PDA

View Full Version : Undercarriage LED lights

Marlin
03/31/2010, 03:01 PM
Well, finally got off my lazy arse and installed the undercarriage LEDs. I have had them for a few months now. It was 80 degrees and sunny today, so perfect weather for an install. Right now, the lights are ziptied in place pending darkness to check out the light pattern. I ended up installing the side lights above the sliders, nice and protected. The rear light tucked into the hitch/gas tank skidplate intersection quite nicely. The only problem was the front one. It is sitting on top of the frame right under the radiator cross member. A little high, but well protected. The glory of these lights is that I left plenty of slack for them to be utilized as LED droplights. I now have a "droplight" on every quadrant of the vehicle. Granted they are yellow, but that will work fine for night visibility if you have to change a tire, or do minor repairs. I will post some pics after dark. I did play with the lights, there is ZERO spotting. Even if you put it flush with the floor, no spots.

Marlin
03/31/2010, 05:15 PM
This came out 10 times better than I ever thought it would!!!! I was afraid with it being so high off the ground that it wouldn't look bright enough, boy was I wrong. As you can see, no spotting whatsoever. I am quite pleased with myself:rolleyes: Sorry if the pics are blurry, no flash nightshot with shaky hands =blurry. It was a clean install, you can't see the tubes outside the vehicle. I hate when I see cars and you can see the tubes, its just tacky. I know I am acting like a teenager, neons were a big deal in the mid 90s, I am bringing it back, only no stupid glass neon lights that are fragile, need transformers and are finicky when its cold. These use very little current, plastic tubes, and don't care what the temp is. I RTVed all of the tube ends and wire penetrations to increase their water resistance. This only cost me somewhere around 50 bucks on Ebay.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0889.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0885.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0890.jpg

So-CalVX
03/31/2010, 05:29 PM
LOVE IT!!!

i've been planning a similar set up for brake and turn signals... obviously red in the back and a yellow on each side

love how ur truck is coming along... looks great

samneil2000
03/31/2010, 08:35 PM
I dig it!

etlsport
03/31/2010, 08:45 PM
cool! ive been thinking about doing some and wiring them in with the dome light so they light up only when i use the remote and when the doors are open

WormGod
04/01/2010, 07:36 AM
Sorry Marlin, I just has to do this considering I am also from the tuner scene....

http://arikia.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/facepalm1.jpg

Remember, my opinion should mean !@#$ to you, so rock on with your bad self. ;)

pbkid
04/01/2010, 10:06 AM
Chris, call em rock lights. Lots of nite time wheelers put neon under their ride for trail repairs at night.
Even some of the offroad parts sites are selling undercarriage lights. Like I said, rock lights. :)

Marlin
04/01/2010, 12:08 PM
Chris, call em rock lights. Lots of nite time wheelers put neon under their ride for trail repairs at night.
Even some of the offroad parts sites are selling undercarriage lights. Like I said, rock lights. :)

Damn, I thought I came up with something original....*sigh* someone always one step ahead of me. Well, I now have "rock lights" under my truck:)

Marlin
04/01/2010, 12:10 PM
Sorry Marlin, I just has to do this considering I am also from the tuner scene....

Remember, my opinion should mean !@#$ to you, so rock on with your bad self. ;)

LOL, difference I can run over the top of any tuner...:bgwb: When the zombie revolution starts, my VX can go anywhere, let my know how far the Honda Civic makes it...well, at least as long as I can fuel my lousy 12mpg.

Triathlete
04/01/2010, 12:26 PM
Yep, your late to the party....off roaders have been doing rock lights for quite some time. They however don't use them for repairs but for seeing where their tires are when it is dark out on the trail. All you need to do now is half doors and cut out the fronts of your floor boards and replace with plexiglass and you will be good to go!:bwgy:

Marlin
04/01/2010, 02:57 PM
Yep, your late to the party....off roaders have been doing rock lights for quite some time. They however don't use them for repairs but for seeing where their tires are when it is dark out on the trail. All you need to do now is half doors and cut out the fronts of your floor boards and replace with plexiglass and you will be good to go!:bwgy:

I am still arguing with the guy at the junkyard here in town for a silver VX. It is cosmetically fine, no front bumper, but it has a cracked block. I offered him 1K for it, he has had it for a few years. No parts moved off of it except bumper cover and some internal dash plastic. I would love to take the doors off, cut em in half and figure out a way to make it easy to swap for summer use. I would paint em black and swap out with my proton doors.
He wants me to give him $1500 for the whole truck. Guy behind the counter looked it up for me, he only paid $300 for it. Talk about a steal. Not sure about cutting out floor boards, since it is an Isuzu, if I wait a few years, they will probably just rust through on there own:)