PDA

View Full Version : Cladding replacment/repair

89Vette
04/09/2010, 11:10 AM
How hard would it be to find a replacement piece for the front cladding? I know of one where they've got a hole from a tree-branch (poked into it). There's about a 1.5" hole now.

I suggested that plastic repair might work too, but obviously would be hard to get colored right to match rest of (weathered) cladding color.

I also suggested that all the cladding could be repainted after repair -- but wasn't sure how well paint will stick -- even with flex agent added.

Gregg

vt_maverick
04/09/2010, 11:28 AM
There's a company that makes aftermarket cladding, but I can't recall who - do a Google search for VehiCROSS bumper and I think you'll find it. Members who've used it report that the texture is a bit different than OEM, which you can tell only up close. If you're interested in having the cladding match (both texture and sun fading) junk yards post them pretty regularly on eBay. You just have to look EVERY day and call as soon as you see anything off a wrecked VX for sale (because others will call the yard directly to ask about a specific part even if it's not for sale yet).

Good luck and happy hunting! :thumbup:

Mile High VX
04/09/2010, 11:34 AM
I think the product you're thinking of is the Gatorback Coating...

I've been thinking about it for mine...come in three shades of blackish-grey...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

dietz99vcross
04/09/2010, 12:45 PM
Or is that greyish black

tom4bren
04/09/2010, 12:57 PM
Another option after repairing is LineX. There are several people who have done this - it's just a matter of whether you want the rough texture. At least the cladding won't fade any more.

VX KAT
04/09/2010, 01:20 PM
How hard would it be to find a replacement piece for the front cladding?
Gregg

Asked & answered....
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=186469&postcount=31
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=185994&postcount=2

Here's the aftermarket cladding:
http://www.partsultimate.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=141005

89Vette
04/09/2010, 07:42 PM
I think the product you're thinking of is the Gatorback Coating...

I've been thinking about it for mine...come in three shades of blackish-grey...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

I'm not sure who/what statement this is in response to? Is Gatorback coating something to spray/put ON the cladding to refinish, retexture, or otherwise recolor it?

FYI: The reason for these specific questions is that I (finally) found a VX close enough for me to go look at -- and consider buying! The only problem, according to the seller, is a hole in the front bumper.

I'm trying to figure out how much to negotiate over this particular problem -- and wanted to make SURE I could find a replacement bumper with relative ease. FWIW, I also called one of the Isuzu parts distributors (in WA) and found they have 20 bumper covers left (@ $405 + s/h).

No matter what the cladding is replaced with, there'll also be an issue of color/texture match. (But I wouldn't mind darkening the cladding -- on an Ebony -- as a visual change anyway. Not sure if "Forever Black" dye, paint, or another method would be best.)

Obviously, I'll post back this weekend to let you know IF I'm going to become part of the VX insanity!

gp

Mile High VX
04/09/2010, 08:32 PM
It's a restore/recolor product...

http://www.gatorbackcoatings.com/home.htm

spitfire5454
04/09/2010, 09:47 PM
Another option after repairing is LineX. There are several people who have done this - it's just a matter of whether you want the rough texture. At least the cladding won't fade any more.

i did this. i was tired of the upkeep with cladding so i herculined the cladding and hood insert. Cost about 160$. i was worried about the texture, but man, does it look good. Best mod i ever did (besides the supercharger). There is a UV protectent coat i put on top as well, to keep it from fading. Best part, is that if a rock chips a piece off, i just dab a little more on, covers it perfectly. i never have to worry about cladding scratches, and if something does happen, it is 100% repairable. pretty much bullet broof. HINT: if you do it, Spray it, dont use a roller. it gives an undeniable proffesional look.

89Vette
04/09/2010, 09:53 PM
I wonder if that Gatorback coating really differs from spray-on vinyl/plastic paint that you can find in most automotive paint stores. (It's the kind of paint used to "dye" or redye interiors on older cars where replacement parts might no longer be available.

The product looks good, but because it's painted on, I wonder what peeling issues might surface down the road?

Mile High VX
04/10/2010, 06:23 AM
Don't really know the answer to that. Gatorback comes in spray as well as roller applications.

I wonder if that Gatorback coating really differs from spray-on vinyl/plastic paint that you can find in most automotive paint stores. (It's the kind of paint used to "dye" or redye interiors on older cars where replacement parts might no longer be available.

The product looks good, but because it's painted on, I wonder what peeling issues might surface down the road?