PDA

View Full Version : Camping at Portal RV

BigSwede
03/29/2010, 07:07 AM
Just an FYI - I have been told the group tent sites at Portal are not available until the 10th :madb:

Since I am arriving the 9th, I will be sharing an individual tent site with Dave (Gizmo42), who is arriving the 8th.

So...AFAIK nobody from our group has reserved a group site for the 10th onward...

tomdietrying
03/29/2010, 07:50 AM
I've reserved it the last couple of years. I thought I'd just hand it off to someone else. I was under the impression you were going to do it.
Peace.
Tom

BigSwede
03/29/2010, 10:11 AM
I was going to, but none of the group sites are available on the 9th. I tried sweet-talking them into letting a few of us set up camp on the 9th, but they would not go for it.

I don't want to move camp after getting all set up, so I'm just going to stay at an individual tent site all week. So somebody else that is coming in on the 10th needs to reserve the group site.

tomdietrying
03/29/2010, 12:09 PM
O.K. It's taken care of. Everyone who is going to tent camp in Moab please stay at the Portal Campground in Moab. You will absolutly love it. Tell them you are staying at group site "C" . It's under the name ZuZu. We have the site from May 10 - 16th. You do not have to check in on the 10th or stay until the 16th.
Peace.
Tom

BigSwede
03/29/2010, 12:52 PM
Sounds good, thanks Tom.

BTW the group campsite is $8/person/night, showers are included.

ZEUS
03/29/2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the effort guys! And thank you Tom for getting that done. I'm still flying by the seat of my panties so don't know what I'll be wheeling in May yet! If it's the truck I'll be able to sleep wherever I get too drunk to drive from! If it's the VX I'll be at the Portal fo sho...

Triathlete
03/29/2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks Tom!

pbkid
03/29/2010, 10:01 PM
If it's the truck I'll be able to sleep wherever I get too drunk to drive from!

hmmm..... maybe i should set up a bed in the back of the runner and go by this plan ;)

ZEUS
03/30/2010, 07:19 AM
hmmm..... maybe i should set up a bed in the back of the runner and go by this plan ;)HAHA! Had you been able to do that in the VX you'd still have it! :p

Triathlete
03/30/2010, 09:41 AM
HAHA! Had you been able to do that in the VX you'd still have it! :p

Ouch!:bwgy:

Gizmo42
03/30/2010, 02:22 PM
Just got off the phone with Portal. NO tent sites at all until the 10th. Not even the individual ones. Apparently there is a rally there that weekend and they dont rent out tent sites during rallys :confused:

Not sure what I"m going to do about saturday and sunday nights now, too much of a pain to set up my tent somewhere else then move it after a couple days. And with a rally, other non tenting options may be very limited.

EDIT:

Just looked at their events calender and they dont have a rally listed for that weekend, just stuff during the week...

Thu-Sun 6-9
MOAB YOGA on the ROCKS - Backpacking yoga retreat - Moab Yoga on the Rocks is dedicated to delivering an enriching, refreshing and rejuvenating backpacking and outdoor yoga retreat. Fee charged. For more info visit moabyogaontherocks.com or call 801-842-6234.

Sat 8
Moab Art Walk - Stroll Moab's galleries, shops, and cafes and view fine locally created Moab art. The Moab Art Walk includes featured artists and receptions. Most exhibits run for a month or more so feel free to stop in anytime at participating locations! For more info visit moabartwalk.com or call 435-259-4446. 6pm-9pm

Sat 8
Moab Mountain Relay - This BACKSIDE 50 mile course is a relay-style race. You, plus a team of 5 of your favorite running buddies, will check out Moab from the “backside” as you run along the La Sal Mountain Loop Road. Feel the burn as you and your teammates tough through elevation changes that range from 4800 feet to 8800 feet. For more info visit moabrelay.com.

Sat-Sun 8-9
Moab Superjam - A new event funded by the Arts Council. Moab Superjam is a free, outdoor public concert showcasing Moab's thriving and lively local music scene. Superjam is produced by Stonefed, Moab's legendary jam band. The concert will take place at Old City Park, Moab's most beautiful and family-friendly outdoor music venue. Free Admission. Music from noon to 10 pm. For more info call 435 259 0734.

Wed-Sat 12-15
Rally on the Rocks - Rally on the Rocks is a UTV specific event with guided trail rides, UTV games, and vendor row. For more info visit rallyontherocks.com or call 661-213-6922. Old Spanish Trail Arena (3641 S. Highway 191)

Thu-Sun 13-16
Miatas In Moab IV - Over 250-300 Mazda Miata Sports Cars will converge in Moab representing 45+ Miata Clubs from 30+ states and Canada. Expected attendance is between 500-600. This event features drives, activities, and festivities. For more info call 801-597-1456.

VX crazy
03/30/2010, 02:25 PM

baby mattress from a crip would fit......not that I personally know or anything....

BigSwede
03/30/2010, 03:15 PM
And with a rally, other non tenting options may be very limited.

EDIT:
Just looked at their events calender and they dont have a rally listed for that weekend, just stuff during the week...
They told me it is a motorhome rally, big megabuck pushers. So I doubt that would affect the hotels much.

I guess we have to decide if we are going to go through the PITA of moving camp on Monday to Portal, or just staying somewhere else all week. I'm temped to just go to Canyonlands for the week, taking my business elsewhere if Portal won't accommodate us.

Or maybe I'll sleep in the Trooper Sunday night. I'm guessing sunrise looks pretty cool from Gold Bar Rim...

Gizmo42
03/30/2010, 03:29 PM
Sent you a pm on the other board, thinking of maybe bringing my small weekend tent and setting up by the river for the first couple nights. Then set up the big tent at portal on the 10th in the group site. At least the small one I have is easy to set up and take down and doesnt take up much extra room.

Might look into staying somewhere else after this year. Apparently they dont want business from those of us who dont spend 1/2 million bux on rolling houses.

BigSwede
03/30/2010, 03:37 PM
Heh, well they are trying to sell those $$ little lots...I'm sure they view the pusher crowd as more likely buyers than us tent folks, and prioritize accordingly...

Dumke
03/30/2010, 04:07 PM
baby mattress from a crip would fit......not that I personally know or anything....

HAHA.....

Thanks Tom as always... See those of you staying at the portal site sometime monday I hope :D

nfpgasmask
03/30/2010, 04:18 PM
Damn, I wish I could go to this:

Thu-Sun 13-16
Miatas In Moab IV - Over 250-300 Mazda Miata Sports Cars will converge in Moab representing 45+ Miata Clubs from 30+ states and Canada. Expected attendance is between 500-600. This event features drives, activities, and festivities. For more info call 801-597-1456.

Triathlete
03/30/2010, 05:34 PM
Kind of funny that they still show the UTV thing the same week. I have read elsewhere that it has changed dates. Hmmmm!:_wtf::_thinking

tomdietrying
03/30/2010, 07:27 PM
They told me it is a motorhome rally, big megabuck pushers. So I doubt that would affect the hotels much.

I guess we have to decide if we are going to go through the PITA of moving camp on Monday to Portal, or just staying somewhere else all week. I'm temped to just go to Canyonlands for the week, taking my business elsewhere if Portal won't accommodate us.

Or maybe I'll sleep in the Trooper Sunday night. I'm guessing sunrise looks pretty cool from Gold Bar Rim...

Hey guys! We are a group. I think those coming to camp should stick together if not for the friendship....then maybe because we need 10-15 people in a group in order to reserve the group site.

That's just my 2 cents.

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
03/30/2010, 10:33 PM
Damn, I wish I could go to this:

Thu-Sun 13-16
Miatas In Moab IV - Over 250-300 Mazda Miata Sports Cars will converge in Moab representing 45+ Miata Clubs from 30+ states and Canada. Expected attendance is between 500-600.

It's also a great source for rear side marker lenses...:naughty:...:smilewink

They were in Moab at the same time as us two or three years ago.

pbkid
03/31/2010, 11:36 PM
Hey guys! We are a group. I think those coming to camp should stick together if not for the friendship....then maybe because we need 10-15 people in a group in order to reserve the group site.

That's just my 2 cents.

Peace.
Tom
ill be camping again his year tom. so expect to see me there.

ouch...... ouch......

phines
04/03/2010, 09:46 PM
Can't wait! I finally get to make it back to Moab this year! I'll be joining you guys at Portal if that's OK. Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and meeting a lot of new ones. :)
________
Ipad cases (http://accesoriesipad.com/)

BigSwede
04/03/2010, 10:38 PM
I'll be joining you guys at Portal if that's OK.

Sure, plenty of room at the group campsite...

tomdietrying
04/04/2010, 07:59 AM
phines,
I don't know when you are leaving, but Scott H. and I are leaving Saturday morning. We should be in the Taos area Saturday evening. If you want to hook up with us somewhere you are more than welcome.
Peace.
Tom

phines
04/04/2010, 08:37 AM
phines,
I don't know when you are leaving, but Scott H. and I are leaving Saturday morning. We should be in the Taos area Saturday evening. If you want to hook up with us somewhere you are more than welcome.
Peace.
Tom

Are you guys staying the night in Taos and driving the rest on Sunday? We might be able to work something out if that's the case. :yesy:

My place is a good midpoint. If you're looking to save some $$$, you're welcome to stay the night here. It's not quite Taos, but it's a pretty nice place and there's plenty of room! ;Db;
________
INFANT PAXIL (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

tomdietrying
04/15/2010, 06:18 AM
Paul,
Thanks for the offer. Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner. Our travel plans are not defined yet. Normally, the first day we go through Alberquerqe and camp near Jemez Springs. We've been doing that for 5 years, so we might change it up. We were thinking going somewhere near Taos that first night. Then maybe go hang in the hot springs in Pagosa Springs. We will see. Anyhow, I'll see Scott at the mini meet this Sunday and we will clarify things.

If we do go the other route, we would still like to meet up with you on the way.

Peace.
Tom

Gizmo42
04/15/2010, 09:40 AM
For those of us staying in the group site, do we have to call and make a reservation or just show up on that day and sign in then? I've never stayed in the group site before so dont know how it works.

ZEUS
04/15/2010, 10:07 AM
I signed up when I got there.

tomdietrying
04/15/2010, 11:02 AM
I reserved Group Site "C". You may want to call just to let them know you are coming. I think we need 12 people showing up to have the site. Each person will pay however many days they stay.
Peace.
Tom

Dumke
04/19/2010, 02:40 PM
I reserved Group Site "C". You may want to call just to let them know you are coming. I think we need 12 people showing up to have the site. Each person will pay however many days they stay.
Peace.
Tom

OK I just spoke with the lady at portal. Tom she said we have camp site "D" is this correct? Just making sure ducks are in a row.. Or maybe this was posted somewhere else???

tomdietrying
04/19/2010, 04:24 PM
We've always had group site "C" I guess it wouldn't really matter much if it was "D".
Peace.
Tom

BigSwede
04/19/2010, 06:53 PM
"D" is the site by itself, further back by the ponds.

I have stayed there before, not a big deal either way I guess.

Triathlete
04/19/2010, 08:46 PM
Made my res for the group site today!:bwgy: See you all there!

PHO2GR4
04/19/2010, 09:24 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. Have we decided if it's C or D yet? Probably doesn't matter...if we just check in at the office, they'll set us straight.

Side note: Miatas in Moab??? I don't get it.

Dumke
04/19/2010, 10:42 PM
I am merly saying what she said.. Tom... and your last name camp site "D" . I said you sure? We show "C" ... Yeah either way was just passing along info when i tried to reserve my spot on "C"

Triathlete
04/19/2010, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. Have we decided if it's C or D yet? Probably doesn't matter...if we just check in at the office, they'll set us straight.

Just tell em your with the ZUZOO group and they will know where to send you... plus all the VXs and Zus should be a dead giveaway.
As far as Miatas...there are some great roads there with awesome views.

Scott Harness
04/20/2010, 07:01 AM
As far as Miatas...there are some great roads there with awesome views.

Yea! the La Sal Mountain loop is fantastic!

Triathlete
04/20/2010, 08:26 AM
For all that were asking...I just got my conformation from Portal and we are in group site "D".:yesy:

PHO2GR4
04/20/2010, 10:35 AM
By the ponds it is!!!

Ldub
04/20/2010, 10:41 AM
By the ponds it is!!!

We have a pool...& a pond...

The pond would be good for you Carl...:laughing:

Gizmo42
04/20/2010, 01:09 PM
Group site D is actually a little better for those who like/need to plug stuff into their trucks. Can park by your tent.

You didnt know that miatas have some mad flex? Just throw on some 33's. No need to trim, they will self clearance.

phines
04/20/2010, 03:19 PM
I made my reservations a few minutes ago. Red Rock for Sunday night and Portal until Saturday! I think I ended up reserving Tent Site D, which is separate from Group Site D. It's right nearby, either way...
________
Stranger originated life insurance forum (http://www.insurance-forums.org/stranger-originated-life-insurance/)

phines
04/20/2010, 03:21 PM
You didnt know that miatas have some mad flex? Just throw on some 33's. No need to trim, they will self clearance.

The self clearance method works best when a decent set of chains is included. :)
________
Extreme q vaporizer (http://extremevaporizer.net/)

tomdietrying
04/22/2010, 06:19 AM
Peace.
Tom

O.K. I called to see what the confusion was all about. Here is what I found out. Group site "C" was reserved for us, but they gave us group site "D" instead. I'm not sure why it happened, but it happened. Anyhow, group site "D" is not the best site, so I asked if we could have A or B. A was available, so I switched it. We are in group site "A" It a really good site too.
Peace.
Tom

BigSwede
04/22/2010, 06:34 AM
Hopefully I can still set up close enough to the parking area to run my power cord for my CPAP...probably have to have my tent right by the pavilion. Eh, I'll figure something out.

tomdietrying
04/22/2010, 11:07 AM
Swede,
Group site "A" is the closest group site to the pavillion. Things should work out well.
Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
04/22/2010, 02:18 PM
As long as I have a place to throw the tent I will be happy!:bgwo:

Gizmo42
04/22/2010, 04:10 PM
According to their drawing, group site B is right behind the pavillion. Group site A is behind the showers/restrooms and there is no close parking...

http://www.portalrvresort.com/w/site-map-res.pdf

ZEUS
04/22/2010, 04:38 PM
Huh, I think it's lame they did that... just sayin. I'll either leave the dog at home so I can stay there this year or I'll have to stay at a friend's place.

BigSwede
04/22/2010, 05:31 PM
According to their drawing, group site B is right behind the pavillion. Group site A is behind the showers/restrooms and there is no close parking...

http://www.portalrvresort.com/w/site-map-res.pdf
I'll have to park next to the pavilion and put my tent just behind it sort of...either that or sneak an extension cord into the pavilion before I go to bed.

Gizmo42
04/22/2010, 07:11 PM
I dont need to plug in my laptop in my tent. Its just kinda cool to post up the days events at the end of the day before turning out the light, or watch a dvd. But my laptop runs about 3 hrs on battery. I'm going to have to figure out how to do my air mattress though. My pump is 120 volt and the mattress is WAY too big to fit through the door once inflated. Takes a lot of air to fill a queen size double height air mattress.

Depending on where and how I set up my tent you may be able to use my extension cords. Gonna bring about 150-200'. This is why I said site D was better.

tomdietrying
04/22/2010, 07:18 PM
I didn't get group site "B" because we would have to leave on Friday the 14th.
"A" we can keep it until the 15th.
Peace.
Tom

Gizmo42
04/22/2010, 08:07 PM
15th? several of us are leaving on the 16th. I thought the site was originally booked 10th-16th?

Ldub
04/22/2010, 09:21 PM
As long as all Y'all happy campers can find your way to the ROCK...eva'tang gonna be O-tay...:yesgray:

phines
04/22/2010, 09:51 PM
I dont need to plug in my laptop in my tent. Its just kinda cool to post up the days events at the end of the day before turning out the light, or watch a dvd. But my laptop runs about 3 hrs on battery. I'm going to have to figure out how to do my air mattress though. My pump is 120 volt and the mattress is WAY too big to fit through the door once inflated. Takes a lot of air to fill a queen size double height air mattress.

Depending on where and how I set up my tent you may be able to use my extension cords. Gonna bring about 150-200'. This is why I said site D was better.

I will have several DC to AC inverters with me. Feel free to borrow one if you need it... :bwgy:
________
Watch xxx (http://www.****tube.com/)

PHO2GR4
04/22/2010, 09:54 PM
Huh, I think it's lame they did that... just sayin. I'll either leave the dog at home so I can stay there this year or I'll have to stay at a friend's place.

I'm bringin' my dog...they're allowed at Portal, right?

RallyDude
04/22/2010, 11:32 PM
If you look at the campsite map, the dog area was by campsite c. looks like there's some private tent sites, with parking the same as the group sites, so maybe if there's enough people to fill the group sites, those with dogs could camp nearby in the tent sites, we're all going to park in the same place anyway. However, if we could tell them we already had pets booked, and needed C, maybe they would hook us up.

If I can come I have a mattress inflator, that has it's own battery. I'll bring that, or for $8 at Walmart, you can have one yourself. Charge has taken me through 3 weeks of camping, moving every few days, still had plenty of charge when I got home, have had it for 5 years. Also had 1 that ran off the cigarette lighter, but it wasn't good for walk in sites, and didn't hold up as long, though it was lighter..

ZEUS
04/23/2010, 08:00 AM
I'm bringin' my dog...they're allowed at Portal, right?Menace is considered to be a member of one of the "aggressive breeds" and therefore is not allowed at the Portal Campground. I have gotten away with having him there in the past (barely) but that was cuz we weren't in the middle of all the buildings and I said he was a greyhound.

tom4bren
04/23/2010, 08:04 AM
Menace is considered ... a greyhound.

LMFAO

Put a 'lectric fan on him & he'll be considered a Great Dane???

ZEUS
04/23/2010, 08:15 AM
LMFAO

Put a 'lectric fan on him & he'll be considered a Great Dane???No, he already has an electric fan and that brought out his inner greyhound - that's why he is so tall and fast! :p

phines
04/23/2010, 08:45 AM
I'm bringin' my dog...they're allowed at Portal, right?

I'm bringing mine too. I reserved one of the private tent sites (site D) so he wouldn't annoy everyone else. If there's room, you're welcome to join us.
________
Buy roor bongs (http://glassbongs.org/)

Gizmo42
04/23/2010, 09:49 AM
I will have several DC to AC inverters with me. Feel free to borrow one if you need it... :bwgy:

I have a 1000w inverter in my rodeo that I usually plug into. Great for running the air pump and watching movies on laptop in case of bad weather or just relaxing. The issue is just being able to park close enough to use it.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/inverter1.jpg

phines
04/23/2010, 10:22 AM
Sweet set up! Didn't realize parking was a problem with the group sites.
________
Coach Handbags (http://icoachhandbags.com/)

VX KAT
04/23/2010, 12:24 PM
FYI Info on doggie care:
I found a cool place called "Karen's canine campground" about 1 1/2 mile South of town on 191: 435-259-7922
~ 3000 sf open land( with fencing of course)
~ like a dog park / big backyard type setting
~ dogs are free to roam around
~ wading pools
~ 12x20 canopy in outdoor area
~ with "cabins" & "bedrooms" (4x6x10' high)
~ each bedroom has 10x6 covered run w/access to open outdoor area 24/7
~ leaves bedroom doors open a bit at night so they can go to outdoor area at will
~ if any problems with other dogs, she can put them in their bedroom
~ each room has 2 cots & blankets
~ open 830am - 430pm for doggie daycare
~ price INCLUDES all day + leaving overnight until noon next day, that way if you miss the 430 pm time, they can stay overnight no problem
~ Need to show up to date shots
~ Must be neutered/spayed
~ If under 3, must show they've had the booster shots (DLPP)
~ $20/dog/day for single dog
~ $15/dog/day for 3 dogs together

~ I reserved 5/12, 5/13, 5/14 for 3 dogs. Paul (phines) and I are going to try to put our 3 dogs together for the $15 rate. (my 2 + his 1)
~ Rate is so reasonable that I reserved the 3 days, even if we don't use them, we'll pay for them to have this as a backup plan.
Justin, I wonder if Menace could stay here part of the time? I didn't ask about breed specific issues, and the lady never asked me what breed I had, so maybe??

From a Moab travel site gomoab.com
Karen's Canine Campground
Karen is awesome and has a wonderful facility. Bubba has stayed here many times with other doggy friends and loves it. This is a great choice if you're going out for a long ride or day trip. Pick your dog up in the late afternoon and they are pooped for a night by the fire. Tell them Chris at Gomoab.com sent you.
(435) 259-7922

They don't have a website, but here's some info:
http://canyonlandsnationalpark.explorefourcorners.com/ - scroll down to almost the very bottom for pic.

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Moab-UT/Karens-Canine-Campground-L0142317373.htm
http://www.petcaresearch.net/boarding/utah/karens_canine_campground.html

BigSwede
04/23/2010, 06:39 PM
Sweet set up! Didn't realize parking was a problem with the group sites.
Not a problem for most, there is plenty of parking. It just isn't necessarily within 20 feet of your tent...