PDA

View Full Version : 4l30 problems

vafiatx19
03/30/2010, 06:11 AM
I apologize for this I am not a VX owner.:o I have a 2000 Honda Passport 3.2 2 wheel drive. Ok, don’t bash me too much:mado: but the thing (Passport) is just a Isuzu Rodeo with a Honda emblem on the grill and the VX and other Isuzu have same tranny and are similar and such. Anyway have been lurking on site for answers and this is a very helpful and useful site and would like to thank you very much. Here is the problem.. 4l30e trans..No shift indicator lights. No tran. Warning lights. No power/winter lights but it does work in P/W. Shifts like crap. Stalls engine in reverse when cold but works fine when warmed up and shifts great when warm after about 20 miles and a couple of stops shutting motor on and off. This is what has been done.. New range mode switch. Fluid filter change ( that’s when reverse when cold started, didn’t do that before) checked fuses and wiring over and over. Also new (used)ECM with no change to problem. Was told ATF could be reverse problem I used valvoline high mileage ATF and was told it was more DEX VI than DEXIII and this trans don’t like DEXVI. Has anyone had any similar issues??? I know if it needs a tran rebuild there is no miracle in a can, but I want to be sure it is toast before I replace it and not something electrical. Also no debris in pan when I done a fluid filter change. I am going to do a fluid drain and refill as soon as time permits. Thank again an this is one of the most informative sites I’ve found.

Mile High VX
03/30/2010, 07:03 AM
Can't help with your issue, but I'm guessing by your handle that you have a Fiat X 1/9...

I had one in high school and it was a blast. Hope yours is in great shape. You just don't see those anymore.

Good luck with the problem.

SlowPro48
03/30/2010, 07:39 AM
The problem with a lot of those high mileage products is that their "seal conditioners" also soften the gaskets. I imagine if your gaskets get all puffy and de-laminated it messes up the voodoo of an automatic transmission. Just look at all the little channels and orifices and check valves in a valve body and you'll see how critical flow and pressure balance are for proper AT functionality. Not saying this is your problem - automatic transmissions are a mystery to me - but you did say one of the symptoms cropped up after the change to high mileage ATF.

One thing I will say though is that if the problems go away after the transmission warms up, they're probably not electrical in nature.

Solitude
03/30/2010, 08:04 AM
I am sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.. but the is a specific procedure to replace the fluid in a 4L30.. do a search on that procedure here.. that info might help

vafiatx19
03/31/2010, 05:42 PM
:yesb:I would not believe it if I hadn’t done it myself! Drained and refiled fluid with generic Advance Auto DEXIII/MERC refilled shifted through gears NO MORE LOCK UP IN REVERSE!!! Finished filling and everything’s good. Still a little harsh shifting but will try a couple more drain and fills and see what happens. Thanks all I will keep you updated. Oh yes Mile High VX I do have a Fiat X1/9. Doing a total restore at the time, I’ve had a few.

vafiatx19
03/31/2010, 05:48 PM
Do not use the high mileage Valvoline ATF in these Transmissions. They do not like it!! :mad::mad::mad:I found out others have had problems too.

nfpgasmask
04/01/2010, 09:06 AM
You will probably get some good info over on PlanetIsuzoo.com. Also, If I were you, I would change the tranny filter also.

Bart

Mile High VX
04/01/2010, 10:42 AM
:yesb: Oh yes Mile High VX I do have a Fiat X1/9. Doing a total restore at the time, I’ve had a few.

SWEEEEET!

Photos when you're done...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb: