oh well, made an appointment with "THE DEALER". C'mon guys this can't be the first VX with this issue, what can it be?

BTW she shifts smooth on the road, no slipping or noises. The problem is only when parking and going from forward to backward.

Joe_Black
08/20/2003, 01:38 PM
Every auto-tranny Trooper and my VX all have a distinct CLUNK from the driveline, usually after a stop. I used to know what it was but have since forgotten when I found it was normal.

If just in reverse then it sounds like u-joints or maybe flanges are worn or loose.

Navigator
08/20/2003, 01:48 PM
I just found, and lubed the 3 U joint/propeler zerks a few weeks ago. is there a special grease required? I used standard lithium mineral based product.

andy454
08/20/2003, 02:21 PM
The highest line pressure available in the trans is during reverse. Perhaps the mode switch is not seeing the transfer. I would have tha shop hook up a pressure gauge and monitor during the shift.

psychos2
08/20/2003, 02:56 PM
mine made a clunk when put in reverse.i thought i had a problem,took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. they had 2 other vx's that sounded just like mine.i listened to both ,and they did sound just like mine. shawn

VXD959
08/20/2003, 04:50 PM
Navigator -

Check the fluids. I had the same problem when changing the transmission fluid. It just needed another quart.

Hope this helps.

Navigator
08/26/2003, 11:33 AM
Got a false fill indication during my last change. VX was not on level ground and it does matter. Got her back in smooth operation now. Dang denial had me looking everywhere but the obvious :D Thanks guys.

itsaysjack
08/26/2003, 01:34 PM
i have the same "bang" when shifting. it's more severe if i am on an incline. i took it to the dealer and they also said this was normal.

seems like the vx has alot of normal "bangs"

Anita
08/26/2003, 01:54 PM
I have never heard that "banging" is normal in shifting. We have talked about the "clunk" which usually appears after stopping and lifting off the brake. Many of us experienced banging (a harsh jerk) due to a mode switch going out.

A "bang" sounds too severe for regular shifting. It sounds like your service rep doesnt want to deal with a problem. I would take your VX to another service for a second opinion just to be safe.
;Dr;

WyrreJ
08/26/2003, 05:04 PM
I park on an uphill incline everyday (my driveway) and I've never heard a bang since I bought the VX over 6 months ago.