PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! TOD LOCKED ITSELF

So-CalVX
03/30/2010, 07:06 PM
i searched quickly but couldn't find my problem anywhere...
i was at the beach, parked on some loose gravel and i decided i wanted to go home... this was two hours ago and i just made it home BECAUSE my TOD locked itself as soon as my wheels slipped in the gravel... the check light immediatly started flashing and i can tell it's locked and not a lighting issue cuz my turns are harsh... i drove twenty miles home at no more than 40 mph (i know, probably a bad idea) and it hasn't gone away... i shut the vx off 5 times to see if that might help, but nothing.. locks up and check light comes on immediately
any helpful advice... i'm not rich and this is my only mode of transportation :(

Gussie2000
03/30/2010, 08:08 PM
Damn !

I never heard such of TOD in locked mod :confused:

I think you may have to get a mech with the knowlegde in ISUZU TOD to find the source of the issue.

Mile High VX
03/30/2010, 08:17 PM
I'm sure you have shifted into 4L and back several times to make sure that's not the issue.

My next steps would be to check the sensor connections as one might have gotten loose in the gravel.

Next would be to have the TOD code checked to see what that tells you.

X2 on not hearing about this problem before...

So-CalVX
03/30/2010, 08:33 PM
yeah, switched in and out of 4l several times... i checked under the truck to see if anything was loose or off and i didn't see anything abnormal... and i tried disconnecting the battery for ten minutes once i got home to reset everything. when i turned it back on and drove it 5 feet the light started flashing again.
i'm taking it to my buddy tomorrow who was an isuzu tech but he's never worked on the tod system
this has happened before but only for a few minutes and the check light never flashed before, i just drove about a mile and it fixed itself
not a happy camper, i just bought my rims tires and had the lift installed and how does my bee repay me......

alterastro
03/30/2010, 08:42 PM
What lift have you had done? Could that have caused a problem with linkages?

When you shift in and out of 4L is there a noticeable engagement/disengagement and do the other tod lights come on and go off as they should?

Nick

So-CalVX
03/30/2010, 08:48 PM
i used the 919 springs and cranked the torsion bars... i don't think that could've done it... i installed that last friday and like i said, this has happened before just never stayed locked in and the check light never flashed before

i didn't notice any lock/unlock when i was shifting but that wasn't what i was looking for... also, the lights all stayed on except the AUTO in the middel went out... i'll check again in the morning when i get back from work... i have a friend taking me

djvx
03/30/2010, 10:04 PM
I'd suggest unhooking the positive battery cable, wait a few minutes and rehook it up. That should reset it.

tom4bren
03/31/2010, 03:04 AM
I don't think that disconnecting the battery resets TOD issues the way it does the main computer.

Check your tire pressure. I've had TOD lite flash when a tire got low.

WormGod
03/31/2010, 07:02 AM
I had this happen years ago when I was driving on the beach (sand, of course) except the CHECK TOD light was not on and it was not manually engaged in 4L. My ride back to my camp site was "harsh". Turns sucked, as you seem to be relating to as well. Before I got back to my site, I stopped at a do-it-yourself pressure wash and gave it a good blast-down to get some of the sand and salt off of it. I shot the undercarriage very thoroughly. The salty air and being so close to the water left sea salt crystals all over the my VX, which we all know, cars LOVE. When I started it up and left, all was good. Maybe salty air built up on something and the ECM didn't like it and something was triggered, dunno. Still a mystery to this day.

And definitely triple check tire pressure. I know in my case, I had to let loose some pressure to drive on the beach but refilled back up at the ranger station pumps on my way out. Even if you didn't let any out, still a good measure.

Also, I would reinspect everything you did during your lift. If this happened so close to install, I would mark that as primary suspect for now.

Keep us updated.

etlsport
03/31/2010, 07:41 AM
as gary mentioned, make sure your tire pressure is the same, make sure there are no damaged speed sensors

So-CalVX
03/31/2010, 02:03 PM
ok... i've done everything i can think of. tire pressure is equal on all corners, i have disconnected the battery for atleast an hour, i shifted in and out of 4L multiple times with no noticable change or shift. i checked all wires underneath and had no cracks or disconnected wires that i could see. i sprayed it down with a hose and i'm gonna drive it to work later tonight to pressure wash it.

if this does nothing i need to know how to temporarily "fix" this... do i disconnect the computer under the seat? can i do the TOD disconnect without manual hubs? will i destroy something by removing the driveshaft or cv's?

as i said before... this is my only ride and i am not a rich kid...
i don't want something so simple to be the reason i get rid of my VX

any help/helpful words/critisism accepted... i need help

deermagnet
03/31/2010, 02:28 PM
I would get up some speed on a dirt or grass surface and do an ABS stop.

The TOD controller tells the ABS when it's in TOD mode. The ABS tells the TOD when an ABS stop is occurring. Then the TOD controller eliminates the clutch pressing force during the ABS stop. TOD returns to normal after the stop.

It might just jar the TOD back to normal. If not, I would unplug the TOD computer. I don't know if that would hurt anything. It's up to you. You have to stop the TOD clutch pressing force somehow.

Mark

Edit: I see in your other post that the ABS is not working, so that's out. It woulda been interesting to see if that helped.

Triathlete
03/31/2010, 02:29 PM
Check the TOD fuse, try removing it. Check the sensors at all 4 wheels. Good luck.

Travelin2
03/31/2010, 03:27 PM
Richard: If you really need to drive it and it feels like it is binding to the point where you are afraid of damage then just drop the front drive shaft untill you can figure out what is going on with TOD. I installed hubs a while back so I can tow it 4 down and I leave the hubs in "free" all the time with no problems and zero binding on sharp turns. Its like putting a bag over TODs head or giving Ldub 4 beers...They just don't give a s%$t anymore.;)

Ldub
03/31/2010, 03:33 PM
Its like putting a bag over TODs head or giving Ldub 4 beers...They just don't give a s%$t anymore.;)

I wake up with a "Jimmy crack corn" attitude...:yesgray:

By four beers it's time for breakfast...:_beer:

So-CalVX
03/31/2010, 03:44 PM
ok.. i disconnected my tod computer 3 different ways...
1) small connecter close to driver - engine revs with brake applied lights still on (afraid to test drive with brake acceleration)
2) large connecter close to passenger door - lights off and two wheel drive (rear wheels) no problems yet
3) both connectors - same as 2

anybody have any advice, warnings, tips or criticism? speak up

(*I am now at the same point on two different threads... is there a way to merge them?*)