PDA

View Full Version : Help with wanting to by a VX

r2m
04/03/2010, 12:19 PM
First off, I have fallen in LOVE with VX’s!!!
I’ve built myself an expedition vehicle once already (F350 crewcab), now I’ve been looking at LX450/Lancruisers (1996/97, 80 series), but then at a 4 Wheel Parts store I saw a VX in the parking lot. WOW!!! Did some research on them and they still seem to fill my basic desires of my want list of what I need in an expedition vehicle.
But…. I have a few questions that I can’t seem to fine answers to.
Can anyone please help?
1. Is there an Akilies Heel to the VX, and if so what is it? (e.g. engine, trany, difs, ground clearance, no parts at available at dealerships, or very expensive parts, etc.)
2. How high a lift/large of tire will fit for maximum articulation whilst off-roading? (read: expedition type rock crawling to get to ones camp site)
3. Does the TOD supplement the need to have lockers front and rear? I think I’ve read that the VX has an LSD, if so, does that mean the front dif is open and needs a locker (ARB or??)?
4. Is it possible to add an underdrive/second transfer case or perhaps swap out lower transfer case gears?
5. I’m 6’-0” 220lbs and a bad knee (I need to be able to stretch my leg out once in a while), will I fit?
6. How reliable is the drive train? I’m used to Toyotas, my wife has a 98 Landcruiser 225k miles, my daughter has a 1st gen 4Runner 230k miles and since I rolled my F350, I’m stuck driving a ’89 Toyota 275k miles p/u that I added lockers to and I never have (or had) to do anything to them, and we go wheeling with them too.

Thanks for any input!
Happy Easter!!!!
R2M

geshaw30
04/03/2010, 02:11 PM
You can find answers to every possible question you might have by running them through the "search" function here. Every nut & bolt has been analyzed and commented on. The only one you might not find an answer to is #5. I can tell you that I too am 6'00 and weigh 220 (got good knees though) and have no issues with comfort. There is an retractable insert that extends out from the Ricaro seat that would give your knee some additional support.

I'm considering parting with my '99 Astral (88k) at a $9000 firm price. Not real anxious but might sell it to the right buyer.

r2m
04/03/2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info, but right now, I'm in the "research" mode (read: still getting the cash together).
Thanks also for the "for sale" offer, but I'm leaning toward black, yellow or white.

BTW just for kicks, any comments about how a VX stacks up to 80 series Landcruiser?? More refering to trail ability than size or load capacity.

Triathlete
04/03/2010, 02:55 PM
Short answers to your questions...
1. Fixable window issue, high oil burn rate on SOME, some parts becoming harder to find, nearly no aftermarket

2.You can cheaply and reliably get 3-4 inches if lift without major custom modification. 32-33 inch tires can be fit fairly easily with some trimming. Some have managed to shoehorn 35-36 inchers.

3.TOD is only a 4hi (full time) function that allows the t-case to transfer power automatically to the front when the rear slips. The front dif is open and the rear is limited slip. An ARB and Aussie is available for the front/rear.

4. No underdrive or dual cases are available for our t-case. I am sure a custom set up can be achieved if you have the $$$ and knowledge.
Stock gearing is 4.30:1 in difs, 2.86:1 tranny in 1st and 2.48:1 t-case in 4lo.

5. At 5'7 150lbs I fit comfy...I'll have to let the vertically unchallenged answer tis one.

6. With proper maintanence Zu engines are very reliable. I have over 130k on mine and a few other members have even more. On the Planet Zu site there are many Troopers with over 250k on them.

Also do a search on Moab...lots of pics to show how capable the VX is!

Hope this helps and good luck.

r2m
04/03/2010, 03:19 PM
Great info Billy, but not sure what you mean about the "window". Is it the lift, or sealing? "A" pillar wind noise? Or are you referring to the rear and the lack of view?
Are the dif's common to other Isuzu's as far as re gearing? I guess I'm showing my ignorance of all things Isuzu.
On that same note, what might be other common parts, e.g. drive line components, suspension components, etc. Although I have found that 912 springs from a Trooper (I was originally thinking Porsche 912, figured it out) work for a lift.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

BTW where to you Tri at?
I used to also, here in south Orange County, CA.

Thanks!
R2M

Triathlete
04/03/2010, 03:31 PM
The window issue is the plastic clips that hold the glass break. A member here (SBC) makes metalk replacements.
We share a lot of driveline components with the Trooper RS. There are a few options for dif gears for the VX however they are becoming harder to find. A good source of parts and info is Independant 4x.

As far as triathlon, I have raced all over the west...Arizona, Cal, Utah, Texas, Idaho,...
I will be down in Coronado to race next weekend. Going to hopefully have a little get together Sat afternoon at Silver Strand beach (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17628)if you want to check out a few VXs. Feel free to come on down and introduce yourself!