PDA

View Full Version : PK's rides

PK
03/30/2010, 03:47 AM
Ok ok ok, I submit.

Other nameless members have been hassling me to upload a photo of my VX.
Thanks Ldub and VX Kat.

So here tis -

Old photo of the VX taken before the cladding restoration and larger tyres installed.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/DCAM2292.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17163)

And my other love - the boat that I bought the VX to tow. 2200 lbs in the water. 2750 lbs when you include the trailer.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/DCAM2291.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17162)

I was waiting until it was detailed and looking spico, but I bow to the pressure.

So, now I am out of the closet - it feels good.
Oops - sorry, wrong topic, wrong forum.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

PK

Ldub
03/30/2010, 04:10 AM
:thumbup:.:dance:.:dan_ban:.:dance:.:thumbup:

Nice PK!...:yesgray:

tom4bren
03/30/2010, 05:22 AM
The boat looks about as unique as the VX.

Mile High VX
03/30/2010, 05:54 AM
Very nice PK.

Is it true that BOAT is just an acronnym for Bring Out Another Thousand?

tom4bren
03/30/2010, 06:57 AM
The two happiest day's in a boat owner's life: the day he buys ... & the day he sells.

Ldub
03/30/2010, 07:04 AM
Very nice PK.

Is it true that BOAT is just an acronnym for Bring Out Another Thousand?

Just as JEEP is an acronym for "Just Empty Every Pocket"...:laughing:

In reality, a boat is a semi dry spot in a body of water, into which one throws money...:yesgray:

Mile High VX
03/30/2010, 07:07 AM
:clap:

:thumbup:

PK
03/30/2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys.

Fully concur with the cost of owning a boat thing.

I always justify it by the amount of fresh fish I catch.

Buy your fish at the market takes about 1/2 hr and costs $18 - $25 per kg.
($9 - $11 per lb.)

Go fishing - take all day and costs about $100 per kg.

Logical to me - besides what man doesn't need a floating shed where the missus is off limits.

Boat is a bit unusual, but a basic catamaran design.
Extremely stable to fish from, and bullet proof in heavy seas.
I have seen a promo video where they actually ran a chainsaw down the centre line of the vessel. The 2 halves floated without any trouble.

30.4 kts flat out, cruises all day at about 25 kts.
I have owned it since 1988 and it has gone through all the kids things - fishing, kneeboarding, inner tubes, sking, sheeing, and now back to plain old fishing again.

PK

vt_maverick
03/31/2010, 05:13 AM
A little TJ, but since you're in Hobart and you own a boat, what do you think of the Sea Shepherd group?

tom4bren
03/31/2010, 06:30 AM
Boat is a bit unusual, but a basic catamaran design.
Extremely stable to fish from, and bullet proof in heavy seas.
I have seen a promo video where they actually ran a chainsaw down the centre line of the vessel. The 2 halves floated without any trouble.

I can see that. It looks like a pretty deep draft. IIRC, our sportster only has a 6" draft ... anything more than a moderate chop & we're getting wet.

PK
04/01/2010, 05:14 AM
A little TJ, but since you're in Hobart and you own a boat, what do you think of the Sea Shepherd group?

Well, first up, I agree with banning whaling.
They are absolutely magnificent creatures that never deliberately injure humans.
I have seen them close up (less than 150') from my boat - mother and calf, and the mother swan parallel to us just watching, but always between us and the calf.
Also seen several others from the shore, and from tourist boats.

That said, and at the risk of starting WW3, I think the Sea Shepard is manned by sea cowboys that have no right putting their, and others, lives at risk while they carry on with their media catching exploits in the open ocean.

I am involved in the Marine Industry, and all in the local industry knew that high tech boat was never coming back from down there.
It was just plain stupid.

If they used the money that is obviously behind them, to fight the Japanese in the World Courts, they would have a better chance of stopping the whaling, and not put anyone's life at risk.

Yes I would donate towards funding a fight in the courts, but not to stupidity.

Sorry guys and gals - Rant over.

PK

PK
04/01/2010, 05:29 AM
I can see that. It looks like a pretty deep draft. IIRC, our sportster only has a 6" draft ... anything more than a moderate chop & we're getting wet.

Horses for courses Tom.
I have looked at some of your Sportster photos and thought it would be a fun machine.

If we get some short steep chop around 3' high it starts slamming in the tunnel, and we get wet.
Ocean swells up to 10 - 15' are no problems - we can plane over the top provided we can feather the throttles at the right time.

I have always been a deep water fisherman (recreational only), and the weather is pretty changeable down here.
When the tuna are running, and the weather is half reasonable, we go out.
Up to 20 miles off shore, and probably 30 - 35 miles from safe havens.
You have to know you can get back, and that you could be called on to help someone else not as prepared as you are. We have been called on for that twice, and all ended well.
Twin engines, all safety gear, all good swimmers, and no alcohol on the boat.

Between the boat and the VX, I have all I want in life.:yesy::yeso:
(Suppose you could throw the missus and family in for good measure.)

PK

vt_maverick
04/01/2010, 08:18 AM
Well, first up, I agree with banning whaling.
They are absolutely magnificent creatures that never deliberately injure humans.
I have seen them close up (less than 150') from my boat - mother and calf, and the mother swan parallel to us just watching, but always between us and the calf.
Also seen several others from the shore, and from tourist boats.

That said, and at the risk of starting WW3, I think the Sea Shepard is manned by sea cowboys that have no right putting their, and others, lives at risk while they carry on with their media catching exploits in the open ocean.

I am involved in the Marine Industry, and all in the local industry knew that high tech boat was never coming back from down there.
It was just plain stupid.

If they used the money that is obviously behind them, to fight the Japanese in the World Courts, they would have a better chance of stopping the whaling, and not put anyone's life at risk.

Yes I would donate towards funding a fight in the courts, but not to stupidity.

Sorry guys and gals - Rant over.

PK

Agreed on all points. Thus endeth the TJ. ;)

Triathlete
04/01/2010, 12:37 PM
Since you bought the VX to haul the boat...

...how about loading the VX on the boat, sailing it on over to the U.S. west coast and joining us for in Moab in May!:bwgy:

Ldub
04/01/2010, 12:46 PM
Between the boat and the VX, I have all I want in life.:yesy::yeso:
(Suppose you could throw the missus and family in for good measure.)

PK

Is contentment a great feeling or what...:yesgray:

PK
04/01/2010, 11:01 PM
Since you bought the VX to haul the boat...

...how about loading the VX on the boat, sailing it on over to the U.S. west coast and joining us for in Moab in May!:bwgy:

Don't tempt me Billy.
I would love to be there.

One year all the planets will line up and I will make it.

Or if we ever got that International meet going that was discussed some time ago, I would be there.

PK

PK
04/01/2010, 11:07 PM
Is contentment a great feeling or what...:yesgray:

When you are having a good day, it's fanbloodytastic. :dan_ban::dan_ban::dan_ban:

When you are having a bad day, you can still smile and know you have the important things covered.

PK